PDA

View Full Version : Wild warrior

Dlabuga
2017-10-23, 12:52 PM
Hello ppl,

I want to make a wild warrior character who rides a rhino and train my rhino for battle and have the help of other animals. I want to be more intimate with animals than with humans.

Two handed user. Good defensive abilities, and ok with offensive ones.

Something like that.

Its possible.

Human/ all books (no dragon magazine), 32 buy points/ level 20 character.

gkathellar
2017-10-23, 01:09 PM
In practice, the best way to do this is druid ... that said, I get the feeling that you're not looking for a spellcaster.

It's too bad you're not able to go halfling, as Halfling Outrider can get a really strong mount by combining paladin w/beastmaster.

AnimeTheCat
2017-10-23, 01:14 PM
You could be a Wild Shape variant Ranger that focuses most of your ability on Wild Empathy and Handle Animal. I know that's really vague, but without allowed sources and such I can't really offer much more.

Dlabuga
2017-10-23, 01:15 PM
In practice, the best way to do this is druid ... that said, I get the feeling that you're not looking for a spellcaster.

Well can be druid but i need warrior style u know

Dlabuga
2017-10-23, 01:16 PM
You could be a Wild Shape variant Ranger that focuses most of your ability on Wild Empathy and Handle Animal. I know that's really vague, but without allowed sources and such I can't really offer much more.

We can use all 3.5 sources except Dragon magazine.

AnimeTheCat
2017-10-23, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Ranger 5/Beastmaster 10 gets you 5 animal companions at varying degrees of power. Wild Empathy can allow you to get magical beasts with tricks as well. Apply the Wartrained (I think that's the name it) template to all of them for extra HD and ability scores. You can do this by yourself with time and the Handle Animal Skill. The last 5 levels need to be something that allows your Animal Companion levels to increase, so I would suggest more ranger (if you use the wild shape variant this gets you more uses as an added benefit).

Dlabuga
2017-10-23, 02:20 PM
How about 5 paladin/5 ranger/10 beastmaster with devoted tracker and divine feats

AnimeTheCat
2017-10-23, 02:41 PM
How about 5 paladin/5 ranger/10 beastmaster with devoted tracker and divine feats

Sure, It gets you a mount and charisma to saves and a few other cool things I guess. Sounds like a fun idea to me. You'll be lackluster compared to a level 20 full caster, but you'll have an army of animals at your command so that's gonna be cool.

Dlabuga
2017-10-23, 03:02 PM
Sure, It gets you a mount and charisma to saves and a few other cool things I guess. Sounds like a fun idea to me. You'll be lackluster compared to a level 20 full caster, but you'll have an army of animals at your command so that's gonna be cool.

Just need to be fun.. cuz we have like 2-3 PCs overpowered .

But I’m accepting more suggestions

daremetoidareyo
2017-10-23, 06:37 PM
A psychic warrior with astral construct power and the persist power feat could be interesting.

You could take that call weapon acf and tremendous charge magic lances.

There is a feat in Dragon 318 that is an update to the Oriental Adventures sourcebook called strength of the charger that a human character can take at first level and it will give you bonus hit points every time you are on your mount, which should pair with Vigor and share pain shenanigans

Mr Adventurer
2017-10-24, 06:51 AM
As someone currently doing this with a horse-mounted Druid, I recommend Druid.

Hiro Quester
2017-10-24, 08:01 AM
with druid you can do all that you described, and then also become a rhino. you and your rhino AC taking turns charging back and forth at a pair of targets can be rather devastating.

EDIT:
Some other ingredients worth considering:

A feral Barbarian type might be good: check out Fist of the Forest. Something like barbarian/beastmaster/fist of the forest could be a devastating warrior, with feral trance and range stacking.

Wild Plains Outrider (3 level PrC) also fits the theme well, if you have room. The theme fits, even if the abilities are kinda meh.

Eldariel
2017-10-24, 09:48 AM
Druid can be made a warrior. Use wildshape for physical stats in biped forms, use spells to buff your weapons (starting from Shillelagh, Brambles and Spikes) and then use your animal companion for a Rhino (level 7 option), Wild Empathy+Speak with Animals+Diplomacy+Handle Animals all the things you encounter and in general, focus on naturey skills and spells. Then just use magic like Animal Growth, Greater Magic Fang and company on your animal friends and have them be your eyes and ears while you whack people in the head with giant clubs.

Yeah, Warrior Druid all the way. You can probably kick any Barbarian's ass essily enough using your buff spells and abilities.