PDA

View Full Version : Need ways to heavily increase attack bonus

StriderITP
2017-10-23, 04:50 PM
A character I'm trying to make incurs some heavy penalties due to the weapons he's using (making use of Legacy Weapons for fluff reasons). What are some ways of heavily boosting that attack bonus up to mitigate the penalties I'll be facing?

PhantasyPen
2017-10-23, 04:54 PM
What type of character are you? Race, Class, feats, intended character concept?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 05:18 PM
A bard (take Leadership for one if you don't have access to one).
Enchantment bonus(Magic weapon).
Taking damage as a Crusader.
Knowledge Devotion.
STR boost.
Making your enemies pron(buy a wolf or an Animal caort/companion).

More information will help.

Edit:
Flanking and some flanking feats.

StriderITP
2017-10-23, 05:25 PM
The character in question is an Orc Crusader/Master of Nine/Legacy Champion (it's gestalt, so there are other classes, but those are the main ones since I haven't decided on what other classes will be used). The weapons he'll be using are the special discipline legacy weapons out of Tome of Battle. In total, I need to mitigate a whopping -18 to attack rolls.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 05:42 PM
The character in question is an Orc Crusader/Master of Nine/Legacy Champion (it's gestalt, so there are other classes, but those are the main ones since I haven't decided on what other classes will be used). The weapons he'll be using are the special discipline legacy weapons out of Tome of Battle. In total, I need to mitigate a whopping -18 to attack rolls.

You can be a bard on the another side and take song of the white raven and all the boosters to your song(I don't remember them and I can't add links to the handbooks because I am using my phone).

Take Knowledge Devotion as a feat if you can or dip Cleric for it.
Buy wands of Grater Magic Weapon at the highest CL you can in order to use it on your weapon(you can find another way to get it).
Make your STR the highest and buy some items to boost it.

Find a Flanking buddy.
U
se maneuver that let you trip your enemies, roll 2 attacks and so.
Get stace that give you bonus to attack, there are some in white raven and if I remember correctly one of them only work for charge attacks but give a very nice bonus.
(I think you know which maneuvers and stace will help you as you choose a ToB class).

Edit:
Start the fight in a way that will let you get damage for your attack bonus from you HP pool from you Crusader.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-23, 05:50 PM
Knight of the Middle Circle gives you +2 for a one-level dip (and has dead-easy prereqs), and up to +6 if you take all ten levels.

Also, why are you attuning to... what, six different legacy weapons?

Goaty14
2017-10-23, 06:19 PM
-18 to attack rolls.

What in the nine hells did you do!?

Divine Power

emeraldstreak
2017-10-24, 04:57 AM
Wraithstrike (inc. swift version) and True Strike.

Fizban
2017-10-24, 06:04 AM
Also, why are you attuning to... what, six different legacy weapons?
Because he is the Master of Nine Six.

Darrin
2017-10-24, 07:15 AM
In total, I need to mitigate a whopping -18 to attack rolls.

Can you fit in Bloodstorm Blade 4/Exotic Weapon Master 1?

Attach a Dragonstone Pommel with the Morphing property to each martial weapon. Morph it into something exotic (greatsword -> jovar, scimitar -> khopesh, etc.). Take the Throw Exotic Weapon stunt, and read the first sentence of that ability: "The character can throw an exotic weapon with no penalty on the attack roll, even if it isn't designed to be thrown (such as an orc double axe or a spiked chain)." (emphasis added)

Telonius
2017-10-24, 07:27 AM
I feel dirty for even suggesting this, but a Ring of True Strike. Pay what it should actually cost (400k).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-24, 11:34 AM

Attach a Dragonstone Pommel with the Morphing property to each martial weapon. Morph it into something exotic (greatsword -> jovar, scimitar -> khopesh, etc.). Take the Throw Exotic Weapon stunt, and read the first sentence of that ability: "The character can throw an exotic weapon with no penalty on the attack roll, even if it isn't designed to be thrown (such as an orc double axe or a spiked chain)." (emphasis added)

He can do it with something I saw in your signature if he use Morphing without using levels for it.

Tormtor School (Drow of the Underdark). This feat was designed to let you stab people with a javelin and then throw the javelin at another target within 30' as a swift action. However, since javelins are not designed to be melee weapons and normally incur a -4 improvised weapon penalty, the designers included this little gem: "You take no penalty when making a melee attack with a javelin." So... welcome to the ULTIMATE TWF feat! By RAW, the text doesn't specify which penalty, so it applies to all penalties: improvised, weapon size, TWF, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Str penalty, fighting defensively, etc.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-24, 12:05 PM

Oooh, that's sneaky. I like it.

Darrin
2017-10-24, 12:33 PM
He can do it with something I saw in your signature if he use Morphing without using levels for it.

Wow. I'd completely forgotten about Tormtor School. I guess there are two ways to do it: Morph all your weapons in javelins (which may not work, as you can't morph a two-handed weapon into a one-handed weapon), or use a Dragonstone Pommel with the Aptitude property. Just one feat and six pommels, so no need for Bloodstorm Blade/Exotic Weapon Master.

Kitsuneymg
2017-10-24, 12:41 PM
I mean, I get you want to use weapons that have a history and can be traced through the ages. Why do you have to use the Legacy Weapons rules if you're doing it for fluff reasons? Name each one, give it an epic history, and then stat it out as a normal weapon. If you need to upgrade them, make sure you have that ability via dips into the proper classes in your off gestalt side, or get your DM to let you import Master Craftsman feat from PF. There's no reason you have to use a particular source book to implement a particular piece of fluff since fluff is, by it's nature, not defined by rules.

My $0.02

Psyren
2017-10-24, 04:15 PM
Where are the penalties coming from? Can you itemize them? You might get more bang from your optimization buck by eliminating some of those than by coming up with a pile of bonuses to counteract them. Better yet, it might not take you that many more build resources to do some of both.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-24, 04:34 PM
I mean, I get you want to use weapons that have a history and can be traced through the ages. Why do you have to use the Legacy Weapons rules if you're doing it for fluff reasons? Name each one, give it an epic history, and then stat it out as a normal weapon. If you need to upgrade them, make sure you have that ability via dips into the proper classes in your off gestalt side, or get your DM to let you import Master Craftsman feat from PF. There's no reason you have to use a particular source book to implement a particular piece of fluff since fluff is, by it's nature, not defined by rules.

My $0.02

I'm only mentioning this since I'm not sure you're aware, but the items he's using already exist as Weapons of Legacy, with official stats in the Tome of Battle book. If you're saying you have a dislike of the system itself however and are already aware of that... well I don't know what to say.

To the OP, why are you trying to use all those legacy weapons? It seems excessive to me. But I suppose you could get a permanent Rune of True Strike stitched into your clothing, and activate it as a free action before you attack each turn.

animewatcha
2017-10-24, 07:07 PM
If the character is going to be a melee-er, half-mino template fixes the attack bonus issue real good.

JyP
2017-10-25, 10:14 AM
I'm only mentioning this since I'm not sure you're aware, but the items he's using already exist as Weapons of Legacy, with official stats in the Tome of Battle book. If you're saying you have a dislike of the system itself however and are already aware of that... well I don't know what to say.
Seems to me all these weapons are designed to be wielded by one guy each, not one guy having 6 of them ^^

One other way to do it would be to change the -2 or -3 attack penalty on each weapon - on Weapons of Legacy book p. 185 you have all possible costs associated with legacy items. You could use table 4-3 or 4-5 which grants skill check penalties instead.

edit: as you are a legacy champion, ask your DM if he could replace "Replace Legacy Ability" class feature with a new one to "Replace Legacy Costs".

edit edit: items of legacy have legacy costs to balance their very low gp cost - each one cost only 55,000 gp at level 20 through legacy rituals. Another way would be to spend your WBL to have magic items duplicates, but you have to compute their gp cost.

Telonius
2017-10-25, 01:18 PM
Hold on a sec ...

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source

All of the penalties are Attack penalties. There is nothing that says Attack penalties stack with themselves. In fact ...

Attack Penalty: This is a permanent penalty on all your attack rolls. Multiple values in the same column are not cumulative, instead representing the total penalty applied

It's written with the assumption that you only have one weapon, yes. But the text does say that the values are not cumulative; in other words, they don't stack with each other.

Psyren
2017-10-25, 03:53 PM
"Attack" isn't a type though, it's describing what the penalty applies to. Similarly, if you take several different "penalty on skill checks" that's not a type either, and they'd all stack.

Types are things like enhancement, insight, circumstance, luck, sacred/profane etc.