PDA

View Full Version : So you get dropped into the Pokemon anime verse...

Blackhawk748
2017-10-23, 05:57 PM
And you figure "What the hell? Lets be a trainer!" what team do you go for? Personally i feel you can go for pretty much anything cuz the anime trainers are.... not overly bright. Seriously, season 1 someone was at the Indigo Plateau with a friggin Tentacool. A Tentacool. Just...wow. I mean, i get stats arent really a thing in the anime (i mean they sorta are but you know what i mean) but its really only Ash who is doing the unevolved pokemon thing and succeeding.

Anyway, my end game team would probably look like this:

Dodrio (if PTU has taught me anything, being able to cover ground that fast is amazing)
Nidoking (i love my Wall Breaker)
Aggron (hopefully with a Mega stone)
Snorlax (need my tank)
Tangela (gotta find that Eviolite)
Lunatone ( i will teach it Moonblast, Moonlight, and Ancient Power and everyone shall cower in fear!)

Honorable mentions
Tauros
Flygon
Haxorus
Beedrill (Mega clearly)
Heracross
Steelix
Arbbok
Muk
Torterra
Venasaur
Venomoth
Rhydon
Toxapex

Ya, i know it doesnt look like an OU team, but thats mostly cuz assembling a typical Smogon OU team would be a nightmare. Seriously, so many of those pokemon are stupid rare and im not even sure that sort of style would work well. What Smogon (and other tournament users) do that would swork well is constant switches. Seriously, trainers in the anime almost never switch out if they are in a bad match up, they just try to muscle through.

So ya, what would you go with?

Green Elf
2017-10-23, 10:27 PM
6 glitched level 132 Mewtwos(Pokemon Red)
They have infinite recovers and super high defense. I might teach them hyper beam.

Unbeatable

Blackhawk748
2017-10-23, 10:37 PM
6 glitched level 132 Mewtwos(Pokemon Red)
They have infinite recovers and super high defense. I might teach them hyper beam.

Unbeatable

Uuuh how are you getting those?

Callos_DeTerran
2017-10-23, 11:41 PM
I'd probably end up capturing an Aegislash and join Team Skull while I hone my sword-fighting skills.

Why? Cause I will become king/queen after getting my Aegislash (and other Ghost pokemon) skills on lock and Team Skull is a pretty chill group. Plus not-Hawaii looks like a great place to live...so does Not-France but the temptation of that ultimate weapon is mighty strong.

Kyberwulf
2017-10-23, 11:57 PM
Do the Pokemon have the same temperament and drawbacks of trying to train a real creature like they do in the series?

Blackhawk748
2017-10-24, 12:09 AM
Do the Pokemon have the same temperament and drawbacks of trying to train a real creature like they do in the series?

You're in the Anime-verse so ya, all rules that apply there apply to you. So be careful with those Tyrannitars

Talion
2017-10-24, 12:31 AM
I remember doing something like this for myself a couple years back. Of course, I had to set some ground rules for myself to make things interesting:

1. No legendaries. Pretty self explanatory.
2. No dragons. Too rare (in canon), too powerful, too overused in the meta.
3. No type repeats. Makes things a little more difficult, but also helpful in a competitive sense.
4. Able to catch/train/handle. For example, if I'm being honest with myself, I probably couldn't handle a Gyarados' general temperament. Plus raising it from Magikarp would be such a headache. By extension, the fossil Pokemon are probably too rare for me as a 'normal' trainer to get.
5. Have to be familiar with it. As I only played gens 1,2,3 and Sun/Moon, it wouldn't feel right to pick and chose off Bulbapedia's full list, even if there could be contenders in there. So in a lot of ways, I'm working with around 1/2 of the total list.

So, with the above in mind, for a primary team...I think something like this:

Arcanine
Blastoise
Bewear
Nidoqueen
Mimikyu
Ampharos

Honorable Mentions:

Aggron (As with the Gyarados example above, probably too aggressive for me to handle)
Lapras (Too Rare in most eras, Water Type covered by Blastoise, uncomfortable with using it in a water-less environment)
Lycanrock (Not as familiar with as I am the others)
Ninetails (Fire Type covered by Arcanine)
Riboombee (Fairy Type covered by Mimikyu)
Snorlax (Rare, training/handling difficult)
Sandslash (Ground Type covered by Nidoqueen)
Starmie (Water Type covered by Blastoise, wouldn't mind switching out for better type coverage)

There's probably more to the Honorable Mention list, but I've hit the high points at least.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-24, 12:39 AM
I'd probably end up capturing an Aegislash and join Team Skull while I hone my sword-fighting skills.

Why? Cause I will become king/queen after getting my Aegislash (and other Ghost pokemon) skills on lock and Team Skull is a pretty chill group. Plus not-Hawaii looks like a great place to live...so does Not-France but the temptation of that ultimate weapon is mighty strong.

.....you do know that Aegislash and its pre-evolved forms does INCREDIBLY bad things to people who tried to wield them like swords right? like, Honedge and Doublade drain your life force, and Aegislash is like, some ghost in a sword trying to possess people.

if stats weren't a thing, I'd like just pick all the pokemon I like and battle people with them probably. I'd think I'd be happy just traveling around with my pokemon to be honest. Like, I'd probably have a tendency towards certain types of pokemon over others.....I think mostly Dragon/Fairy/Steel because I think they're cool? though getting a hard team down would probably be difficult for me since I like so many pokemon, so I'd have to constantly rotate them around to train them, and of course I'd have to do weird shenanigans involving two Eevees to get both Sylveon and Glaceon.

though I might go to Team Skull and like, use Sunny Day on their town at least. Maybe figure out how to help them get their place in order if they're going to stand by themselves. I mean yeah sure, living free is cool and all, but come on are you really happy living in this mess?

As for starter.....well its either choosing between Fennekin, Cyndaquil, Litten and Tepig. I mean I like fire types, but there are just so many good ones I like its so hard to choose which one. ok, Torchic to, its cute and its final evolution is awesome. but not the monkey or the lizard. problem is that fire types are FIRE TYPES and thus probably comes with its own unique set of fire safety guidelines to figure out. but then again......free camp fire lighter. and torch lighter. probably very useful given traveling.

I guess If I were to list pokemon I'd try to get it'd be:
Sylveon, Glaceon, Salamence, Mawile, Gardevoir, Lilligant, Incineroar, Delphox, Bisharp, Delcatty, Luxray, Purugly, Nidoqueen, Liepard, Braviary, Sableye, Milotic, Absol, Smeargle, Ditto, Tsareena, Salazzle, Mimikyu, Miltank, Belossom, Lucario, Krookodile, Golurk, Goodra, Maractus, Mienshao, Araquanid, Lurantis, Lycanroc (Midnight), aaaand Alolan Muk, just off the top of my head.

yeah, I'm fully aware that most of these are probably dangerous or rare/hard to get but I'd still try at least.

Fri
2017-10-24, 12:49 AM
Anime verse? Six Pikachu. (Weakness and types? What are those?)

Blackhawk748
2017-10-24, 12:49 AM
Aggron (As with the Gyarados example above, probably too aggressive for me to handle)

Aggron actually have fairly relaxed temperaments. They are extremely rare in nature, but each one claims a mountain as its domain and it basically becomes steward of that territory, replanting trees and in general cleaning up after natural disasters.

So ya, Aggron actually arent super aggressive or anything.

Ash's Pikachu clearly has a Light Orb inside of it :smalltongue:

Kitten Champion
2017-10-24, 12:51 AM
Thing about the anime-verse of Pokemon is there's no mechanical meta-game to slavishly adhere to, no algorithms or RNGs to consider, no walking back and forth through tall grass to prompt another random encounter and grind your Pokemon to a certain level, or breeding hundreds of eggs with that max-IV Ditto to get that one shiny Pokemon with an all-important inherited move.

On the other hand, you actually have to care for them in a real 24-7 sense, being living breathing creatures. They have emotions and wills of their own to consider and fret over. They can be strong in ways the Pokemon game cannot account for, and they can employ tactics which exists independently from their available moves.

Point being, I wouldn't assemble a team based on the presumptions of the video game. Rather, I would look at personal compatibility with the Pokemon, whether I've the capacity to manage their needs, and the risk involved in their capture. Personally, I wouldn't look for a Pokemon whose size would be too much of an encumbrance, whose diet is so large or particular that I'd be burdened with supplies, or who live in specialized environments -- like any Water-based Pokemon who'd suffer on land, a Poison/Grass Pokemon that's particularly toxic, or a Fire-type who'd logically set everything in its proximity alight like a Magcargo.

I would be rather wary about most Dragon and Ghost Pokemon. Dragons are known in-universe as the hardest to deal with and requires particularly knowledgeable and attentive trainers while Ghosts have attempted to consume people's souls.

I think I'd probably aim towards being a gym leader, it's an interesting role to inhabit and you can still do other things with your life which are not training and battles.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-24, 12:51 AM

You mean six PikAshus. and then, I counter with six level 5 Snivy's just starting out and defeat you easily. Consistently powerful between seasons? What is that?

Blackhawk748
2017-10-24, 12:54 AM
I think what needs to be pointed out is that the Pokedex is BS. Seriously, that thing is so wrong its not even funny. For instance Macargo cant be that hot otherwise it would melt the ground and Ghost pokemon dont eat souls, cuz the Anime isnt that dark. At worst, Ghosts seem to be tricksters.

Talion
2017-10-24, 12:57 AM
Aggron actually have fairly relaxed temperaments. They are extremely rare in nature, but each one claims a mountain as its domain and it basically becomes steward of that territory, replanting trees and in general cleaning up after natural disasters.

So ya, Aggron actually arent super aggressive or anything.

Huh, guess I should have dug a little deeper on that part. Though to be honest, my memory of gen 3 is fairly hazy, and I suffered substantial series fatigue at that point. Hence the giant gap in my experience. That being said, I'm still pleased with my overall selections within my self-imposed theory-craft rules. In actual play, all this can go right out the window :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2017-10-24, 12:58 AM
In more seriousness, Poke-verse, whether game or anime, is honestly not a bad place to live, unlike a lot other fictional universes. I'd even say it's one of the best one. You got advanced enough tech for all the modern amenities, or even better than ours, health cares etc (most importantly, internet or internet equivalent.), but you can still be adventurers if you want, by that I mean be pokemon ranger, pokemon trainer, gym leaders, etc. And even if you get in trouble, it's rarely deadly, and with good rescue chance and such.

Of course that's discounting being protagonist, which involved on town ending threat monthly and world ending threat in a yearly basis :smallbiggrin:

Talion
2017-10-24, 01:01 AM
I think what needs to be pointed out is that the Pokedex is BS. Seriously, that thing is so wrong its not even funny. For instance Macargo cant be that hot otherwise it would melt the ground and Ghost pokemon dont eat souls, cuz the Anime isnt that dark. At worst, Ghosts seem to be tricksters.

Oh, I agree. To be honest, I think the best way to look at the Pokedex as a whole is basically "This is what happens when you send 10 year olds out to conduct research on super powered animals and don't bother to edit it at all."

Anteros
2017-10-24, 01:03 AM
On the other hand, you actually have to care for them in a real 24-7 sense, being living breathing creatures. They have emotions and wills of their own to consider and fret over.

Alternatively, shove them into a pokeball and forget them until it's convenient.

Well, you have to remember that this is a universe where most of the pokemon research is done by 10 year olds.

Kitten Champion
2017-10-24, 01:04 AM
I think what needs to be pointed out is that the Pokedex is BS. Seriously, that thing is so wrong its not even funny. For instance Macargo cant be that hot otherwise it would melt the ground

They still visibly sprout flames in their design. You don't have to be literally hotter than the sun to be a fire hazard.

Ghost pokemon dont eat souls, cuz the Anime isnt that dark. At worst, Ghosts seem to be tricksters.

They have tried though, like, in several episodes. They don't succeed because the anime isn't that dark, but it's still Japanese not-that-dark. The anime is fairly shaky on what they think of Ghost Pokemon in general - well, especially Ghost Pokemon - because it largely depends on the needs of the story.

Alternatively, shove them into a pokeball and forget them until it's convenient.

That doesn't work in the anime-verse... at least in its most consistent portrayal. You can send them off to old man Oak if you want via their teleportation system, but they do have to be fed at some point.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-24, 01:10 AM
They still visibly sprout flames in their design. You don't have to be literally hotter than the sun to be a fire hazard.

Valid

They have tried though, like, in several episodes. They don't succeed because the anime isn't that dark, but it's still Japanese not-that-dark. The anime is fairly shaky on what they think of Ghost Pokemon in general - well, especially Ghost Pokemon - because it largely depends on the needs of the story.

The only episode i can think of was the Lavender town one and there was no maliciousness there.

Kitten Champion
2017-10-24, 01:18 AM
The only episode i can think of was the Lavender town one and there was no maliciousness there.

The last one I remember was in Black & White where Litwick attempted to drain the life-force of Team Rocket surreptitiously and then when exposed they got together and attempted to drag both them and the protagonists to the "Other Side". I'm fairly sure there are others to this effect, my knowledge isn't encyclopedic.

Giggling Ghast
2017-10-24, 02:45 AM
Could I be dropped into the Yu Gi Oh universe instead? Playing children’s card games are more my speed. I don’t have any bulls**t main character powers, but I am willing to adopt a bizarre hairstyle if that’s what it takes.

Anteros
2017-10-24, 03:31 AM
Could I be dropped into the Yu Gi Oh universe instead? Playing children’s card games are more my speed. I don’t have any bulls**t main character powers, but I am willing to adopt a bizarre hairstyle if that’s what it takes.

As long as you're willing to be dragged to the shadow realm for losing a children's card game.

If we get to pick, I'd go with Dragonball. Wear weighted clothing and do chores for a month and suddenly you're Superman.

khadgar567
2017-10-24, 03:56 AM
well anime verse is not bad thanks to sun and moons ride system so with it my crew probably have flying Pokemon big enough and tough enough to fly me to city to city like kaki from anime then leave the rest of the slots to area specific Pokemon
so my crew probably

staraptor for travel and aerial battles
lucario with mega stone for heavy hitter other then up to ultra worm hole to grab every legendary i can grab so

Lord Raziere
2017-10-24, 04:22 AM
If we get to pick, I'd go with Dragonball. Wear weighted clothing and do chores for a month and suddenly you're Superman.

Ahahahahahaha!

Sure, if you can deal with the kind of world it is. If Pokemon is one of the best fictional places to live, Dragon Ball is one of the worst. hope you can live with planet destroying jerks coming to kill you and everyone you love every few years, with no guarantees that righteousness will actually prevail, Goku remember isn't actually a good person, every technique has a downside, a saiyan will render all your human effort moot by getting beat up then recovering from that to come back stronger than ever even before super Saiyan is ever involved, assuming your in an era where Freeza isn't ruling you have to hope Beerus won't destroy your planet for not having tasty food when no one has the guts or the strength to stop him.

Best case scenario? Your Krillin. More likey? You'll be Yamcha. And the universe is just full of battle-crazy idiots seeking a good fight no matter the consequences. If your lucky. If your unlucky, your some timeline like Future Trunks timeline. Dragon Balls? Not a guarantee. you have to wonder how many alien planets died fighting in ki wars without knowing the Dragon Balls ever existed.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-24, 04:26 AM
If I got dropped into the Pokemon Universe I don't think I would actually be a very competitive battler. I'm not a champion full contact martial artist myself, and I'm not sure I'd be the best match with Pokemon that need to have the mindset of one to enjoy a life of basically only sitting in a ball and fighting. Plus I'm not really looking to care for six or more large exotic pets. The last two living things I was responsible for where a cactus and a succulant plant, they both died. Two or three seems like a good maximum at least to start out with.

I would however like to take advantage of some of the other features of the universe, like how making or needing money doesn't really seem to be a thing and how everyone is incredibly damage resistant. This makes it the perfect universe to go adventuring in. I'll have a string shot user, probably Spinarak, as my loyal climbing partner, rescue line thrower and ducttape dispenser. I'm a bit of a rope ninja, so we'll get along fine. I bet it can even patch clothes, less shopping to do for me! I'll probably add a Quagsire as well as a white water buddy. Quagsire is my favorite along with Rhydon, but given the choice between them in universe I guess Rhydon is more of a really cool wild animal to look at through binoculars from in a tree somewhere downwind of it, while Quagsire is just the bro-est of party animals. Can you imagine it sitting at a campfire, possibly after a few beers? Madness.

Flight would be an awesome thing to have, but in the anime flying with a trainer is mostly restricted to some real powerhouses that require being a good dedicated trainer to obtain and control, or being Ash and getting burned all the time, that works as well. Yeah, Ash flies on Pidgeot, which is only sort of a death eagle of doom, but he seems to have pretty much forgotten about that time when someone introduces him to the concept of riding a Charizard, so I'm not sure that really counts. And aside from flying ones I'm not sure any riding Pokemon is really better than a car/boat or even just a bicycle, as long as you don't own a certain Pikachu. So I don't think I'm going to add a creature for that.

If I was for some reason set on becoming a serious battler I'd try to get a bit of a theme. The more alike your Pokemon, the better you can become at training them all. I've done some Showdowning recently using bipedal ground, water, rock and ice types, and it seems to work anime style well enough. I'm not set on any specific team, but it needs at least one of each type, one water-ground dual type, one sweeper, one wall, three or four tanks, one rapid spinner or maybe a defog user (by this time you may realize these roles can be combined to keep the total number at six), preferably at least a mold breaker or an intimidator, if at all possible an unaware user or maybe a debuffer, one toxic, toxic spike or scald or some form of damage over time user and all in all preferably no more than 3 or at most 4 creatures sharing any one weakness. There's a few options. I will see what kind of powerful motivated creatures I can find.

I'm also considering breaking into a Ranger base to get one of those capture stylers and just partying around with wild Pokemon from there on in.

khadgar567
2017-10-24, 04:41 AM
well i am not a fighter so flying pokemon is good for me other then i dont need much more pokemon though if i can add few fan seasons in anime then every thing quite changes there is few good concepts like fusemon ( two or three pokemon fused in one) and adding few more new types to master will make my story pretty good if i hit ash on journey then give him one of my extra pokemons and send him to collect his harem before fighting against me on campionship

Forum Explorer
2017-10-24, 04:51 AM
For the Pokemon anime universe...

1. Eevee
2. Lapras
3. Gardivoir
4. Charizard
5. Dragonite (I don't care how hard they are to raise)
6. Kabutops

I'd likely be some sort of researcher/traveler. Exploring the wilds to see how wild pokemon live where there aren't many humans around. Eevee would be my go to pokemon, who would be out all of the time. Lapras would be to help travel across lakes and seas, and Kabutops would be what I'd use to fight off anything that tried to mess with me.

Drascin
2017-10-24, 06:14 AM
I'd hope to get some of my favorites. So, like, Galvantula, Weavile, Gardevoir, Tyranitar, Flygon. Then probably take advantage of the fact that money seems a really secondary concern on the pokemon world to travel around on Tyranitar-back, walking around and meeting new pokemon and stuff.

Course, you'd have to start from the bottom here, catching them at low level and giving them plenty of love, care, and battle experience. Which means starting out with, like, a Joltik.

And let's be honest, I can work with that. I mean, have you seen Joltik? Little bugger is adorable. Screw pokéballs, he can stay on my head if he wants :smalltongue:.

Aotrs Commander
2017-10-24, 08:18 AM
The last one I remember was in Black & White where Litwick attempted to drain the life-force of Team Rocket surreptitiously and then when exposed they got together and attempted to drag both them and the protagonists to the "Other Side". I'm fairly sure there are others to this effect, my knowledge isn't encyclopedic.

There are a fair few Clearly Evil Pokémon out there, ghost or otherwise (Malamar being another crowd).

Heck, let's not forget, ghost humans are nearly as bad (and not that uncommon, I can think of at least three occasions Ash has run into human ghosts off the top of my head!) and in one of those, Ash nearly got sucked into the spirit world by said human ghost, only getting saved becase of Dusknoir.

So yeah, your soul is definitely at potential risk even in the anime-verse. Especially if Ash isn't around to save one's sorry arse...!

Let's not forget, the anime only glosses over the dark things, but they clearly exist. War using Pokémon, eating pokémon, Hunter J killing people, firearms (and all that implies)... All that stuff has been mentioned in the background at some point. Just because Ash tends to miss the really bad stuff - or Save The Day, because he's Ash Mother-Fracking Ketchum - doesn't mean it's not there.

Don't get me wrong, it's an advanced society that is arguably pretty close to a utopia, where it's socially the norm for ten year-old to travel unsupervised around the land in losts of places, which speaks to it being pretty darn safe most of the time (or that the laws are really, really irresponsible!) - heck, while we don't see it, they MUST have excellent sex education1, else the number of single-parent families we see is not a co-incidence! - but it's not QUITE as idyllic as it looks.

1I assume that one of Nurse Joy's less advertsied duties includes that, and the necessary dispensation of prophylactics.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-24, 08:33 AM

Theres another setting where most of the inhabitants are bad at what they do. God, my Archfiend deck would ruin them, and it would only get worse if theres no ban list.

I'd hope to get some of my favorites. So, like, Galvantula, Weavile, Gardevoir, Tyranitar, Flygon. Then probably take advantage of the fact that money seems a really secondary concern on the pokemon world to travel around on Tyranitar-back, walking around and meeting new pokemon and stuff.

Course, you'd have to start from the bottom here, catching them at low level and giving them plenty of love, care, and battle experience. Which means starting out with, like, a Joltik.

And let's be honest, I can work with that. I mean, have you seen Joltik? Little bugger is adorable. Screw pokéballs, he can stay on my head if he wants :smalltongue:.

Thats a big upside to Tyranitar, Larvitar is way easier to find than other Pseudo-Legendaries. I mean you still have a rather cranky behemoth, but we've seen that trained pokemon tend to have rather different dispositions to wilds.

Scowling Dragon
2017-10-24, 10:20 AM
Dog, cat, and turtle pokemon. I want things I can pet! Maybe a birdo of somekind as well.

kjelfalconer
2017-10-24, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I have a few must haves - Starmie and Alakazam are non-negotiable here. Since most humanoid psychic types are telepathic, Alakazam could help act as an interpreter (though I imagine after enough time with a pokemon you get a feel for the gist of what they mean). After that, I'd want something I could ride in the sky, to which I'd choose Braviary, and water, despite my ridiculous mental image of surfing on a Starmie. I'd like to say Sharpedo, but I'd need some serious protective gear to get round that rough skin, so if that's out of the question, then perhaps Milotic instead.

For slot five, I have to be honest. I am stick thin and horrendously unfit, ill-suited for the kind of adventure the pokemon world would require. Thus, I need someone to whip *me* into shape. Machamp, or one of the Hitmons would be the obvious choice, but to be honest, they'd go all out from the start and crush me. Whereas Gallade I suspect would get the balance of pushing and pausing much better (and is probably also telepathic, which is really handy if he's going to be your personal trainer).

Six is a bit more flexible, but I'd want to diversify types a bit. Fire and poison have serious practicality issues, hayfever says no to grass, I'm not great with bugs and I hate the cold, pretty much every ground type is a disaster waiting to happen, with rock much the same, most dark types have serious attitude problems, so that leaves me Electric, Fairy or Dragon. And, honestly, after trawling those lists I keep looking at Altaria. Swablu's much more common than most dragons, and much more even tempered. Plus, I enjoy singing too, so bonding! Admittedly this does make the earlier inclusion of Braviary a little less required, but **** it I like Braviary.

And none of them are too taxing to look after, save Sharpedo(with that disposition)/Milotic(who would take a hell of a lot of grooming). Milotic probably would gel better with the rest of the group personality wise actually, especially since Gallade and Braviary would definitely be holding me to a code of conduct. So, yeah, go with Milotic, unless I managed to find a young, lone Carvanha and raise it pretty much from scratch.

I haven't put way too much thought into this, you shut up.

Anteros
2017-10-24, 10:44 AM
Ahahahahahaha!

Sure, if you can deal with the kind of world it is. If Pokemon is one of the best fictional places to live, Dragon Ball is one of the worst. hope you can live with planet destroying jerks coming to kill you and everyone you love every few years, with no guarantees that righteousness will actually prevail, Goku remember isn't actually a good person, every technique has a downside, a saiyan will render all your human effort moot by getting beat up then recovering from that to come back stronger than ever even before super Saiyan is ever involved, assuming your in an era where Freeza isn't ruling you have to hope Beerus won't destroy your planet for not having tasty food when no one has the guts or the strength to stop him.

Best case scenario? Your Krillin. More likey? You'll be Yamcha. And the universe is just full of battle-crazy idiots seeking a good fight no matter the consequences. If your lucky. If your unlucky, your some timeline like Future Trunks timeline. Dragon Balls? Not a guarantee. you have to wonder how many alien planets died fighting in ki wars without knowing the Dragon Balls ever existed.

What makes you think I'd get involved in any of that junk? That's what protagonists are for. I'm not gonna go try to punch Mewtwo, or take down Team Rocket either if I get dropped into the Pokemon universe.

Mikemical
2017-10-24, 10:57 AM
Realitically, stick to some Pokes that aren't high maintainance and that will help around the house to live a comfy life. Go nowhere near Ow the Edge Pokémon like Lucario, Blaziken or Scyther that require you to train with them like 80 hours a week so they might listen to you. I would probably stick to Pokémon that are closer to real-life pets, like Growlithe, or Meowth.

Anteros
2017-10-24, 12:15 PM
Realitically, stick to some Pokes that aren't high maintainance and that will help around the house to live a comfy life. Go nowhere near Ow the Edge Pokémon like Lucario, Blaziken or Scyther that require you to train with them like 80 hours a week so they might listen to you. I would probably stick to Pokémon that are closer to real-life pets, like Growlithe, or Meowth.

Growlithe has to be my favorite Poke...but when I think about how derpy real life Golden Retrievers are...I'm not sure having one with fire powers in the house is a good idea.

Scowling Dragon
2017-10-24, 03:12 PM
Growlithe has to be my favorite Poke...but when I think about how derpy real life Golden Retrievers are...I'm not sure having one with fire powers in the house is a good idea.

Make sure to just have a goldeen in a bowl or something for the emergencies.

I would go with Eeevees. Got a cute foxlike quality, and come in any verietee you wish.

Kantaki
2017-10-24, 04:29 PM
What team would I assemble if dropped in the Pokčmon verse?
Lets see...

Chikorita- one of my all-times favourite starters. (I would take a Snivy, but :smallsigh: the attitude...)

(Mega*) Beedrill- wiping out Faulkner's Gym solo has earned it a special spot in my heart. (starting from a Weedle so there's less risk of it attacking me)

Gardevoir- someone who can actually talk with me would be good for my sanity when travelling.
I mean I could just find human companions, but lets face it, I would have a higher turn-over rate than Ash.:smallbiggrin:

Alola-Vulpix- Vulpix is cute, Ninetails is beautiful. Ice is cool. Enough said.

Swablu- Cute little cloud-bird that turns into a dragon? Sign me up. Plus music. (If I hadn't picked Beedrill for my Mega it would be a great Anti-Dragon Dragon.:smallamused:)

Mimikyu- because it needs a hug. And I like both ghosts and fairies. (No selling that massively OP Z-Attack left a impression.:smallbiggrin:)

The biggest problem would be not having a convenient lighter fire-mon, but some of the team can learn fire-moves, so I guess that's covered.
Or I have to carry a bit more equipment. Pokčmon aren't tools after all.:smalltongue:

*Assuming I can get the hardware.

Jayngfet
2017-10-25, 01:31 AM
Let's get real, nobody here is going to walk literal hundreds of miles on foot just to get a hyper specific animal to win a prize with no cash value that requires thousands of hours on top of that to get in order to beat ten year olds, the only demographic with that kind of time and poor judgement to pull it off.

Which means realistically we'd all have Rattattas, Pidgeys, Beedrills, and Tentacools. They'd evolve maybe once but never again because what takes literal days of work real time means months of sweat and literal blood.

Friv
2017-10-25, 01:35 AM
What makes you think I'd get involved in any of that junk? That's what protagonists are for. I'm not gonna go try to punch Mewtwo, or take down Team Rocket either if I get dropped into the Pokemon universe.

I think the big difference is, in Pokemon if you don't want to punch Mewtwo you're fine, and your chances of running into Team Rocket are pretty slim.

In Dragon Ball Z, it is literally guaranteed that, simply by living on the planet Earth, you have been turned evil, killed at least twice, conquered by alien overlords on multiple occasions, and there's a real chance that you and everyone you know got killed by the latest monster to wander over to Earth and blow up a few cities. It is a rough world to be a bystander in.

Forum Explorer
2017-10-25, 02:25 AM
Let's get real, nobody here is going to walk literal hundreds of miles on foot just to get a hyper specific animal to win a prize with no cash value that requires thousands of hours on top of that to get in order to beat ten year olds, the only demographic with that kind of time and poor judgement to pull it off.

Which means realistically we'd all have Rattattas, Pidgeys, Beedrills, and Tentacools. They'd evolve maybe once but never again because what takes literal days of work real time means months of sweat and literal blood.

Why not? People do crazier stuff to get animals they want in the real world. And those animals are both highly illegal, and don't have super-powers that make your life incredibly convenient.

Ditto with training animals, though the illegal part isn't true in that case. But animal trainers and breeders of all descriptions are incredibly plentiful for many different species.

lunaticfringe
2017-10-25, 02:50 AM

Meh that's why you select Bulbasaur when you get there. The first 2 Gym Leaders can't handle Grass. Course then you miss out on Charizard who is a monster later, just kinda **** at the start. (I only played Red/Blue, never watched the show)

Kitten Champion
2017-10-25, 03:07 AM
It should be pointed out that in the anime-verse has readily available transportation besides what a 10 year old would have access to - cars, trains, motorcycles, buses, airplanes, atvs, skyships, ships, submarines, and more. You don't actually have to walk unless you want to, though some Pokemon live in areas where it's best to go on foot.

It also doesn't distribute Pokemon based on game logic. There are Pokemon everywhere in this universe, not just tall grass, caves, rivers, oceans, and deserts. Dozens of species can be found in and around towns and cities, including Starter Pokemon you'd never encounter in-game. Though if you want to capture a team laden with different region-specific Pokemon that are known for being reclusive and hard to catch for whatever reason, it's gonna take a while and likely a fair bit of money.

In truth it would be far more efficient to simply find local Pokemon than assemble some idealized meta-team, just in terms of the time-sink and the fact that Pokemon's strength isn't determined the same way as the games, as I said.

Admittedly the economics of Pokemon isn't considered by anyone. You could reason-out how it could be done logically, but most of these scenarios would be antithetical to the fantasy the universe is attempting to create.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-25, 03:34 AM
Technically, the whole "searching for thousands of miles" thing is moot: ditto can breed with anything after all, and you can send pokemon through the internet instantaneously as a trade. so its perfectly possible to set up a breeding farm for a pokemon people like, breed it with a ditto, make a bunch of eggs then simply post up offers to trade it for the pokemon you want from other regions. there is probably entire markets and businesses for breeding and trading pokemon across regions like that.

heck, Team Rocket probably get all their pokemon from their own illegal underground pokemon breeding farms made to pump out pokemon to help them commit crimes, stealing a pokemon just to sell it is only profitable in the short term, the smart money is stealing a pokemon, breeding it then selling its offspring.

Basically, you can turn pokemon into a renewable commodity that you can buy sell and trade globally easily, and then who cares about catching them yourself?

I think the big difference is, in Pokemon if you don't want to punch Mewtwo you're fine, and your chances of running into Team Rocket are pretty slim.

In Dragon Ball Z, it is literally guaranteed that, simply by living on the planet Earth, you have been turned evil, killed at least twice, conquered by alien overlords on multiple occasions, and there's a real chance that you and everyone you know got killed by the latest monster to wander over to Earth and blow up a few cities. It is a rough world to be a bystander in.

And thats just Earth.

Imagine the state of all the planets that don't have literal magical reset artifacts to make everything better.

Anteros
2017-10-25, 05:19 AM

Eh, you won't remember most of it anyway. They tend to wipe people's memories when they do the mass resurrect thing with the Dragonballs. Speaking of which, it should be pretty trivial to gather them and make a few wishes yourself if you wait until later in the timeline when the main cast isn't using them any more.

Really, it's not like living in the Pokemon universe would be a breeze either. There's always some sort of doomsday plot doing on, random gangsters trying to steal your pokemon every day, or some unstoppable pokemon going on a rampage...and I'm not gonna go hug those things into submission like Ash would.

Drascin
2017-10-25, 07:09 AM
Thats a big upside to Tyranitar, Larvitar is way easier to find than other Pseudo-Legendaries. I mean you still have a rather cranky behemoth, but we've seen that trained pokemon tend to have rather different dispositions to wilds.

I did think this through :smalltongue:. Also the basic forms of most of the pokemon I mentioned are at most a short trek away from a population center (assuming no mysterious bloackages for Gameplay Reasons, like how you can't catch a larvitar early not because they don't spawn fifty meters away from the second town, but because you can't go into the route because there's a dude in the middle and pokemon protagonists can't jump fences), it's just a matter of catching a couple trains.

The exception is Trapinch, which mostly spawns in deserts and which therefore could be a legitimate pain in the ass to get.

And yes, of course. Like, an important thesis of pokemon is that pokemon are, fundamentally, good if treated well. If you treat them well with love and care, they will love you back. Beedrill, a three foot monster wasp with ****ing drills for appendages, will be more than happy to be your friend if you show some chops and maybe share a few cookies with it.

Mikemical
2017-10-25, 08:08 AM
Eh, you won't remember most of it anyway. They tend to wipe people's memories when they do the mass resurrect thing with the Dragonballs. Speaking of which, it should be pretty trivial to gather them and make a few wishes yourself if you wait until later in the timeline when the main cast isn't using them any more.

Really, it's not like living in the Pokemon universe would be a breeze either. There's always some sort of doomsday plot doing on, random gangsters trying to steal your pokemon every day, or some unstoppable pokemon going on a rampage...and I'm not gonna go hug those things into submission like Ash would.

Y'all remember the anime episode with the giant Tentacruel?

Not to mention that some of the evil groups are beyond just "NYEH! I'M'ONNA STEAL YER POKIMON, KID!", Team Aqua and Team Magma are basically eco-terrorists. Also, there's still guns in the Pokémon world(if you remember the banned episode where it showed poachers pointing at Ash with a rifle), likely crime still occurs. Imagine how much more troublesome the real world would be if organizations like ISIS had access to Pokémon like Koffing, Voltorb, and Porygon.

Merellis
2017-10-25, 08:42 AM
Mareep, Oddish, Shellder, Salandit, Snubble, Swablu.

Mainly because they either are my faves, or turn into my faves. :D

Blackhawk748
2017-10-25, 08:54 AM

This sentiment is why my team is what it is. Those Pokemon are quite common. Plus as others have said, its really not that big of a deal and the Champ[ions clearly get something, cuz why would so many people do it otherwise?

Traab
2017-10-25, 09:05 AM
I would get a bulbasaur from oak, then ask him, "Uh hey, where do you get the other starters from?" And that would be my first mission. Go out and get myself the full trio of the original starters. Once I get them I would probably work hard training them against each other so they can learn how to fight against type weaknesses. I want my fully evolved Charizard to go up against a blastoise and beat it into the ground, I want my Blastoise to go after a venusaur and show it the meaning of pain! We know from the anime that it IS possible for a powerful pokemon to defeat its type weakness in a straight up fight, I want to work with my pokemon until they all can do that. So when I throw out an onix, I dont want the other guy to sneer and throw down a staryu and be able to auto claim victory. I want my onix to know how to avoid all its attacks, tank any it cant dodge, and crush that purple starfish into paste.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-25, 09:22 AM
I would get a bulbasaur from oak, then ask him, "Uh hey, where do you get the other starters from?" And that would be my first mission. Go out and get myself the full trio of the original starters. Once I get them I would probably work hard training them against each other so they can learn how to fight against type weaknesses. I want my fully evolved Charizard to go up against a blastoise and beat it into the ground, I want my Blastoise to go after a venusaur and show it the meaning of pain! We know from the anime that it IS possible for a powerful pokemon to defeat its type weakness in a straight up fight, I want to work with my pokemon until they all can do that. So when I throw out an onix, I dont want the other guy to sneer and throw down a staryu and be able to auto claim victory. I want my onix to know how to avoid all its attacks, tank any it cant dodge, and crush that purple starfish into paste.

Oak's starters are the offspring of his own Pokemon. But, the starters arent all that uncommon, i mean go hang out in a suitably large woods and you'll find a bulbasaur, go to the mountains and you'll find charmander, go to the ocean and find squitle.

Red Fel
2017-10-25, 10:08 AM
I would go with Eeevees. Got a cute foxlike quality, and come in any verietee you wish.

I see what you did theeree.

That said, this is a pretty good point. Fact is, at least part of my team would be composed of "fun" or "cute" Pokemon, because yes, they are pets too. Admittedly, smarter than real-world-animal pets, to a large degree, but still, people legitimately keep them as pets, and I see no reason that I can't.

I would say that the whole "only six Pokemon per trainer" thing is completely arbitrary, because while it may be enforced in the games, I honestly don't recall it being enforced in the anime. (I'm prepared to be corrected, of course.) That said, it's a convenient way to keep from going overboard. So my team would probably consist of:
"Cute" Pokemon. Basically a living stuffed animal. Probably an Eevee or similar. Possibly one of the many cats, because who would I be without a cat to stroke ominously?
"Buddy" Pokemon. The Pikachu to my Ash. Probably a Squirtle, because if any Pokemon would geek out with me over anime, I feel like Squirtle would. (Two words: Gurren Lagann.)
"Transport" Pokemon. I wouldn't go so far as to use the term "HM Slave," but the fact is that having your own way to get around is pretty great. And I wouldn't abuse them or anything, obviously, but it would be nice to be able to just throw one out there to take me wherever. In terms of non-Dragon, non-Legendary options, Swanna seems a nice choice - graceful, elegant, and can learn both Fly and Surf.
"Overlord" Pokemon. This is my heavy weapon, the terrifying beast I bring out to remind people exactly who I am. Probably a Dragon or other legendary, because duh. A Tyrantrum, Salamence, or Charizard (with Mega X option) would be great. Tyranitar, also awesome, since it's basically Pokezilla.
Two "Combat" Pokemon. Obviously, self-defense is necessary in a world with terrorist organizations and groups trying to trigger a monster-induced apocalypse, but sometimes calling a literal Godzilla out of a tiny ball is overkill. So having two battle-ready minions at hand would be great. I'd prefer that one be a Fighting type, like perhaps a Lucario, Sawk, or Medicham, so they could help me improve my own fighting. The other would therefore need to have ranged abilities, probably Fire, because when you need destruction that isn't a Dragon, Fire. Psychic might be nice, but in anime apparently they mostly only answer to people who are Psychic, and me-in-anime is probably not that. I might go with a Grass type, like Meganium, to pull double-duty as spot-healer and ranged combatant - that seems like a good spread, frankly.
So, hmm. Eevee, Squirtle, Swanna, Tyranitar, Sawk, Meganium. Seems like a pretty solid team, good spread, I think.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-25, 10:16 AM
It is enforced. Ash caught a Krabby and it popped off back to the PC

Kantaki
2017-10-25, 10:25 AM
It is enforced. Ash caught a Krabby and it popped off back to the PC

Oak's Lab. I was sent to Oak's Lab.
But yeah, if you're travelling you can only take six team mates with you.
If you're „home”- as in the location where your reserve buddys stay -on the other hand...:smallamused:

Red Fel
2017-10-25, 10:30 AM
Oak's Lab. I was sent to Oak's Lab.
But yeah, if you're travelling you can only take six team mates with you.
If you're „home”- as in the location where your reserve buddys stay -on the other hand...:smallamused:

But let's be honest. Unless you either (a) are a gym leader, (b) live in a city where stuff actually happens and have a boring, possibly non-Pokemon-related job, or (c) are absurdly wealthy, you're not going to want to stay in one place. You're going to want to travel, see the world, and possibly earn your fortune by beating up other people's pets with your own pets and then stealing their wallets.

Except that money thing doesn't happen in the anime nearly as much. Hm.

Then again, the anime rarely seems to address the issue of finances, so in theory you could pretty much do anything you wanted with your life until and unless you chose to settle down someplace. And again, unless you have reason to, why not travel and become feared, infamous, the very Scourge of God?

Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Celestia
2017-10-25, 11:07 AM
First and foremost, I'd get myself a Gardevoir. She is my absolute all time favorite, so I gotta have her. Plus, she's telepathic, so she can be a good travel buddy. Thus, she'll stay out of her ball and follow on foot.

Next, I gotta get a ghost type. Yes, I know that most of them are "evil" or what have you, but I just love the type too much to not have one. This is a hard choice because I do love so many of the ghosts, but if I have to pick one, I'll probably go with Golurk. I feel like it would have a much calmer temperament and would be much easier to train and keep disciplined. Also, ground is a nice type to have, and I don't like too many of them.

Third, I need a flyer, something big and strong enough to carry me. I'd, of course, spend most of my time on foot, but having a 'mon than can fly me to safety can be nice in an emergency. Crobat seems like a good choice. Great typing, and since it evolves through friendship, I'm assuming it'll have a nice personality, too.

For my fourth spot, I'd like a water type that can take me across rivers and lakes. Can't let that damn nature stand in my way. I feel like choosing Lapras. It may be slow on land, but it's bulky enough that I'd probably train it in a defensive style, anyways. If Ash can get a Chikorita that knows Vine Whip, I'm sure I can teach Lapras Aqua Ring.

My fifth spot goes to Pangoro. Fighting is a nice type to have access to, and I love the fuzzy wuzzy panda bear. Yeah, Pangoro is a dark type and most are probably nasty, but I'll get the one that is a real sweetheart deep down and just acts aloof to look tough.

Finally, my last team member will be Ferrothorn. I gotta have a steel type on my team, and I feel like in an anime style battle, the whole impenetrable defense thing is a lot more viable. Ferrothorn will Also be the heavy hitter of the team, the secret weapon when even Gardevoir gets beaten back. Between Leech Seed, Curse, and Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn will literally crush the competition as my last resort.

Now, there were a lot of other choices. I have so many favorites that I could probably make twelve other teams with no repeats (except Gardevoir who would be on every single one), but this is the team I feel like using at this moment. In all reality, though, I'd probably be one of those trainers who has a team of, like thirty, and just rotates them around every so often. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2017-10-25, 11:54 AM
You know, it occurs to me that you dont have to be a pokemon battle trainer. So maybe instead work with the whole symbiosis angle and find a field of labor you want to be a part of, and have your pokemon revolve around that. As an example, you could be a delivery man with a solid set of mon that can fly and swim. Like how ash used a lapras to travel between orange islands, or a flying type to go wherever you need to. We see construction workers paired off with machamps and machokes, the pokecenters have chanceys, etc etc etc. Being a deliveryman wouldnt be a bad life. Get paid to travel the world and transport packages between towns and such. No reason you cant do random battles every now and then as well. It would be a lot like being a ash style pokemon trainer in that you get to see the world. You make money from doing delivery jobs, so you can afford whatever you need, heck, you could probably turn it into a stay at home delivery system if you ever get tired of traveling. Get yourself a flock of butterfree, train them to go to various towns, then send them off with a package for a fee.

Celestia
2017-10-25, 11:59 AM
You know, it occurs to me that you dont have to be a pokemon battle trainer. So maybe instead work with the whole symbiosis angle and find a field of labor you want to be a part of, and have your pokemon revolve around that. As an example, you could be a delivery man with a solid set of mon that can fly and swim. Like how ash used a lapras to travel between orange islands, or a flying type to go wherever you need to. We see construction workers paired off with machamps and machokes, the pokecenters have chanceys, etc etc etc. Being a deliveryman wouldnt be a bad life. Get paid to travel the world and transport packages between towns and such. No reason you cant do random battles every now and then as well. It would be a lot like being a ash style pokemon trainer in that you get to see the world. You make money from doing delivery jobs, so you can afford whatever you need, heck, you could probably turn it into a stay at home delivery system if you ever get tired of traveling. Get yourself a flock of butterfree, train them to go to various towns, then send them off with a package for a fee.
I can only imagine what horrors would be unleashed by disgruntled postal workers in a world where people carry dragons in their pockets.

Traab
2017-10-25, 02:32 PM
I can only imagine what horrors would be unleashed by disgruntled postal workers in a world where people carry dragons in their pockets.

Is it wrong the first thing that popped into my head was, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a dragon in his pocket is with a good guy that has a dragon in his pocket."?

Lord Raziere
2017-10-25, 02:34 PM
Is it wrong the first thing that popped into my head was, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a dragon in his pocket is with a good guy that has a dragon in his pocket."?

Or y'know, just use a Fairy, they're immune to Dragons so they're a safer bet. like, Dragons are a risky pokemon to use to fight Dragons, Dragons are a pokemon best to fight against EVERYONE ELSE.

Celestia
2017-10-25, 03:24 PM
I lol'd for real on that one. I wish there was a like button.

Anteros
2017-10-26, 08:04 AM
But let's be honest. Unless you either (a) are a gym leader, (b) live in a city where stuff actually happens and have a boring, possibly non-Pokemon-related job, or (c) are absurdly wealthy, you're not going to want to stay in one place. You're going to want to travel, see the world, and possibly earn your fortune by beating up other people's pets with your own pets and then stealing their wallets.

In theory this is true of the real world as well...but most people just stay in one place anyway.

Red Fel
2017-10-26, 08:19 AM
In theory this is true of the real world as well...but most people just stay in one place anyway.

In the real world, there is reason to. Specifically, financial reason. Traveling is hard and expensive, and you need a place to store your belongings, and it's difficult to keep a job when you are itinerant. Also, not everyone can survive in the wild.

In the Pokemon world, less so. Traveling is as easy as having a pet that can Fly/Surf/Teleport, your belongings are generally few and can fit in your magical TARDIS-backpack, and you don't need a job because apparently almost everything is free and money is rarely if ever a concern. Every child has wilderness survival training - inasmuch as they've been dropped in the wilderness at the age of 10 or so and are expected to learn to survive - so you don't even need a house.

Fri
2017-10-26, 08:40 AM
In the real world, there is reason to. Specifically, financial reason. Traveling is hard and expensive, and you need a place to store your belongings, and it's difficult to keep a job when you are itinerant. Also, not everyone can survive in the wild.

In the Pokemon world, less so. Traveling is as easy as having a pet that can Fly/Surf/Teleport, your belongings are generally few and can fit in your magical TARDIS-backpack, and you don't need a job because apparently almost everything is free and money is rarely if ever a concern. Every child has wilderness survival training - inasmuch as they've been dropped in the wilderness at the age of 10 or so and are expected to learn to survive - so you don't even need a house.

Yep, in my relatively younger day I often thought about why I don't go travel in rpg-style adventure. I realized the reason is one, I can't really fight random encounter to get gold coins in real world (or you can, but it'd be much harder/illegal)

Red Fel
2017-10-26, 09:30 AM
Yep, in my relatively younger day I often thought about why I don't go travel in rpg-style adventure. I realized the reason is one, I can't really fight random encounter to get gold coins in real world (or you can, but it'd be much harder/illegal)

Precisely. For most of us, the reason to stay home is that it is easier, and more profitable, to stay in one place, get an education, and hold down a job.

The Pokemon world is clearly the opposite. Kids don't go to school, they go into the forest and tame magical monsters. The entire world economy is built around these monsters. Few if any are the jobs that don't require you to own Pokemon. Your best choice at success is to wander off into the woods and not come back until you have some sort of hulking beast that can help you do whatever it is you plan to do with your life.

And if you want to stay in the woods? You totally can. You have the wilderness training to stay alive, monsters to protect you from legitimate threats, and there's no actual need for money to provide for yourself. When you do want to come back to civilization, say to go to a theme park or stay in a hotel, you totally can, and the fact that you've been living in the woods for the past month and smell like the fish and berries you've been eating and have precisely nothing by way of currency is a fact of absolutely no consequence.

You don't even need to fight random encounters for money. Because you apparently don't need money. We go to school for years to get good jobs, and work every day at those jobs, to provide for our financial needs. When you have no real financial needs, why keep working at those jobs? Unless you derive personal satisfaction from the work - and maybe you do - it's easier just to go off into the woods and encounter a colony of friendly Caterpie or something.

In the anime, it is never explained how people afford things. You do see people working at jobs, but you also see people explicitly not working. You see lots of scientists doing research, occasional construction crews or safety teams, and the ubiquitous Jennies and Joys. You see shopkeepers, but you rarely see them getting paid for what they do - people just walk in and seem to receive services. And then the rest of the time, you see people living places, doing things, and so forth, without regard for expense or the need to spend time working. For example, the novelization reveals that Delia/Hanako owns the only restaurant in Pallet Town, but I don't remember ever seeing her work there in the anime. Rather, she's constantly working around the house, or going to circus performances or on vacations. How can she afford to own and maintain a home, afford vacations and entertainment, without actually ever going to her job? Only answer: She doesn't need money. Her Mr. Mime apparently wins a lottery at one point, but given how easily and freely people board airplanes and boats, this seems more for the thrill of winning a prize than actually winning something that you couldn't get on your own.

Keltest
2017-10-26, 09:44 AM
Also, aren't there Pokémon that literally just make money appear out of nowhere? Its no wonder people don't use money for much then, its nearly worthless! Just track down an alley Meowth somewhere and boom, infinite money.

Hunter Noventa
2017-10-26, 09:52 AM
Oh man, there are so many pokemon I'd want on my team, but I think I can narrow it down.

First of all, Squirtle for a starter. Blastoise is a frickin turtle with cannons on his back and is pretty amazing. Also can provide water transport thanks to Surf!

Then I'd want a Gardevoir, powerful, cute and friendly.

I'd need a Golurk, because why Fly on a bird when you can Fly on a giant ghost robot?

An Eevee, for the power of fluffiness.

A Lopunny, for additional fluffiness, and its rad mega form.

And my ultimate goal would be a Shiny Metagross. It's so rad.

Traab
2017-10-26, 01:33 PM
There has to be an economy of some sort though. Not everything is created by pokemon after all. Those pokecenters are seriously technologically advanced, its not some nurse joy ordering her chancy to heal pokemon then giving them back. Someone has to be making all those pokeballs. Who makes the tv sets, the video phones, how are researches getting the materials they need to do research? Just because we dont see any employees getting a paycheck doesnt mean there are no paychecks. Its like claiming that Dr House doesnt need to read any medical journals or never needed to read a book because we dont ever see him reading them, so that means he was born with the knowledge that its not lupus! That being said, i can see some things like poke centers being subsidized by the government, whatever that may be. They are a combination vet and hostel for trainers to use from time to time, which implies there is a reason for them to be setup that way. Maybe its considered an investment to encourage trade between towns? After all, if the world revolves around pokemon, and it does, then any town that doesnt have a place to treat injured pokemon or to temporarily house trainers probably would get skipped over a lot and noone would want to go there. We see ash and crew buying things from time to time, so there has to be money involved at some point.

Forrestfire
2017-10-26, 02:29 PM
By Generation 5, the technology in the pokemon world allows people to synthesize objects and living creatures out of dreams. Even before that, they seem to have matter:energy conversion (and back again) down, so it's entirely possible that the pokemon world is largely post-scarcity, or something approximating it.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-26, 03:13 PM
There has to be an economy of some sort though. Not everything is created by pokemon after all. Those pokecenters are seriously technologically advanced, its not some nurse joy ordering her chancy to heal pokemon then giving them back. Someone has to be making all those pokeballs. Who makes the tv sets, the video phones, how are researches getting the materials they need to do research? Just because we dont see any employees getting a paycheck doesnt mean there are no paychecks. Its like claiming that Dr House doesnt need to read any medical journals or never needed to read a book because we dont ever see him reading them, so that means he was born with the knowledge that its not lupus! That being said, i can see some things like poke centers being subsidized by the government, whatever that may be. They are a combination vet and hostel for trainers to use from time to time, which implies there is a reason for them to be setup that way. Maybe its considered an investment to encourage trade between towns? After all, if the world revolves around pokemon, and it does, then any town that doesnt have a place to treat injured pokemon or to temporarily house trainers probably would get skipped over a lot and noone would want to go there. We see ash and crew buying things from time to time, so there has to be money involved at some point.

Here is how I think the pokemon world works, so warning headcanon:

the pokemon League is the government, because they're the ones with the pokemon and can defeat everyone else. The reason why they rule with pokemon instead of guns is that guns simply don't work against pokemon and if you kill trainers, the pokemon get REAL revenge-y and kill the person responsible so no one even bothers, when the pokemon are more destructive and flexible than guns anyways. what does this have to do with economy? because everything is connected, I'll get to it.

these leagues seem to comprise themselves of 10 or so cities each, most of them with a Gym leader probably to protect that city. regions seem to based upon places like New York, parts of Japan, the northern part of metropolitan France, and Hawaii, so Pokemon regions? not very large, they don't even get to the size of many modern nations.* Given that the League is the only known government, pokemon trainers need pokemon for protection and there is a constant need to battle and get stronger, my thinking is that pokemon civilization is actually small and spread out compared to ours, with isolated regions of civilization between vast stretches of civilization full of nothing but pokemon, with pokemon leagues forming government for peoples protection against disasters and pokemon and thus they place so much emphasis on cooperating with pokemon because they can't afford NOT to, and pokemon are inherently creatures of battling to get stronger, pokemon's natural process is one of getting stronger through battle and thus battling is a healthy part of their life cycle, the pokemon league is a simply a fun symbiotic way for that cycle to be fulfilled while keeping humans safe at the same time.

Thus, their economy runs on pokemon to a large extent, there is all sorts of jobs any number of pokemon can do if your creative enough, but of course you can't hire a trainer to do everything so there is some jobs that are just more efficient done yourself. I imagine older trainers function like pokemon mercenaries- they do whatever job you can possibly do with the pokemon they have as well as go out and catch pokemon for other people to get and train for something else. like, a pokemon mercenary will probably go and find some machoke to catch and give to some people to train to be a construction worker, and the construction guys convince the machoke that he will get to lift heavy stuff and get strong doing so and become fast friends as a result. as well as explaining why someone could own a strong pokemon without being much of a trainer themselves- it just makes sense to contract that work out to someone dedicated to the profession if you can't do it yourself. this of course can be and probably is abused by the rich to make pokemon mercenaries to go out and catch cute pokemon to keep as frivolous pets.

so of course, people don't want to always make a pokemon mercenary go out and catch a pokemon again and again, thats inefficient, so you start breeding farms for the pokemon people want and sell them. there is of course ethical ones that take care of the pokemon, and unethical ones that don't and thus criminals for the crime of pokemon mistreatment/abuse. thus the rich eventually just buy pre-bred pokemon instead that are optimized for one trait or another. a rich guy doesn't go out and catch pokemon, they buy the pokemon they want with perfect genetics to make them stronger to have it sent to them in a luxury ball, then go forth and beat things with their "perfect" pokemon. at least some of the trainers in the League got so far because of their money and not their skills.

trainers themselves bet money on who wins or loses and the winner gets the payout. thus people consider being a trainer a risky profession as there is a good chance you'll lose too much and become broke. this is why pokemon mercenaries expand their income by doing various odd jobs that don't involve just fighting for bets. most people who battle are casual- that is, they aren't trainers by profession, they just battle pokemon for fun or as a hobby and thus don't make the effort or catching a diverse team and training them constantly to ensure victory, thus there is a big power gap between the average battler and the people who actually work to get badges and such. and that many professional battlers go through the league because its such a consistent way to earn the money much like any sport, but there are probably other ways of doing it, and imagine more than one trainer does work for the League like helping pokemon rangers with a problem or fighting a criminal team. while some pro-battlers work for companies to test out stuff that could be useful for pokemon or their trainers, and that there are probably a lot of competitions other than the League challenge out there for them to do.

of course if the pokemon league is the government and the pro-battlers are the ones most participating in the competition, that means the Champion is formed from the ranks of the pro-battlers, and thus we fall into an old anime trope of the best fighter gets to be king because the best fighter is the best protector and kings protect the people and keep order in the realm, which I guess has a little credence to it since pokemon trainers are already leaders and thus already battle with their minds and encourage the pokemon under them to work as a team. one may think its doesn't make much sense to give the leadership position to whoever beats everyone else with six super-powerful creatures, but pokemon has existed since the dawn of time in their world so cultural differences are to be expected- its just a symbol of how good at leadership they are since, if they can handle dangerous pokemon then other people should be a cinch! again cultural difference thats probably what people think whether its accurate or not, because whether it is accurate, is irrelevant to how culture works.

thus pokemon world has probably monetized pokemon in possible ways you can think of, they're super-powerful creatures who can be loyal to you if you just show them the proper care- why wouldn't you?

*((at the same time in the anime, Ash and Co. generally travel on foot for a year each region, and assuming most efficient walking speed it takes 10950 miles to walk for a year! Thats much longer than a region's size. I guess Ash is so bad about getting lost that somehow they end up walking the distance three times that between New York and Seattle within the space of less than Japan. Ash Ketchum everybody!))

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-26, 03:58 PM
A Lopunny, for additional fluffiness, and its rad mega form.

Not to insult your opinion, they differ, that's what they're for, but to me that mega might be my least favorite Pokémon design.

Lopunny is a Playboy bunny, fine, I can accept that, but between the pigtails, the torn ballet suit (edit: looked at it again and actually, what kind of outfit is that even?) and the standard sprite no longer keeping her hands in front of her chest to suggest breasts, Mega-Lopunny looks a lot like maybe a ten year old Playboy bunny. And I just can't unsee it!

It's supposed to look more like a kickboxing/tae bo version I figure, tougher and meaner, but the execution doesn't work at all for me.

Just ahh.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-26, 04:02 PM
Not to insult your opinion, they differ, that's what they're for, but to me that mega might be my least favorite Pokémon design.

Lopunny is a Playboy bunny, fine, I can accept that, but between the pigtails, the torn ballet suit and the standard sprite no longer keeping her hands in front of her chest to suggest breasts, Mega-Lopunny looks a lot like maybe a ten year old Playboy bunny. And I just can't unsee it!

It's supposed to look more like a kickboxing/tae bo version I figure, tougher and meaner, but the execution doesn't work at all for me.

Just ahh.

I've never really liked Mega Lopunny, so i never really looked at its Mega. I kinda see where you're coming from, but i dont see it. I just see a kickboxing rabbit, which may be why im not a fan, feels a bit lazy.

TeChameleon
2017-10-27, 12:14 AM
I'd probably go one of two ways- either assembling a team of favourites, or seeing if I could set up shop as a gym leader- probably with a Ground gym, since that's where my tastes seem to lie.

For a Ground Gym, I'd pull together a team of Steelix (Mega?), Mamoswine, Golurk, Gliscor, Gastrodon (East Sea- the blue one), and Stunfisk- for the top-tier team, of course, for the lower-level stuff, I'm not so sure. It would be a ton of work, but at the same time, it does seem like the kind of thing I'd personally find rewarding.

For just the team-of-favourites, it's both easier and harder; my self-imposed rules are no type overlap, and all dual-type 'mons. Steelix, Houndoom, Rotom (just plain Rotom), Gallade, Carracosta and Alolan Ninetales I think would be how the team would turn out at this stage. Tough to narrow it down, though, because I have a lot that I'm at least somewhat fond of... would probably have a Braviary, a Dragalge, and a Leavanny for backup coverage, and a Tropius as my mount-of-choice.

Kyberwulf
2017-10-27, 05:22 AM
I think the next question I have... is how many people here could really fight with thier Pokemon against other Pokemon? Think of real life dog v dog fights. Now imagine dog v cat fights... then throwing a random chicken.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-27, 06:39 AM
I think the next question I have... is how many people here could really fight with thier Pokemon against other Pokemon? Think of real life dog v dog fights. Now imagine dog v cat fights... then throwing a random chicken.

It's not a fair comparison, which is the main reason Pokemon is fun to begin with. Pokemon are the perfect honorable martial artists who never get hurt by anything (except if the bad guys do something minor, their evilness just rubs of on their attacks or something) and who like their trainers in a puppy-like licking their face way for finding fights for them. If they acted like trained fighting dogs the anime would have been canceled after half an episode. Fighting a factor 100 above or below their weight class is never a problem either. Dog VS rooster is wrong in several ways, Gyarados VS anything that fits in its mouth is fine, even if they use bite.

That said, I still probably wouldn't be big on battling. I might spar with my Pokemon myself, do some recreational battles maybe. Just having the fun the universe allows.

Kantaki
2017-10-27, 06:49 AM

Considering the chicken breaths fire and the cat commands the forces of darkness I don't see the issue.

Hunter Noventa
2017-10-27, 07:35 AM

Lopunny is a Playboy bunny, fine, I can accept that, but between the pigtails, the torn ballet suit (edit: looked at it again and actually, what kind of outfit is that even?) and the standard sprite no longer keeping her hands in front of her chest to suggest breasts, Mega-Lopunny looks a lot like maybe a ten year old Playboy bunny. And I just can't unsee it!

Just ahh.

I have a soft spot for it because it can almost solo the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Elite 4.

Kantaki
2017-10-27, 07:55 AM
I have a soft spot for it because it can almost solo the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Elite 4.

What do you mean „almost?:smallconfused:
There's no almost involved. It can and will crush those Clowns solo given the chance to so.:smallcool:

Hunter Noventa
2017-10-27, 08:15 AM
What do you mean „almost?:smallconfused:
There's no almost involved. It can and will crush those Clowns solo given the chance to so.:smallcool:

I don't think I had mine quite high enough level to 100% take down Steven's Mega Metagross. But yeah, the Hoenn Elite 4 is laughably easy for a Mega Lopunny.

Kantaki
2017-10-27, 08:23 AM
I don't think I had mine quite high enough level to 100% take down Steven's Mega Metagross. But yeah, the Hoenn Elite 4 is laughably easy for a Mega Lopunny.

Fixed for you.:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

thorgrim29
2017-10-27, 08:45 AM
So I know gen 1 and 2 pokemons pretty well and the following ones not at all. With that in mind I would go for pokemon that are either fluffy and fun to play with or useful to get around with. Also are pokemon hypoallergenic? Because I'm allergic to cats and some dogs, so not being allergic to them would be a criteria.

-A growlithe/arcanine is a must, I love big dogs
-Probably an eevee because adorable (also my evee will be my wingman/woman). If I can swing it I'd like to evolve it into an espeon because having a telepathic psychic type around is handy and it also acts as a walking advertisement that you're nice to your pokemon.
-A chikorita (that I will call Mr Steak) (also assuming I don't get hayfever from flower pokemon)
-Some kind of big bird, maybe a pidgeot or a swellow (although since I am like 6 or 7 times as heavy as a 10 year old boy I don't know how well small bird would bear my weight)
-A machop/machoke to work out and bro-out with
-A seal/dugong to surf on and act as a walking (waddling?) AC

Forum Explorer
2017-10-27, 12:11 PM
We know there is certainly some sort of money. James is rich for example, and there have often been times where Team Rocket has needed to spend money. I imagine Ash is actually drawing a wage somehow, maybe prize money from gyms or something like that.

Aotrs Commander
2017-10-27, 12:19 PM
We know there is certainly some sort of money. James is rich for example, and there have often been times where Team Rocket has needed to spend money. I imagine Ash is actually drawing a wage somehow, maybe prize money from gyms or something like that.

I dunno, I think whatever passes for the government should be paying him a stupidly high retainer for consistently saving the world... Two or three times per region (which, if we believe the nonaging nonsense, apparently means about twenty times a year or something)...

Friv
2017-10-27, 12:46 PM
I dunno, I think whatever passes for the government should be paying him a stupidly high retainer for consistently saving the world... Two or three times per region (which, if we believe the nonaging nonsense, apparently means about twenty times a year or something)...

I choose to believe that (a) years in Pokemon are about twenty times longer than they are in the real world, and (b) everyone ages about that slowly because humans are also hyper-specialized genetic monstrosities. This is also why people are so ridiculously sturdy.

Aotrs Commander
2017-10-27, 02:12 PM
I choose to believe that (a) years in Pokemon are about twenty times longer than they are in the real world, and (b) everyone ages about that slowly because humans are also hyper-specialized genetic monstrosities. This is also why people are so ridiculously sturdy.

With the aid of my stellar spreadsheet and a bit of fagpacket estimateion and iterative workings (which I could probably have just used the basic rules form, since that's how it panned out) as a crude plausibility estimatation:

That means that for that distance and for the stellar flux to be the same (i.e. the same amont of sunlgiht reaching it) the planet has an orbital radius of about 20 AU and the sun needs to be 400 times brighter than Sol (which means its is about twenty times the mass and about three times the radius). (From estimated temperature, you're looking at an early main sequence B-type star, roughly.)

As far as I bothered to check, the apparent magnitude (how bright it is in the sky) of the sun remains the about same, however, it would be only very roughly one-sixth the angular diamter (how large it is in the sky) which is about half the mamximum size of Venus.

Seems inconsistent with the anime, though to be fair, everything else seems to show it is plausible for that to happen, kinda. Whcih is more than I suspected might be the case, which just goes to show.

(And I've already spent more time on this than it deserves, but if anyone else wants to go through and do it properly, they are welcome...!)

Velaryon
2017-10-27, 02:16 PM
DISCLAIMER: I haven't watched the Pokemon anime since before Johto came out, so I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of touch and have no idea what I may be getting myself into with these particular Pokemon and their behaviors in the animeverse.

Anyway, I'm just gonna pull an Ash and fight all my toughest battles with my one chosen Pokemon (Houndoom), regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.

But for variety's sake, I'll bring along some variety:

Pangoro
Snorlax
Mimikyu
Starmie
Alakazam

That should give me a good amount of variety, as well as some utility (surf, teleport, etc.)

Traab
2017-10-27, 02:37 PM
I choose to believe that pikachu is actually god. Its why his electricity defeats rock types and why ash never ages, and noone ever notices. Ash befriended god, and in exchange they will travel and adventure together for eternity. As for money, yeah I have to imagine there is some form of funding for pokemon trainers, otherwise, how the heck does brock get all those delicious doughnuts? :smallbiggrin: Meh, maybe the pokeworld has a government mandated stipend for everyone to cover basics so thats why everyone is free to chase their dream, they wont lose the house while trying to be a pokemon master, or lead singer of a polka band, or whatever. Or maybe poke trainers get paid because they are capturing wild pokemon, training them up, and will eventually trade them in. Not everyone has an ash/pikachu style bond after all. Hell, doesnt ash have an entire herd of tauros? He only ever worked with one. And he tends to ignore all of them when he starts a new league in favor of pikachu and starting fresh with all new pokemon. So it makes sense that these extra pokemon get donated to the government for a wide variety of uses and in exchange, his poke master lifestyle gets funded. Why dont we learn of this? For the same reason we rarely ever get to see every OTHER detail of their lives, because poke battles and team rocket face punching is better for ratings! lol

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 02:58 PM
I choose to believe that pikachu is actually god. Its why his electricity defeats rock types and why ash never ages, and noone ever notices. Ash befriended god, and in exchange they will travel and adventure together for eternity.

As for money, yeah I have to imagine there is some form of funding for pokemon trainers, otherwise, how the heck does brock get all those delicious doughnuts? :smallbiggrin:

Meh, maybe the pokeworld has a government mandated stipend for everyone to cover basics so thats why everyone is free to chase their dream, they wont lose the house while trying to be a pokemon master, or lead singer of a polka band, or whatever. Or maybe poke trainers get paid because they are capturing wild pokemon, training them up, and will eventually trade them in. Not everyone has an ash/pikachu style bond after all. Hell, doesnt ash have an entire herd of tauros? He only ever worked with one. And he tends to ignore all of them when he starts a new league in favor of pikachu and starting fresh with all new pokemon. So it makes sense that these extra pokemon get donated to the government for a wide variety of uses and in exchange, his poke master lifestyle gets funded. Why dont we learn of this? For the same reason we rarely ever get to see every OTHER detail of their lives, because poke battles and team rocket face punching is better for ratings! lol

ok 1. Pikachu isn't Arceus, why? Arceus can't learn Transform, which is needed for that to be true, because Arceus is the god of the pokemon world. Also, Rock types aren't immune to electricity, GROUND types are, there is a difference. there are in fact rock types that have a weakness to electricity, such as Kabutops, Pikachu is still hax, but not because of rock types, but because of piercing GROUND types not ROCK types

now it might be possible for MEW to be Pikachu because it can learn Transform. Or, Occam's Razor, Pikachu simply has a unique special ability equivalent to Scrappy but for electric attacks to hit ground types.

2. They're rice balls. not donuts. that was a 4kids-ism.

3. no, Ash still has all his pokemon at Oak's ranch. the ones that he doesn't let leave into the wild, give to another trainer, or otherwise let leave, just sit at Oak's ranch and do whatever. he still has his thirty Tauros and they never leave his possession.

Traab
2017-10-27, 04:06 PM
ok 1. Pikachu isn't Arceus, why? Arceus can't learn Transform, which is needed for that to be true, because Arceus is the god of the pokemon world. Also, Rock types aren't immune to electricity, GROUND types are, there is a difference. there are in fact rock types that have a weakness to electricity, such as Kabutops, Pikachu is still hax, but not because of rock types, but because of piercing GROUND types not ROCK types

now it might be possible for MEW to be Pikachu because it can learn Transform. Or, Occam's Razor, Pikachu simply has a unique special ability equivalent to Scrappy but for electric attacks to hit ground types.

2. They're rice balls. not donuts. that was a 4kids-ism.

3. no, Ash still has all his pokemon at Oak's ranch. the ones that he doesn't let leave into the wild, give to another trainer, or otherwise let leave, just sit at Oak's ranch and do whatever. he still has his thirty Tauros and they never leave his possession.

1) Oh look here at the pokemon expert! You wanna trophy for your pokemon expertedness?! Feh, everyone knows arceus is nothing but an avatar of our lord and savior pikachu. If you deny the reality then you shall be purged by dragonrage!

2) Hence the :smallbiggrin:

3)I really hope Ash is the one and only pokemon trainer oak is sponsoring. Otherwise the dude needs to own landmass the size of texas to let the vast armies of random pokemon roam around free. Not too mention the need for a dozen different habitats as his goldeen wont be happy on an open plain, and so on. How the hell does that even work? At least keeping them in a computer system makes some sense, you dont need 50 acres to care for 30 digitized tauros after all. They fit on a flash drive. Now imagine him taking care of even a dozen other trainers extra pokemon. Now we know why the towns are so dang small, they need all the room for poke professors to store multiple continents worth of pokemon open range style.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 04:10 PM
1) Oh look here at the pokemon expert! You wanna trophy for your pokemon expertedness?! Feh, everyone knows arceus is nothing but an avatar of our lord and savior pikachu. If you deny the reality then you shall be purged by dragonrage!

Yes. because your wrong. I just stated facts. your jokes are not funny, said pikachu "god" couldn't take out a starting level Snivvy, dragon rage isn't even that good of a move past low levels, and sizes of things doesn't make sense in pokemon, news at 11.

Forum Explorer
2017-10-27, 04:13 PM

That makes sense. Save the world, and you just stop needing to pay for stuff. It's a better reward then most heroes get. :smallbiggrin:

I choose to believe that pikachu is actually god. Its why his electricity defeats rock types and why ash never ages, and noone ever notices. Ash befriended god, and in exchange they will travel and adventure together for eternity. As for money, yeah I have to imagine there is some form of funding for pokemon trainers, otherwise, how the heck does brock get all those delicious doughnuts? :smallbiggrin: Meh, maybe the pokeworld has a government mandated stipend for everyone to cover basics so thats why everyone is free to chase their dream, they wont lose the house while trying to be a pokemon master, or lead singer of a polka band, or whatever. Or maybe poke trainers get paid because they are capturing wild pokemon, training them up, and will eventually trade them in. Not everyone has an ash/pikachu style bond after all. Hell, doesnt ash have an entire herd of tauros? He only ever worked with one. And he tends to ignore all of them when he starts a new league in favor of pikachu and starting fresh with all new pokemon. So it makes sense that these extra pokemon get donated to the government for a wide variety of uses and in exchange, his poke master lifestyle gets funded. Why dont we learn of this? For the same reason we rarely ever get to see every OTHER detail of their lives, because poke battles and team rocket face punching is better for ratings! lol

I can kinda see this from the opposite direction. Wild pokemon are dangerous, so the government funds Pokemon trainers to go out and catch them, maybe as some sort of bounty system. But the Pokemon trainers serve to reduce the number of dangerous wild pokemon, as well as helping protect against Pokemon rampages.

Lethologica
2017-10-27, 04:15 PM
Yes. because your wrong. I just stated facts. your jokes are not funny, said pikachu "god" couldn't take out a starting level Snivvy, dragon rage isn't even that good of a move past low levels, and sizes of things doesn't make sense in pokemon, news at 11.
Okay, but what about Brooklyn rage? I hear that has better scaling.

Traab
2017-10-27, 04:18 PM

Oooookay, look, I apologize for daring to poke fun at what is clearly your entire focus in life. Relax, take a deep breath, and make like elsa.

Traab
2017-10-27, 04:20 PM
That makes sense. Save the world, and you just stop needing to pay for stuff. It's a better reward then most heroes get. :smallbiggrin:

I can kinda see this from the opposite direction. Wild pokemon are dangerous, so the government funds Pokemon trainers to go out and catch them, maybe as some sort of bounty system. But the Pokemon trainers serve to reduce the number of dangerous wild pokemon, as well as helping protect against Pokemon rampages.

That could actually work, we DO see ash dealing with some nasty groups of pokemon from time to time. Heck right off the bat there is that spearow swarm. I forget if there was anything in particular that ticked them off or if they are just violent jerks. You had the squirtle squad, I believe at one point there was issues with diglets and dugtrios tearing up an area, and those jigglypuffs are a menace to society!

Kantaki
2017-10-27, 04:22 PM
3)I really hope Ash is the one and only pokemon trainer oak is sponsoring. Otherwise the dude needs to own landmass the size of texas to let the vast armies of random pokemon roam around free. Not too mention the need for a dozen different habitats as his goldeen wont be happy on an open plain, and so on. How the hell does that even work? At least keeping them in a computer system makes some sense, you dont need 50 acres to care for 30 digitized tauros after all. They fit on a flash drive. Now imagine him taking care of even a dozen other trainers extra pokemon. Now we know why the towns are so dang small, they need all the room for poke professors to store multiple continents worth of pokemon open range style.

Judging by the rare episodes where Ash is home Oak has that much space.
And even various habitats for all kinds of Pokčmon.
I assume Tardis-Hax. It's the only reasonable explanation.
Ash and his companions don't notice because A) it's Ash and B) his stupidity is infectious.:smallamused:

Legato Endless
2017-10-27, 07:40 PM
Oooookay, look, I apologize for daring to poke fun at what is clearly your entire focus in life. Relax, take a deep breath, and make like elsa.

Also the rock is immune to electricity has to one of the most common typing misconceptions. I can't have been the only 9 year old to weep in silent horror as my beloved aerodactyl fell from the heavens from a crumby Raichu's thunderbolt. Right?

Right?

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 08:11 PM
Also the rock is immune to electricity has to one of the most common typing misconceptions. I can't have been the only 9 year old to weep in silent horror as my beloved aerodactyl fell from the heavens from a crumby Raichu's thunderbolt. Right?

Right?

It is a common misconception because Brock cheats by having two pokemon that are Rock/Ground dual typed: Geodude and Onix. meaning the first gym is just as much of a Ground type gym as the last one thus walling anyone with a pikachu, but since everyone has a full team by Giovanni, they're using water types and whatnot to defeat him anyways.

this is reinforced by Roxanne of Hoenn using Geodude, and Roark using both Geodude and Onix in his lineup. meaning the other Rock type gym leaders both use a very common pokemon- Geodude- that is practically one of the iconic rock types but is also Ground type, and Roark outright copies Brock's set up and adds a Cranidos on top which is NOT ground type, but you assume is immune to electricity anyways because the first two are after all.

this of course could've all been avoided if they just never gave Brock dual-typed rock/ground pokemon in the first place and/or just kept Geodude and Onix as pure rock types. then Ash using pikachu to defeat Onix would be perfectly consistent with the rules. then you just have to have Ash go up two IQ points by switching out Pikachu for Squirtle to defeat them with water when it comes up, the mess would be avoided, and pikachu would actually make a little more sense, but hey since when was making sense a priority for the pokemon anime?

Blackhawk748
2017-10-27, 08:12 PM

Right?

Considering the most common Rock types we ran into where also Ground it was a rather common misconception.

It is a common misconception because Brock cheats by having two pokemon that are Rock/Ground dual typed: Geodude and Onix. meaning the first gym is just as much of a Ground type gym as the last one thus walling anyone with a pikachu, but since everyone has a full team by Giovanni, they're using water types and whatnot to defeat him anyways.

this is reinforced by Roxanne of Hoenn using Geodude, and Roark using both Geodude and Onix in his lineup. meaning the other Rock type gym leaders both use a very common pokemon- Geodude- that is practically one of the iconic rock types but is also Ground type, and Roark outright copies Brock's set up and adds a Cranidos on top which is NOT ground type, but you assume is immune to electricity anyways because the first two are after all.

this of course could've all been avoided if they just never gave Brock dual-typed rock/ground pokemon in the first place and/or just kept Geodude and Onix as pure rock types. then Ash using pikachu to defeat Onix would be perfectly consistent with the rules. then you just have to have Ash go up two IQ points by switching out Pikachu for Squirtle to defeat them with water when it comes up, the mess would be avoided, and pikachu would actually make a little more sense, but hey since when was making sense a priority for the pokemon anime?

And this is why every Yellow player had a Nidoran or a Mankey by Brocks gym. Also Ash only had Pidgeotto and Pikachu by Brock, so he couldnt have used Squirtle.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 08:16 PM
Also Ash only had Pidgeotto and Pikachu by Brock, so he couldnt have used Squirtle.

Yes. that is why I said to make the two pokemon Brock uses, pure Rock types.

This has been stating facts theatre.

Aotrs Commander
2017-10-27, 08:29 PM

That's hardly the anime's fault, though; the games were the ones that set the typing up with no pure rock types at all in Gen 1 (and only nine in total, five of which were fossils), and they did not have Pikachu as a starter in mind.

Not that it really matters, because Pikachu lightning bolts ground types ALL the time anyway.

Hell, there was that time Pikachu lightning bolted God, and it did more damage than either or the two legendaries God was fighting at the time...

Blackhawk748
2017-10-27, 08:33 PM

This has been stating facts theatre.

I know that, but you then immediately mentioned switching Pikachu for Squirtle, which wasnt possible at the time. Also there are no mono Rock types in Gen 1, unless you are referring to just having Geodude and Onix be mono Rock, which would be fine, except the creators apparently thought Mono Rock would be to good.

That's hardly the anime's fault, though; the games were the ones that set the typing up with no pure rock types at all in Gen 1 (and only nine in total, five of which were fossils), and they did not have Pikachu as a starter in mind.

Not that it really matters, because Pikachu lightning bolts ground types ALL the time anyway.

Hell, there was that time Pikachu lightning bolted God, and it did more damage than either or the two legendaries God was fighting at the time...

The typical reasoning for this is that Ground types have a way to make themselves immune. Bunnleby, for instance, stuck its ears into the ground in order to disperse the energy, when it couldnt do that Pikachus thunderbolt worked normally.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 08:54 PM

That is the exact nonsense I'm arguing would be fixed? What does this have to do with arguing against it?

I know that, but you then immediately mentioned switching Pikachu for Squirtle, which wasnt possible at the time. Also there are no mono Rock types in Gen 1, unless you are referring to just having Geodude and Onix be mono Rock, which would be fine, except the creators apparently thought Mono Rock would be to good.

The typical reasoning for this is that Ground types have a way to make themselves immune. Bunnleby, for instance, stuck its ears into the ground in order to disperse the energy, when it couldnt do that Pikachus
thunderbolt worked normally.

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that it'd make more sense. also, mono-rock? not a good typing. has like, four weaknesses. one of them is ground, the other three are water, grass and fighting. thats gen 1. in gen 2 onwards, it also became weak to steel. so actually five weaknesses, tied with grass in number.

doesn't change the fact that they are immune. also, a pelipper could also do the grounding trick with its wing during Ash's flying gym hoenn battle, and its Flying/Water which electricity is QUAD EFFECTIVE on. again, the anime doesn't prioritize making sense.

An Enemy Spy
2017-10-27, 09:03 PM
Man, you are really angry about a kids' show.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-27, 09:10 PM
Man, you are really angry about a kids' show.

Wow, you are really hypocritical about something every nerd eventually does. glass houses and stones, Enemy Spy. glass houses and stones.

Jayngfet
2017-10-27, 09:19 PM
The silly part is by later gens pikachu became a viable pkemon even without a light ball as a main. All you need is a TM for Brick Break and suddenly rock means nothing to you, and that's with Iron Tail being an illegal move in gen 7 for Pikachu.

Of course this doesn't stop Ash from still using Iron Tail. Rules are for losers after all.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-27, 09:27 PM
The silly part is by later gens pikachu became a viable pkemon even without a light ball as a main. All you need is a TM for Brick Break and suddenly rock means nothing to you, and that's with Iron Tail being an illegal move in gen 7 for Pikachu.

Of course this doesn't stop Ash from still using Iron Tail. Rules are for losers after all.

Clearly he just transferred Pikachu up. I mean, you could still do that today if you really wanted.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-28, 03:43 AM
Considering the most common Rock types we ran into where also Ground it was a rather common misconception.

So common the makers of the first season of the anime regularly fell for it themselves, adding even further to the confusion.

Add their "clever" solution to the Rhydon battle in there (Rhydon looking more ground type than rock type compared to Onix or Golem), and the conclusion you'd draw from the anime, where the main Pokémon is an electric type, is that rock types, not ground types, are supposed to be some form of immune or resistant to electric attacks.

Aotrs Commander
2017-10-28, 03:49 AM
That is the exact nonsense I'm arguing would be fixed? What does this have to do with arguing against it?

Considering Ash and Pikachu's HAX is the best thing about the anime (seriously, Thunder Armour makes me crease myself every time even now), it might have been easier to for them to just admit defeat and have Ash's Pikachu have a special ability which works like Scrappy, only on ground types.

(That fanfic I'm always on about, Ashes of the Past did that, but Ash and Pikachu they decided calling it Zappy was A Bit Too Silly, even for them...)

I mean, basically only Ash Ketchum could make a Pokémon basically mega-evolve... Without a mega stone. Dude's priceless.

Lord Raziere
2017-10-28, 12:37 PM
Considering Ash and Pikachu's HAX is the best thing about the anime (seriously, Thunder Armour makes me crease myself every time even now), it might have been easier to for them to just admit defeat and have Ash's Pikachu have a special ability which works like Scrappy, only on ground types.

(That fanfic I'm always on about, Ashes of the Past did that, but Ash and Pikachu they decided calling it Zappy was A Bit Too Silly, even for them...)

I mean, basically only Ash Ketchum could make a Pokémon basically mega-evolve... Without a mega stone. Dude's priceless.

I like that fan fic to, its just that canon Ash is a loser and his Pikachu's power is completely inconsistent:

CAN PIERCE THROUGH GROUND TYPE IMMUNITY
*Insert Meme'd Picture of Pikachu here*
CAN'T DAMAGE A PELIPPER WITH WING STUCK IN GROUND

CAN DEAL MORE DAMAGE THAN LEGENDARIES TO THE GOD OF ALL POKEMON
*Insert Meme'd Picture of Pikachu here*
CAN'T DEFEAT A STARTER SNIVVY

or lets look at Ashes unusual battling strategies:
WINS WHEN HAS TYPE DISADVANTAGE
*Insert Meme'd Picture of Ash here*
LOSES WHEN TRIES TO USE TYPE ADVANTAGE OVER HIS OPPONENTS
(Is he battling on Inverse Rules or something?)

people just say hax because people naturally as always, gravitate towards Pikachu's higher feats and ignore his weakness feats. In fact, there are many battles where Pikachu lost or got worfed so that Ash had to use other pokemon, he is not a reliable pokemon to use. sure it seems as if a PikAshu is a good idea, but then Team Rocket shows up with an electricity immune thing that actually works this weak, steals all six of your PikAshus and suddenly you have no pokemon to use and alternates to switch to that get around the immunity. or you get owned by some water or flying type trainer for the sake of irony and the water type specifically training against electric attacks, because type advantages what are those? or your PikAshus get sick before each new region and reset their power back down to suck....there are simply too many situations written to make PikAshu useless. I'd rather have a normal Pikachu and thus make the world consistently obey the pokemon rules so that I can actually use an electric type to do what its supposed to be for.

In short, PikAshu has a weakness to Plot-Type Attacks. :smalltongue: Not a good weakness to have.

Ravens_cry
2017-10-28, 12:57 PM
I'd go and find me a Cubone and adopt them, not sending them out to fight but to be my friend.
I want them to know that they don't have to be alone any more.:smalleek:

ScrambledBrains
2017-11-07, 06:18 PM
A bit late to the party here, but assuming a person can snag mons from multiple regions and unlike the games, four-moveslot-syndrome isn't a thing, my team is as follows:

Gardevoir
Luxray
Infernape
Staraptor
Ferrothorn
Blastoise

Good mix of types with a bunch of my favorites, especially my boy/girl Luxray.

Vizzerdrix
2017-12-11, 08:59 PM
1- miltank
2- nidoking
3- gengar
4- alolan meowth (with pickup and payday)
5- turtwig
6- Starmie

4 that can heal themselves. Meowth setup is a cash machine. And with the right TM moves and training nidoking can wreck almost anything. Slap fire, ice, and thunder punch on him along with aqua tail. Then train for physical attack and speed. Lastly, put toxic on my miltank.

Between meowth and miltank I could make a comfy living selling the random finds and moo moo milk on days I didnt feel like battling.

Seerow
2017-12-12, 10:18 AM
So my first thought was "I am in nowhere near good enough shape to go running around a continent on my own two feet"

And then I remembered the mobility many Pokemon offer. Specifically Teleport is a thing. So first pokemon on the team has to be someone with teleport. For that purpose, I'd go with a Ralts, or possibly a Cosmog if an option. Wouldn't want either one evolved, Gardevoir is kind of creepy from a real life perspective, and Cosmog becomes a legendary (but is possibly legendary itself? Seems unclear).

Okay so that's taken care of, now we can teleport wherever we want to go (I'm assuming game mechanics of teleporting only to last pokemon center do not apply).

Next after that I would go with Lycanroc Day Form. He's a good dog, and makes for a solid stand-by companion.

Others I would probably rotate out frequently. I suspect in real life I'd tend towards smaller easier to manage mons over giant monsters. More Eevee, less T-tar. But yeah no set team per se.

Edit: one other Mon I would definitely have is Bewear the Pooh Bear. Soft and cuddly, decently effective, and the first Pokemon I bothered to shiny hunt.