PDA

View Full Version : Does Spell Sniper stack with Eldritch Spear?

Erit
2017-10-23, 06:42 PM
Question's in the title, I don't think it requires further expounding upon. I just think a 600ft-range cantrip sounds like a useful trick to have up ones sleeve, especially if they're primarily melee dipping Warlock for light casting.

Eragon123
2017-10-23, 06:45 PM
Yes also with distant spell from sorcerer for 1200 ft of range. Because that one guy running away? F*ck that guy.

Naanomi
2017-10-23, 07:09 PM
I played a warlock/fighter/rogue/sorcerer whose schtick was 'eldritch sniper'... surprise huge nova attacks from a huge distance...

Xetheral
2017-10-23, 07:33 PM
Add repelling blast and anyone on a castle parapet that isn't behind a merlon can be knocked off the wall at will. Any warlock with the invocation can do this, but it's a lot more effective when done from more than a tenth of a mile away.

SaA
2017-10-24, 03:23 AM
to bad you cannot use the Lore Wizard 1mile spell ability with EB cause its a cantrip

Azgeroth
2017-10-24, 03:35 AM
technically you can, best paired with flying to make sure you can see the targets... and reign eldritch death from on high!

EDIT : then the DM makes you go underground, and its always thick fog outsite... :(

SaA
2017-10-24, 03:38 AM
technically you can, best paired with flying to make sure you can see the targets... and reign eldritch death from on high!

EDIT : then the DM makes you go underground, and its always thick fog outsite... :(

you cant Lore Wiz requires it be atleast a 1st level spell , so Magic Missile would work not EB

Khrysaes
2017-10-28, 11:46 AM
you cant Lore Wiz requires it be atleast a 1st level spell , so Magic Missile would work not EB

I think that was a response to the OP, not the Lore wizard comment.

Dalebert
2017-10-31, 09:23 AM
Uhm... How many people have ever had a DM even let them be aware of an enemy that far away? For me it's like... never... ever. It's always they're within whatever range the map on the table allows and then roll initiative. This seems satisfying to be able to do but comically pointless. I mean, you pretty much have to be in an open field or a desert to see that far. Otherwise they've got complete cover from intervening trees and brush long before.

Erit
2017-10-31, 09:52 AM
Uhm... How many people have ever had a DM even let them be aware of an enemy that far away? For me it's like... never... ever. It's always they're within whatever range the map on the table allows and then roll initiative. This seems satisfying to be able to do but comically pointless. I mean, you pretty much have to be in an open field or a desert to see that far. Otherwise they've got complete cover from intervening trees and brush long before.

I personally do it often when I DM. And the DM I'm playing under for the character that prompted this question makes use to flying opponents in open terrain a lot, so having super-range will be a useful secondary weapon.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-31, 10:00 AM

This is one of those situations where the way the DM wants to run the game often doesn't make sense. I saw a revised ranger in HotDQ with sharpshooter and a longbow - Favored enemies include humanoid and giant. By RAW, there was basically nothing the group would fight that the ranger couldn't detect (primeval awareness) and kill from 600 feet away before it could get to us. While traveling, the ranger used it every mile or so to make sure we wouldn't be ambushed.

So we never got ambushed by bandits or giants, right? Hah, as if. Some DMs just can't help themselves. Guess how often we got to engage targets from 600 feet away. One time, then never again when the ranger ended the encounter alone.

There's a particular kind of metagaming where you act on knowledge about your DM's style rather than about the game world itself. This is one of those situations. In theory, shooting people from 1200 feet away with force damage is the surest way to win any encounter. In practice, just like you said, how many DMs are going to let it happen more than once?

Danielqueue1
2017-10-31, 11:06 AM
I've actually seen this done a number of times to great effect and then afterwards the DM adjusted to it but didn't outright shut it down. (she was a good DM) the character was based around long ranges, so the DM adjusted encounters and scenarios to fit both.

going up against a fortress full of hobgoblins? have the warlock sneak up to the hill to the side of the fort and shoot some bad guys off the parapets. the Warlock wasn't even on the map. the first round surprised them the second round they tried to return fire, the third round they got behind total cover or hid. but as a result the fortress was on full alert the rest of the party climbed the wall as the warlock covered them from a distance taking shots at any who popped their heads out. but once the party got inside the fort, the warlock couldn't hit anything. so he slowly trudged to the fort spotting the returning patrol that he decided to hide from.

most of the times it wasn't in play, but any time we knew where our enemies were going to be, the DM arranged to let the Warlock attempt to "cull the herd" as he put it. this invariably kept us from getting surprise. on the enemy, but it was useful on several occasions. them sending out warg riders to hunt him down meant that the gate had to be opened so the rest of the party could storm the open gate, the defenders all switched to one side so the party could approach from another. enemies grouped up behind cover made the greater invisible wizard a fireball-slinging happy camper.

other times it was completely ignored because of close range engagements.

Spiritchaser
2017-10-31, 11:45 AM

My PCs frequently encounter targets on the high seas at substantial ranges, then generally run away to make the ranges more substantial.

They sometimes have good sight lines in hills or mountains

Though I’ll grant you: with stealthy prone-belly-crawling bug hunts in a sea cave, range does count for less.

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-31, 12:27 PM
I've actually seen this done a number of times to great effect and then afterwards the DM adjusted to it but didn't outright shut it down. (she was a good DM) the character was based around long ranges, so the DM adjusted encounters and scenarios to fit both.

going up against a fortress full of hobgoblins? have the warlock sneak up to the hill to the side of the fort and shoot some bad guys off the parapets. the Warlock wasn't even on the map. the first round surprised them the second round they tried to return fire, the third round they got behind total cover or hid. but as a result the fortress was on full alert the rest of the party climbed the wall as the warlock covered them from a distance taking shots at any who popped their heads out. but once the party got inside the fort, the warlock couldn't hit anything. so he slowly trudged to the fort spotting the returning patrol that he decided to hide from.

most of the times it wasn't in play, but any time we knew where our enemies were going to be, the DM arranged to let the Warlock attempt to "cull the herd" as he put it. this invariably kept us from getting surprise. on the enemy, but it was useful on several occasions. them sending out warg riders to hunt him down meant that the gate had to be opened so the rest of the party could storm the open gate, the defenders all switched to one side so the party could approach from another. enemies grouped up behind cover made the greater invisible wizard a fireball-slinging happy camper.

other times it was completely ignored because of close range engagements.

This. This is a DM working with a character's theme, and letting them be a part of team tactics.
I would let it slide too. Not every encounter, obviously, but for sieging a fort? Yeah, those are pretty sound tactics.
I'd grab Dimension Door as well, to make sure the fight isn't over before I could get to the fort after my sniping session.

ImproperJustice
2017-10-31, 03:33 PM
This seems to turn the warlock into almost a moden day sniper.

Now they just need a Pact of the Chain “”invisible drone” for support, and they can call out targets for the team and engage sensitive targets at Range.

Seems legit to me, and a great use of player abilities.