PDA

View Full Version : list of base casters with less than level 6 max

Mike Miller
2017-10-23, 07:39 PM
Hi all, I was trying to come up with a list of all the base classes that advance casting by level (not by ability like the factotum) but max out before level 6. So far I've come up with:

3rd ed: Paladin, Ranger, Spellthief, Hexblade, Duskblade, Savant, Adept, Magewright, Psychic Rogue, Divine Mind
Pathfinder: Bloodrager, Medium
Savage progressions: Aranea, Drider, and Rakshasa.

Am I missing any?

JNAProductions
2017-10-23, 08:14 PM
Um... Paladin does not max out at level 6, as far as I know. Nor do any of the others. And they advance their OWN casting, not anyone else's.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-23, 08:20 PM
The Adept caps at 5ths, as does the Magewright.

If you go into psionics, the Psychic Rogue goes to to 5ths, and the Divine Mind only gets a single lv 6 power as its capstone,

Mike Miller
2017-10-23, 09:01 PM
Um... Paladin does not max out at level 6, as far as I know. Nor do any of the others. And they advance their OWN casting, not anyone else's.

Ok perhaps I didn't write that as clearly as I could have. What I'm asking for is base classes that don't reach 6th level magic. So, classes that reach, at most, 5th level magic. The paladin only reaches 4th level magic, for example.

The Adept caps at 5ths, as does the Magewright.

If you go into psionics, the Psychic Rogue goes to to 5ths, and the Divine Mind only gets a single lv 6 power as its capstone,

I hadn't considered psionics, simply from lack of familiarity but I'll add them to my list, thanks.

JNAProductions
2017-10-23, 09:19 PM
OH! THAT MAKES SENSE!

Okay, this thread is now clear to me. Thanks for making that happen!

ATHATH
2017-10-24, 12:06 AM
Trapsmith doesn't count because it's not a base class, right?

gkathellar
2017-10-24, 06:38 AM
Lurk's another psionic case - it only goes to 4.

paddyfool
2017-10-24, 06:45 AM
Obviously not Bard (max of level 6) or Factotum (max level 7)... I think often "less than full" casters are limited more by spell range rather than level, e.g. Beguilers cap at level 9 but have a very restrictive list.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-24, 07:07 AM
Lurk's another psionic case - it only goes to 4.
Nope- 6th. Same progression as the PsyWar.

I think that might be the complete list. There aren't really that many base classes in 3.5.

Mike Miller
2017-10-24, 07:49 AM
Trapsmith doesn't count because it's not a base class, right?

Correct, trapsmith doesn't count

ShurikVch
2017-10-24, 09:31 AM
How about the variant classes - such as Urban Adept, Urban Ranger, and numerous variants of Paladin?

Savage progressions are Base classes too? Then - Aranea, Drider, and Rakshasa.

Mlar (Dungeon #100), while able to cast 6th-level spells, have only Major Creation on 6th level of spell list (and get it only at 16th level)

Psyren
2017-10-24, 09:41 AM
Pathfinder has two more: Bloodrager and Medium. (For the latter, pacting with a caster spirit gets you bumped up to 6ths, but you can always just stick with the martial ones instead.)

These two are also unique in that they both have full CL despite being 4th-level casters - no Practiced Spellcaster or Magical Knack necessary.

Mike Miller
2017-10-24, 01:28 PM
How about the variant classes - such as Urban Adept, Urban Ranger, and numerous variants of Paladin?

Savage progressions are Base classes too? Then - Aranea, Drider, and Rakshasa.

Mlar (Dungeon #100), while able to cast 6th-level spells, have only Major Creation on 6th level of spell list (and get it only at 16th level)

I am going to exclude variants from the list, but I will note the savage progressions.