PDA

View Full Version : Smite While Raging?

Palanan
2017-10-23, 10:51 PM
Is there any way to smite as a paladin while raging as a barbarian?

I am aware there may be a quibble or two about alignment, but I’m open to suggestions. All official 3.5 and Pathfinder sources are on the table, with a preference for a simple solution if possible.

Nifft
2017-10-23, 11:13 PM
Are you allowed to use Paladin variants? A Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures) could also be a Barbarian.

I don't think Smite requires concentration, so I think you can Smite during a Rage.

ATHATH
2017-10-23, 11:27 PM
There was a Barbarian variant that got to smite things that weren't Chaotic Evil, IIRC.

Zanos
2017-10-23, 11:33 PM
There's nothing about rage and smite that are inherently incompatible, but Lawful barbarians lose rage and non-Lawful Paladins lose (almost) everything. You'd have to either be a non-Lawful paladin, or get rage from a source other than barbarian.

Nifft
2017-10-23, 11:44 PM
As long as I'm linking from UA today, have a source for being Lawful yet also getting Rage: the Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon).

Draconi Redfir
2017-10-23, 11:45 PM
the bloodrager is a hybrid class in pathfinder, no alignment restrictions, gets the rage class feature.

Psyren
2017-10-24, 12:33 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf gets both smite evil and rage, in case you were still in doubt.

SirNibbles
2017-10-24, 01:20 AM
The Raging Monk ACF from Dragon Magazine #310, page 45 trades Flurry for Rage (as a Barbarian), with no extra alignment restrictions. The Wild Defender Ranger variant from Dragon Magazine #324 gets Smite Evil at level 1, but limits you to neutral good, lawful neutral, neutral, or chaotic neutral.

ATHATH
2017-10-24, 01:22 AM
There was a Barbarian variant that got to smite things that weren't Chaotic Evil, IIRC.
I found the ACF; it's called Unholy Fury. It lets you smite (+CHA to attack roll and +Barbarian level to damage) a non-Chaotic Evil creature once per rage in exchange for giving up your Fast Movement ability and being locked into a Chaotic Evil alignment. It doesn't technically lock you into a Chaotic Evil alignment, as you can change your alignment at any time, but your Unholy Fury turns/reverts back into a normal Rage while you aren't Chaotic Evil (you can get it back by returning your alignment to Chaotic Evil, though, no Atonement spell required).