PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Drow and Vile powers: Other than demons?

Xuldarinar
2017-10-24, 10:26 AM
I thought i'd pose this for the purpose of discussion:

Suppose an individual, or a house, came to revere a being other than one of the standard demon lords. Socially what would happen, dependent upon the power?

There are demon lords not commonly listed, which I am sure would largely be fine though some demon lords have bones to pick with particular others, but then we have to address demigods of all other sorts which is the meat of this: Archdevils, asura ranas, daemon harbingers, infernal dukes, horsemen, kyton demagogues, malebranche, oni daimyo, qlippoth lords, rakshasa immortals, sahkil tormentors, whore queens, and we of course can't forget related demons or.. in the off chance that one might turn to the Thanatotic Titans or another such power of the lower planes.

What of these do you think would be deemed remotely acceptable? Which of these would more likely invoke the ire of others among their society? Are there any such that I missed that would too be worth discussion?

Further: In Starfinder's setting, do you think any of this would be different?

Psyren
2017-10-24, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure it would matter much. Even if you worshiped something more commonplace, your Drow neighbors would be just as prone to treachery and backstabbing. About the only place I could see this mattering is in FR, where Lolth would probably be enraged at the snub and your rivals would have even more excuses/opportunity to take you out than normal. In Eberron, Golarion etc. it wouldn't matter. (Not sure about Greyhawk.)

As for Starfinder - though Drow exist (along with most of the other Golarion races) I don't know that they're prevalent/numerous enough to still have the kind of intrigue-based society they're known for. Individual Drow would probably be sneaky, but very few people would actually care what anyone worships.

inuyasha
2017-10-24, 03:26 PM
Now that I think about it, I've always had a bit of an issue with the way Drow society works.

Despite being chaotic evil, Drow have a very political society. This combined with the fact that they're supposed to be an evil mirror of surface elves (chaotic good) makes me think that they should instead be Lawful Evil.

However, I like the demon-worshiping aspect, not on the level of agreeing with their ideals of madness and chaos, but more along the lines of making deals with any evil being that will increase their power, their knowledge, and their longevity while maintaining a lawful evil alignment because of their society alone.

This works especially well if you don't count Demon Lords as gods, but rather as powerful beings like Witch Patrons, or if you remove the alignment restriction on clerics.

EDIT: I just realized that in my rush to reply earlier, I didn't actually reach my point.

I see the evil beings that Drow worship as a unique thing by house (speaking from a setting-generic standpoint), and I think it could be any kind in theory, from a Demon to a Rakshasa or Kyton.