PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Thought Experiment: Dungeon for a high-level high-mythic party

Thealtruistorc
2017-10-24, 11:31 AM
Could it be done?

Suppose that I was running a game with 16th-level characters who were 8th-rank on the mythic scale. The power level would be obscenely high, obviously, but I'm wondering if it could be somehow focused into a specific mission. If the party wanted to explore a dungeon, what could I do to make said dungeon a satisfying challenge for them?

How hard should the encounters be? I'm guessing low-epic at the very least. What about obstacles? Is there anything that could challenge a party at this level of strength? I'm rather curious if this can be pulled off, and what you would do to pull it off if it could be.

Miko_Kira
2017-10-24, 02:26 PM
Anything can be achieved when you put your mind to it.

Figure out the groups visible weaknesses, see how capable they are in adapting. Don't be afraid to slap templates and mythic levels on your goons. Heck, you could even have the party face off against the Whispering Tyrant. He's a lvl 20 mythic lich. Give the party a way to weaken him, if they need it, and have at with a bunch of eldritch abominations. Zombies, werewolves, vampires, lovecraft horrors, etc... Maybe even revamp the Tomb of Horrors and make it a shared nightmare. You die in your dreams, you die for real.
Also look up the Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide. It has several tips on how to construct a decent dungeon quest, and read through the Mythic Adventures book too. There are plenty of sources, and I highly recommend using them and your own imagination.