PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Book 6 End / Book 7 Prediction

ThePhantasm
2017-10-24, 12:31 PM
Book 6 will obviously resolve the the Durkon / Hel subplot. However, I think the final scene of the book is likely to feature Team Evil reaching Serini's gate, while the Order is still in the Dwarven lands or at Firmament.

Now, this might seem counter-intuitive. We're used to this pattern: an important side-quest* book, and then a book which builds to a climactic fight over a gate, etc. So one would think that book 6 is a side-quest, and in keeping with this pattern book 7 would end with a fight over Serini's gate, with Xykon as the big bad. I think this is unlikely, however, for a few reasons:

a) MITD is unlikely to stall Team Evil for nearly two entire books
b) there are too many other things to resolve besides the Roy v. Xykon bowl

So my theory is that book 7 actually begins with the fight over Serini's gate, which quickly goes sideways when the Snarl gets involved, and then the remainder of book 7 is probably spent on the rift-world. Obviously we know little about the Snarl and rift-world still so it is unclear what that plot will look like.

I feel that Belkar's character arc will be brought to a conclusion with book 6, leading to his death at the beginning of book 7 via Snarl (as Kraagor's parallel in the OOTS).

We've still also got the IFCC plot to deal with and Tarquin's fate to resolve, not to mention Serini's fate (I think she's probably dead though?)

The big question mark for me is MITD's identity. I can't imagine with all this other stuff going on that it will be in any way consequential to the plot. (I'm also taking it for granted here that he's in no way related to the Snarl). But it is also weird to think that after 7 books of build-up the dramatic reveal will probably not be all that dramatic, but just a "oh, huh, that's interesting... guess that theory was confirmed" moment. Part of me thinks the longer the wait, the more dramatic the reveal should be. Maybe I'm underestimating MITD's significance in the story however.

This all might be obvious to everyone but me. I think I've been subconsciously assuming that book 7 would climax with the battle for Serini's gate, but it now seems obvious to me that won't happen.

* by side-quest I don't mean to trivialize the plot arc, only to designate it as not directly related to the purpose of finding and securing a gate

unbeliever536
2017-10-24, 02:10 PM
Tarquin is epilogue material at best. That was the entire point of #936 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0936.html). I'd also be surprised to see an entire book happen after Belkar's death. I think we'll have at least half a book of him after the conclusion of his arc in this book (which I don't think will be his entire character arc - he's been notably lacking in self awareness even as he has developed a conscience).

I really don't think we'll see Team Evil hit the gate this early; there's enough going on outside the dungeon that I think we'll get at least a chapter or so into the next book before we hit the Order's final dungeon delve. I'd expect book 7 to be divided into two halves: one focusing on the battle at Kraagor's Tomb and its environs, and one focusing on the history of the Order of the Scribble and the nature of the Snarl (as well as the motivations of factions like the Directors). I don't know which order those halves will be in, but I'm currently leaning towards "battle last" both because the book itself will need to have a climax and because the final battle with Xykon has been set up as the end of the story.

hroşila
2017-10-24, 04:20 PM
I think Book 6 may well end with Xykon and Redcloak starting the ritual.

Potatomade
2017-10-24, 06:40 PM
Part of me hopes what the OP said turns out to be correct, and the other part of me hopes it's basically Dungeon Crawlin' Fools Redux.

D.One
2017-10-25, 05:25 AM
We've still also got the IFCC plot to deal with and Tarquin's fate to resolve, not to mention Serini's fate (I think she's probably dead though?)

I really don't think Tarquin's fate will be addressed. I mean, maybe referenced, but not really addressed in depth. As Elan said, he's not the great vilain. He's just a side quest antagonist, and being that is his ultimate defeat.

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-10-25, 08:00 AM
I just hope Book 6’s ending comes as much of a surprise as Book 5.

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-25, 08:41 AM
He's just a side quest antagonist, and being that is his ultimate defeat. The hardest words for Tarquin to hear is "it's not all about you." And Elan basically got to say that to him. Nice touch, I thought, in how Rich wrapped up the BRitF quest.

Nitpick: it wasn't a side question. Elan stumbled over the main plot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html).

littlebum2002
2017-10-25, 09:13 AM
So question: At what part in which book do you think they will go to Xykon's lair? Or do you think it won't happen? It seems to me that showing it was a preview of a fight there in the future, but that's not necessarily the case.

Fyraltari
2017-10-25, 10:12 AM
So question: At what part in which book do you think they will go to Xykon's lair? Or do you think it won't happen? It seems to me that showing it was a preview of a fight there in the future, but that's not necessarily the case.
I don't think they ever will. Thelair is puposefully designed to be nigh-impossible to survive and most importantly, there is nothing of value there. Since Xykon and Redcloak both have a vested interest in keeping the location of the phylactery (however fake) a secret I fail to see why they would tell the Order about the lair.

From a meta perspective the lair existed so that Xykon could be away duringthe phylactery switch and possibly to avoid confusion on the Order's part when the time comes to actually end the lich.

littlebum2002
2017-10-25, 10:25 AM
I don't think they ever will. Thelair is puposefully designed to be nigh-impossible to survive and most importantly, there is nothing of value there. Since Xykon and Redcloak both have a vested interest in keeping the location of the phylactery (however fake) a secret I fail to see why they would tell the Order about the lair.

From a meta perspective the lair existed so that Xykon could be away duringthe phylactery switch and possibly to avoid confusion on the Order's part when the time comes to actually end the lich.

I like this prediction more than mine, I'm stealing it!

Turin_19
2017-10-25, 10:45 AM
Truth is, I really think that Redcloak and Xykon might fight each other before the end. They already have grievances against each other... Xykon suspects of Redcloak (and had Tsukiko investigate the ritual - the fact Tsukiko gloated about it in Redcloak's face was probably something unexpected to Xykon).

Besides, we still need to understand the IFCC's interest in the gates. Actually, there are nine sides, isn't it?

I was wondering earlier today about the other gates. Dorukan's, Rich said that he wanted the idea of the bad guys having them and the good guys fighting for it. Soon's, he said he wanted to make that the opposite: the good guys had it, and the bad guys would fight for it. The third one (fourth in total) would be a race, with the good guys having a lead.

The fifth one, it also looks like a race, and the bad guys have a lead. I think that they will get there, and once they reach the gate, it's Xykon who starts stalling, because Redcloak might have a lead on him that he does not understand. And that's when the confrontation between them takes place. I also think Redcloak will already have that figured out... and I also think he will smoke Xykon. Although not easily or without anything happening to him, because...

Because Xykon put a spell in the MiTD in Start of Darkness. I don't remember the wording right, but I think it should eat or attack Redcloak in case it betrayed Xykon

I also would not bet on Belkar dying so fast, because he
still has to save Hinjo's life again, and for that, they need to be reunited somehow (inside my limited imagination, that must happen... maybe he can save it someway else, but I doubt it)

So, in my opinion, Belkar would still live for a while, into Book 7 (maybe it will be called "The Deathly Halflings"? - ok, this was a really bad joke). They would get to Serini's gate in time just as the ritual is completed and the Dark One starts blackmailing the others Gods.

Too much, too little.

Yendor
2017-10-25, 11:06 AM

The lair, as I see it, serves three story purposes:
1) Constructing it keeps Xykon out of the city, leaving Redcloak free to machinate;
2) It answers the question of where Xykon is going to keep his phylactery, since he obviously wasn't going to keep trusting Redcloak with it;
3) The side trip to stash the fauxlactery delays Team Evil long enough for Niu's warning to reach the Order, which leads Roy to destroy the Gate before they show up.

Tarquin will be defeated by Amon-Zora and pals. After going to so much trouble to avoid making himself a target, it will be poetic justice for him to fall to enemies he hasn't even considered threats.

Fyraltari
2017-10-25, 11:22 AM
I like this prediction more than mine, I'm stealing it!
Thanks but I amnot sure what prediction you are talking about.

The lair, as I see it, serves three story purposes:
1) Constructing it keeps Xykon out of the city, leaving Redcloak free to machinate;
2) It answers the question of where Xykon is going to keep his phylactery, since he obviously wasn't going to keep trusting Redcloak with it;
3) The side trip to stash the fauxlactery delays Team Evil long enough for Niu's warning to reach the Order, which leads Roy to destroy the Gate before they show up.

Tarquin will be defeated by Amon-Zora and pals. After going to so much trouble to avoid making himself a target, it will be poetic justice for him to fall to enemies he hasn't even considered threats.

Exactly this. I expect an epilogue where Haley and Ian reunites (possibly for a wedding) and he quickly explains how they beat the Vector Legion matter-of-factly.

D.One
2017-10-25, 01:36 PM
I know this question comes and goes, but how many of the "9 sides" we have supposedly identified till now?

Xykon
Goblinoids
OotS & Saphire Guard
Hel & Durkon* (and possibly the other gods backing the "erase the world" solution)
Gods backing the "don't erase the world" solution
Vector Legion
Snarl

Fyraltari
2017-10-25, 02:31 PM
Inter-Fiends Cooperation Commission.

LadyEowyn
2017-10-25, 04:55 PM
Also, Linear Guild. They're no longer in play after the death of Nale, Zz'drtri, and probably Thog, but at the time the "nine sides" comment was made they were still part of the conflict over the gates. The IFCC were using them as pawns, but they (aside from Sabine) didn't know that, and Sabine's loyalites were first and foremost to Nale.