PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making Vertigo (god and beast) from Primal Rage.

Zakerst
2017-10-24, 02:34 PM
So I've found myself in an odd situation where having Vertigo as an in universe entity would be both helpful and fun. Problem being I don't have a whole lot of experience making gods and I'm well aware of how weak they tend to be in 3.5. I'll share my ideas so far but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Info on the creature in question: http://primalrage.wikia.com/wiki/Vertigo

What I've got so far:
Portfolio: madness, moon, magic, fate?
Physical traits: large-huge, lots of physical power, befitting a creature her size. Bite and tail attacks, stinger, spitting venom (seems to do both damage and poision, requiring only contact). Swallow whole (medium and smaller). Inhuman intellect/mind set, probably large charisma as well. Likely scent.
Innate abilities: spell casting (as sorcerer), hypnosis/daze/stun ability usable in combat, teleportation (limited range but useful in combat), immortality (doesn't age, immune to illness/natural causes).

Am I on the right track? Anything that sticks out to you or alternate suggestions? And how woild I go about adapting her to being not a god?

JustIgnoreMe
2017-10-24, 06:46 PM
Dragon Magazine 223 has stats for Vertigo as a demi-god in 2nd ed AD&D terms. It's a short article about Primal Rage, there are two other characters (Blizzard and Talon) statted.

Zakerst
2017-10-25, 12:38 AM
That sounds really helpful actually (though I haven't done much converting between editions it should be possible or at least serve as a base). Now to get and did it up.

ShurikVch
2017-10-26, 01:03 PM
For Venom Spit - Spit Venom feat (Serpent Kingdoms)*
For Come Slither - Tail Constrict feat (Draconomicon)**
For Scorpion Sting - Sting Tail fiendish graft (Fiend Folio)
__________________________________________________ ___
*Required poisonous bite; you may get it from Monster of Legend, Poisonous Creature, or Ti-Khana templates; or Poison Fangs graft
** Required Dragon type

How big she should be?
Dragon #289 have Kaiju template, which give Colossal size and +40 HD
If it's too big - you may combine it with Dungeonbred Monster
If Gargantuan is still too big - replace it with (Titanic Creature + Dungeonbred Monster) templates for Huge size and HD set to 25

Since Vertigo is a deity, you may use Epic Destiny (Demigod) from Dragon #363

For spellcasting, I suggesting Forestmaster template from Bestiary Of Krynn, Revised - it's allow you to cast as a Druid (level = HD). I know Vertigo's description says "Sorcery", but actual Sorcerer list may be a bit too much (and actual class levels on top of monster - kinda excessive)

Another possible template is Half-Fraal (Menace Manual) - because of Lesser Mindlink and Suggestion at-will

Also, Vertigo have cobra hood for some reason.
We may try to get it from Cobra Head, Serpent Bloodline, or Spell Graft (Cobra's Hood) feats; or try to homebrew Half-Dragon (Rattelyr) - since it's have cobra-like hood lacking wings

http://www.worldofazolin.com/wiki/images/thumb/8/85/Landwyrm1.jpg/180px-Landwyrm1.jpg

Thurbane
2017-10-26, 02:46 PM
That sounds really helpful actually (though I haven't done much converting between editions it should be possible or at least serve as a base). Now to get and did it up.

NOt entirely sure how helpful it would be in this case, but the official 2E to 3E conversion docs can be found here (http://www.adnd3egame.com/documents/conversionbook.pdf).

Psyren
2017-10-27, 12:04 PM
I don't think she's actually a deity, in the D&D sense that is. She's worshiped as one by a portion of the primitive society that humanity has regressed to, and she does have magic powers, but she's no more divine than the rest of them IIRC.