PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Path

russdm
2017-10-25, 03:17 AM
Was writing up an adventure path, first module of, and was wondering if or how much concern should be made in using history? Should I get the backstory for it approved first, before writing the rest of module and the other modules? Or would just writing out the module, then submitting up at a place work? I don't want to cause legal trouble or get into real legal trouble that I have could have avoided.

Adventure Path uses Forgotten Realms history from some books, games, edition changes. Does need checking? Yes, No? More than willing to take time to do.

Boci
2017-10-25, 03:41 AM
This falls under legal advise, which we are not allowed to give (since people can often exaggerate/make up credentials on the internet). Your best bet would be to ask a lawyer, but if you don't want to do that, maybe email a company that has made adventure modules set in forgotten realm and hope for a reply?

Dragovon
2017-10-25, 01:06 PM
Obviously I can't advise with legal issues, but as a practical matter, if I were to write an adventure path...for whatever game system, first off I would want to make sure said game has an open gaming license, so that I could legally self publish. Second, while there's nothing wrong with my writing something for personal use, if I wanted to sell it, I would either need to have permission given if it uses someone else's IPs...and I would expect selling unsolicited work is unlikely to happen...so I would write something that used no IP that wasn't mine. Then if I couldn't sell it to a publisher, I could attempt to self publish. :) Also, I would, prior to publishing, have a chat with a lawyer about IPs....because if I created something that didn't use anyone else's IP, then effectively what I created would have IP which I would want to protect.

russdm
2017-10-25, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the opinions. Helps me with ideas for what to do next.