PDA

View Full Version : Vaulting (or, Track and field, D&D style)

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-16, 03:11 PM
So, I was reading through the jump rules and had just realized that an 18th level monk could, with some work, perform a jump some 40 ft high and some 150 ft long. Since this about doubles the height of the best pole vaulters, it got me to thinking:

how would pole vaulting work, mechanically? I mean, there are plenty of occasions for PC's to want to jump a wall, and, pole vaulting being at least as ancient as the Greeks, it's not impossible for them to try using a length of bamboo (or whatever's on hand) to do it. I'd like to hear from someone with RL experience in the matter, if possible. Since the jumping rules aren't terribly realistic (which I can say, as a former high jumper), I imagine likewise stretch-of-the-imagination vaulting.

And, yes, I realize most parties can just fly over/through obstructions, but humor me. Please.

kpenguin
2007-08-16, 04:06 PM
I think there's a feat called Vault somewhere.

Yeril
2007-08-16, 04:19 PM
So, I was reading through the jump rules and had just realized that an 18th level monk could, with some work, perform a jump some 40 ft high and some 150 ft long. Since this about doubles the height of the best pole vaulters, it got me to thinking:

I'd assume somthing like half the DC for hieght and quater the DC for length.

Improvised pole (10ft pole, long spear, ect. +0 circumstance bonus to hieght)
Pole vault (+5 circumstance bonus to hieght)
Masterwork pole vault (+10 circumstance bonus to hieght)

That way a average human pole vaulting with a masterwork tool, when taking 10 would be able to get about 10ft verticly, 15 if he rolled a natural 20. of course its much harder to get the distance when pole vaulting.

And a trained human (level 4 expert), with say 16 strength, max ranks in jump and tumble, and athletic feat thats say a +14 bonus, add in masterwork thats +24 and on a roll of a nice natural 20 thats 44, a vertical distance of 22 feet, only going forward about 5-6 feet.

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-16, 04:27 PM
I'd assume somthing like half the DC for hieght (with a +10 bonus) and double the DC for length.

That way a average human pole vaulting, when taking 10 would be able to get about 10ft verticly, 15 if he rolled a natural 20. of course its much harder to get the distance when pole vaulting.

Hold up. Only a handful of vaulters ever have made 6 meters (19 and a halfish feet). Rolling 20 with a +20 bonus (your plus ten, a high ability mod, and maybe six ranks)= DC 40 for height 20 ft? That sounds a little too easy. Third level characters shouldn't be setting Olympic records.

Fixer
2007-08-16, 04:36 PM
Hold up. Only a handful of vaulters ever have made 6 meters (19 and a halfish feet). Rolling 20 with a +20 bonus (your plus ten, a high ability mod, and maybe six ranks)= DC 40 for height 20 ft? That sounds a little too easy. Third level characters shouldn't be setting Olympic records.
Probably has more to do with the standardized size and makeup of the pole than actual ability.

A regular wooden pole would only be useful up to a height equal to how high the character can normally jump anyway. Perhaps adding up to 3 feet to the height of the pole for the additional height reached.

So:
Using a pole: Pole + 3 feet (if the character makes a jump check versus the actual height of the pole, otherwise he goes up.... and comes back down not having reached full height, taking ½ falling damage if necessary).

Kyace
2007-08-16, 04:43 PM
Snippet from the vault feat from the Dungeon Compendium:

When wielding a pole arm two-handed, the DC for a long jump is reduced by -5. In addition, the DC for a high jump is equal to three times the distance to be cleared.

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-16, 04:45 PM
Probably has more to do with the standardized size and makeup of the pole than actual ability.

A regular wooden pole would only be useful up to a height equal to how high the character can normally jump anyway. Perhaps adding up to 3 feet to the height of the pole for the additional height reached.

So:
Using a pole: Pole + 3 feet (if the character makes a jump check versus the actual height of the pole, otherwise he goes up.... and comes back down not having reached full height, taking ½ falling damage if necessary).

Well, I don't think most pole vaulters use regular, mostly inflexible wooden poles. Before fiberglass/carbon fiber, steel or bamboo was probably the way to go.

MrNexx
2007-08-16, 05:15 PM
http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/10003.html

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-16, 05:50 PM
Hmm. Well, while both MrNexx and the Dungeon Compendium have decent (though conflicting) rules, I can't really agree that the average polearm is fit for vaulting.

Thanks, though.