PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Finish this build - Sorcerer 6/Ruathar 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Fatespinner 4/??

Cheech
2017-10-25, 07:11 AM
I'm retiring my (moderately optimised) melee character in a long running campaign, partially because he had a tendency to overshadow other members of my fairly low optimisation party. So I'm building a new character, and I've chosen a sorcerer, focused on support - buffs and utility, with a bit of debuffing and battlefield control, steering clear entirely of damage, save-or-lose and summons.

I'm starting him at level 15, as a sorcerer 6/ruathat 3/abjurant champion 5/fatespinner 1, and am happy taking the next 3 levels of fatespinner, but don't really have any idea what to take for the last 2 levels of my build.

As noted, it's for a low optimisation group, so it doesn't need to provide a lot of power, as long as it advances sorcerer casting, and the entry requirements aren't too taxing. Taking 2 more levels or sorcerer would be fine, really - just not very inspiring.

Any suggestions?

Darrin
2017-10-25, 08:10 AM
Paragnostic Apostle (Complete Champion) is a good fallback if you can't find anything that grabs you. Easy to get into, and has a short menu of class features to pick from.

Fiend-Blooded (Heroes of Horror) could be useful for grabbing an enchantment, illusion, or necromancy spell off of another class's spell list, if you don't mind rejiggering your feats.

Loremaster (DMG) might be good for a bonus feat.

Nifft
2017-10-25, 08:26 AM
5 levels of Abjurant Champion sounds like a Gish to me, and two good levels for a Gish are Dragonslayer 1 / Spellsword 1. Both are full BAB; the former gets you immunity to fear and proficiency with all armor & martial weapons; the latter gets you -10% arcane spell failure.

If you were to remove Fatespinner 4, you'd have 6 levels to spare. That allows you to fit in more good stuff:

Escalation Mage 6 (Magic of Eberron) - you need to worship The Shadow, who is chaotic evil; you get some free metamagic effects applied to spells, including Quicken.

Shadowcraft Mage 5 - are you a Gnome?

Legacy Champion 6 - advance Abjurant Champion features by 5 more levels.

Eldariel
2017-10-25, 09:54 AM
If you have the feats, Archmage is always a solid option particularly with a Sorcerer's plethora of spell slots. Arcane Reach and Mastery of Shaping are particularly useful but Spell Power and Spell-Like Ability are eminently worthwhile, and even Mastery of Elements/Mastery of Counterspelling have their uses. Only Arcane Fire blows.

Other than that, War Weaver [Heroes of Battle] is a godlike buffer class so if that's what you're going for, knock yourself out. Halruaan Elder [Shining South] and Hathran [Player's Guide to Faerun] present some of the more powerful options alongside Incantatrix [Player's Guide to Faerun].

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-25, 10:38 AM
I am going to suggest spellguard of the silvery moon to allow you to hand out personal range buffs. You need to get 4th level to do that though.

Cheech
2017-10-27, 06:51 AM
5 levels of Abjurant Champion sounds like a Gish to me, and two good levels for a Gish are Dragonslayer 1 / Spellsword 1. Both are full BAB; the former gets you immunity to fear and proficiency with all armor & martial weapons; the latter gets you -10% arcane spell failure.

If you were to remove Fatespinner 4, you'd have 6 levels to spare. That allows you to fit in more good stuff:

Escalation Mage 6 (Magic of Eberron) - you need to worship The Shadow, who is chaotic evil; you get some free metamagic effects applied to spells, including Quicken.

Shadowcraft Mage 5 - are you a Gnome?

Legacy Champion 6 - advance Abjurant Champion features by 5 more levels.

He's not a gish, though I can see why you would think so. Abjurant Champion is taken mainly for the defensive boosts and easy entry requirements.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've already worked Ruathar, Abjurant Champion and Fatespinner into the backstory of my character, so I want to keep them, but I can stop them earlier (say Abjurant Champion 3, Fatespinner 2) if I want to free up levels for something else.

I like the look of Escalation Mage and Paragnostic Apostle, so I'll discuss the possibility of including them with my GM