PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for feedback - goblin monk gumshoe

DaFlipp
2017-10-25, 11:33 AM
Hello all, long time lurker, first-ish time poster (I think I've commented on stuff a handful of times over the years but I've never been a regular). I've seen a lot of great character concepts floated/worked on here over the years, and thought I could use some feedback on a character concept that's been in my brain lately.

The general idea: a goblin private eye in the classic noir style. The trouble is, I really want him to be a monk (the mental image of an unarmed goblin bringing down an orc thug or the like is simply too cool to ignore), but if I go straight monk, he probably will be sorely lacking in the kind of skills a good private eye needs.

Here are my options, as I see them:

1.) Go pure monk, find/create a custom Background that teaches Investigation as a skill (as far as I can see, none of the ones in the PHB allow it), and just accept that he'll probably not be as skilled as I'd like.

2.) Go Rogue 1, Monk ? (fortunately as a goblin he doesn't really need to consider getting Cunning Action at Rogue 2), with the first level in Rogue so he can get access to extra skills, two with Expertise (one of which will definitely be Investigation). Try to talk my DM into counting monk weapons (or at least unarmed strikes) as "Finesse" for the purposes of Sneak Attack (since I'd prefer not to have him rely heavily on using a shortsword).

3.) Go Revised UA Ranger 1, Monk ?, again with the first level in Ranger so he can get at least a few more skills, including Investigation. Also gets Favored Enemy (probably humanoid, given the urban nature of his training) and Natural Explorer (handy for tracking down perps). Probably the most powerful option, but I'm not sure I like it, since Rangers are flavored to be outdoorsmen, not city slickers.

Also, some factors to keep in mind:

*While I was initially thinking Way of the Shadow for his monk specialization, I'm currently leaning toward Open Hand, simply because our group tends not to make a lot of use of darkness/dim lighting as a factor in dungeon exploration.
*Our group rolls stats instead of using standard array or point buy, so no need to get too far into the mathematical weeds.
*It's going to probably be awhile before our group starts its next campaign anyway, so there are no hard rules yet about level range. In general, our group usually starts out pretty low, but I honestly have no idea where we'll start or how many levels we'll work through yet.

Any thoughts? Useful one-level-dip features that fit the concept but I might have overlooked? Extra backgrounds from other books that I might not be aware of? Feats that could be handy? (Though given how essential it is for Monks to max their Dex and Wisdom ASAP to stay viable against folks touting magical armor/weapons, I may not be able to use as many feats as I do on other PCs.)

Thanks in advance!

xroads
2017-10-25, 01:11 PM
A kung fu goblin sounds like a fun idea!

1.) Go pure monk, find/create a custom Background that teaches Investigation as a skill (as far as I can see, none of the ones in the PHB allow it), and just accept that he'll probably not be as skilled as I'd like.

Do you have access to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide? It has a background called "City Watch." You'll probably want to take a look at the variant version of the background which is an investigator. If memory serves, it has investigation and insight as skills.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-25, 01:20 PM
Okay, this is a weird idea, but...Maybe he's really good at interrogating people and finding clues, but relies on a book-smart gumshoe partner to put them together? It's a bit un-noir, but you do have a party. And unless you can get them on board with the concept, you're unlikely to really shine as the party sets everything on fire for a faster plan. So why not have one of them take the book-smart skills and you focus on the street-smart?

So basically make a noir buddy-cop film character.

lunaticfringe
2017-10-25, 02:18 PM
He could be part of a small religious sect who follow a minor God of Justice. Allowing you fluff leeway for a bit of Knowledge Cleric MC. It also helps explain some of the more Supernatural Monk features.

Crgaston
2017-10-25, 03:45 PM
I’ll second the City Watch background and 1 level knowledge cleric dip. Rogue would also be a great dip for 1-2 levels. Also, the Feats for Skills UA has a feat that gives +1 INT, expertise in investigation, and the ability to take the Search action as a bonus action.

DaFlipp
2017-10-25, 04:31 PM
I do not own the SCAG, and was not aware of the City Watch "investigator" variant! It's not a perfect fit fluff wise (since he's a private eye, not a watch inspector), but mechanically it looks like a decent fit. Thanks!

I'd actually considered going full Knowledge cleric at first, before I got enamored of the character as a monk, but I don't think I'll do the level dip for it. I may try to convince someone else to go that route as a partner/informant.

Quoxis
2017-10-26, 08:31 AM
I do not own the SCAG, and was not aware of the City Watch "investigator" variant! It's not a perfect fit fluff wise (since he's a private eye, not a watch inspector), but mechanically it looks like a decent fit. Thanks!

I'd actually considered going full Knowledge cleric at first, before I got enamored of the character as a monk, but I don't think I'll do the level dip for it. I may try to convince someone else to go that route as a partner/informant.

I know you don't want cleric, but the upsides are:

- spells. Seriously: you get at-will +1d4 to skill checks with the guidance cantrip, you get healing and bless to be more effective as a team player, and depending on your Wis score you can get some utility spells too
- expertise in two knowledge skills (nature, history, arcana, religion) which can equal out the fact that you'll probably not prioritize Int as you need decent Dex, Wis and Con. With another dip into rogue, you get access to four expertises with two levels.
- with another cleric level, you can get any tool proficiency 1x/day (typical sherlock holmes knows how to use anything, at least in theory)

Other than that i'd take rogue, because expertise is sweet (even without sneak attack... 1d6 won't make a big difference) and you get thieves' cant - need i say more?