PDA

View Full Version : I want to go to al i need help choosing one of these 3

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-25, 02:49 PM
So i wana go to al tonight but i need a character and i have three ideas.
Which would be ok
Aasimar the defender variant as a life cleric
Aasimar scourge berserker barb
And aasimar fallen paladin vengence.

Specter
2017-10-25, 03:43 PM
Without more info, all I can say is go with the Cleric because it's the most versatile of them, and that way you can adapt to the party.

jaappleton
2017-10-25, 03:45 PM
Scourge Berserker Barbarian doesn't work because AL has a strict PHB+1 Rule, and Berserker is from SCAG while Scourge is from Volo's.

I'm dumb.

Specter
2017-10-25, 03:49 PM
Scourge Berserker Barbarian doesn't work because AL has a strict PHB+1 Rule, and Berserker is from SCAG while Scourge is from Volo's.

Doesn't he mean the Berserker from the PHB, Frenzy and all?

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-25, 04:16 PM
Doesn't he mean the Berserker from the PHB, Frenzy and all?

Yes i mean that thanks as a she but hey

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-25, 04:27 PM

Also jappleton the scag barbarian archetyoe you sre thinking of is battle rager or in dwarfish axe stupid

jaappleton
2017-10-25, 04:36 PM
Also jappleton the scag barbarian archetyoe you sre thinking of is battle rager or in dwarfish axe stupid

You'd be correct. My bad. I'll edit the previous post.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-25, 04:37 PM
The point is i wana rain down painful vengence or holy fire.i just wana hurt something i had a bad day.stupid drivers test stupid 40 hour work week stupid never getting time to practice.

Lombra
2017-10-25, 04:41 PM
The point is i wana rain down painful vengence or holy fire.i just wana hurt something i had a bad day.stupid drivers test stupid 40 hour work week stupid never getting time to practice.

Sounds like you could have fun mindlessly frenzying around with a berserker.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-10-25, 04:47 PM
I'm a paladin for lifeadin, but I think barbarians are more fun to play. They don't get a ton of options, but after you've accepted that you find that they can be shockingly versatile simply through the application of what they do get.

Combat? Rage.
Climbing? Rage.
Swimming? Rage.
Mercantile? Rage.
Courtly intrigue? Rage.
Horseback riding? Animal handling.

Then rage.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-25, 04:48 PM
I'm a paladin for lifeadin, but I think barbarians are more fun to play. They don't get a ton of options, but after you've accepted that you find that they can be shockingly versatile simply through the application of what they do get.

Combat? Rage.
Climbing? Rage.
Swimming? Rage.
Mercantile? Rage.
Courtly intrigue? Rage.
Horseback riding? Animal handling.

Then rage.
So im narrowed down fallen aasimar paladin or aasimar scourge berserker barbarian

Easy_Lee
2017-10-25, 04:56 PM
Paladin fits better with Aasimar racials IIRC. That said, I always pick my character after I know what some of the others are playing.

lunaticfringe
2017-10-25, 05:06 PM
Zerker cause I vote against type. Aasimar Clerics & Paladins are a dime a dozen. Plus I think there is comedy gold lurking if you use the Jiminy Cricket Spirit Guide fluff.

"You must be an example to your fellow mortals so...Oh Gods! What are you doing to that poor..." *wretching noises*

Moredhel24
2017-10-26, 05:28 PM

"You must be an example to your fellow mortals so...Oh Gods! What are you doing to that poor..." *wretching noises*

Lol. based on the time you've had, i'd aslo say zerker scourge. I could see your angelic guide as fierce and vengeful, fueling your rage. Or the angel (your guide) on one shoulder and the devil (your rage) on the other.

Also RAW you can activate Rage (bonus action) and Radiant Consumption (action) on the same turn and they've the same duration.

Just got image in my head of creatures running from you as you're going super saiyan and transforming into a murderous, rampaging being of light that's frothing at the mouth.

Chugger
2017-10-26, 05:37 PM
In AL you can change your char - everything except the name - up til you hit lvl 5. So don't even worry about it.

I would not play a wiz or sorc at lvl 1 because you only have 2 slots and will spend most fights just staying back doing cantrip damage. That can get boring.

Most AL groups need healers and utility casters (as you level up). Bards heal well and get silence and other really useful spells. Clerics of course get really useful spells. So do druids. Well, and many wiz spells are useful, but most AL wiz's are blasters, sadly.

I'd start as a barb or a Pal - to get your anger out. But the kind of barb you picked gets exhaustion, which is a horrible condition - it only comes off one layer at a time per long rest - you can't access the other things that remove it. I'd go bear or wolf but at lvl one you can't even pick that anyway. A lvl 1 barb should have minimum 15 hp (12 + 3 from sta). If you're stuck at 14 Con then 14 hp. That's still not bad.

Chugger
2017-10-26, 05:42 PM
Paladin fits better with Aasimar racials IIRC. That said, I always pick my character after I know what some of the others are playing.

I think what Easy_Lee is saying here is - well, from my AL experience a lot of groups are not well balanced - can be caster-heavy one night - rogue heavy another night - tank-heavy another night.

The more experienced players show up with 2 to 3 chars per tier and ask what everyone else is running. No one is playing a caster, so they pull out their wiz or sorc. If no one is playing a utility char or healer they pull out their bard or cleric. And so on.

In AL some encounters can be far far tougher than they should be because no one had a dispel magic spell - or no one had silence - or no one had any form of area control spell. Not even a fog cloud. Everyone was set up to kill kill kill but no one to handle the subtle stuff.

So if you wanna go into AL and kill ... and take out frustrations ... watch out because some modules are very very slow with only one actual fight at the end, and lots n lots of role playing leading up to it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-26, 06:16 PM
In AL you can change your char - everything except the name - up til you hit lvl 5. So don't even worry about it.

I would not play a wiz or sorc at lvl 1 because you only have 2 slots and will spend most fights just staying back doing cantrip damage. That can get boring.

Most AL groups need healers and utility casters (as you level up). Bards heal well and get silence and other really useful spells. Clerics of course get really useful spells. So do druids. Well, and many wiz spells are useful, but most AL wiz's are blasters, sadly.

I'd start as a barb or a Pal - to get your anger out. But the kind of barb you picked gets exhaustion, which is a horrible condition - it only comes off one layer at a time per long rest - you can't access the other things that remove it. I'd go bear or wolf but at lvl one you can't even pick that anyway. A lvl 1 barb should have minimum 15 hp (12 + 3 from sta). If you're stuck at 14 Con then 14 hp. That's still not bad.

I want him to die and get exhausted.just let me smaaaaash

Finieous
2017-10-27, 08:24 AM
But the kind of barb you picked gets exhaustion, which is a horrible condition - it only comes off one layer at a time per long rest - you can't access the other things that remove it.

It sounds like you have more AL experience than me -- I've only played up to level 9 at cons with my buddies. Having said that, one of them is a berserker and it works great. There seems to be only one big fight in a four-hour AL slot (presumably this is also true of a two-hour encounters slot). It's always obvious which fight is the big fight. And you reset before every AL event (in practice...maybe this is different in weekly play at a store, where someone keeps track of every PC's condition from week to week).

If my experience is typical of AL, there's no downside to berserker. With it's glaring weakness eliminated, Frenzy at least gains parity with the totem 3rd-level abilities and the higher-level path abilities are generally stronger.

Joe the Rat
2017-10-27, 08:44 AM
Save Frenzy for the Boss Fight, everything else can use Regular Strength Rage.

Moredhel24 - thank you for that rage/radiant consumption image. I now have a great NPC idea for a potential fighting tournament session.

Moredhel24
2017-10-27, 09:51 AM
Your welcome Joe. Now to find a way to combine w/ Sun Soul monk and at will flight.:smallbiggrin:

The Shadowdove
2017-10-27, 01:12 PM
Fallen paladin. It's such a solid combo, in regards to both roleplay and build. There are a lot of ways you can tweak the backstory to go with both.

Any paladin oath fits with it, depending on how you choose to rp it, but fallen and vengeance are a sweet bit of meant for each other.

Think of how you intend on fitting your alignment into that package, as well as which AL faction suits your character. It gives you a lot to work with.

LN or CG fits well into how I favor seeing it, but it's one of the cases where LE might flow well in an AL setting.