PDA

View Full Version : Game Idea: Need help.

TheShadowSage
2007-08-16, 04:42 PM
Sorry if this isn't the place to put this, tell me where I should have put it if it's the wrong place.

So, basically I have what I think is a cool idea for settings for a religion based game, but no idea on how to start and the story could use a little tweaking.

Seven of Fates:

In a Monotheistic setting, the seven apostles have shown themselves, but the seven demons of sin have heard of this power and want it for themselves. their goal: Absorb the energies of all the apostles. They form an agreement, each one will have the energy of one apostle, and then they could merge into one sentient being with enough power to rival that of god himself. But what will happen to their agreement when another demon interrupts their plans?

Meanwhile, the Heroes of fate are chosen by a messenger of God. Will they be able to stop the demons from accomplishing their goal?

That's my idea. I need ideas on how to start four or so adventurers, possibily with a quest seemingly unrelated, but through it the unwittingly prove themselves worthy to God.

I dunno. I've never DMed a serious game before. Most of my games last two or three hours. :smallannoyed:

So... yeah, any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Dementrius
2007-08-16, 09:03 PM
Base the first adventure after one of the seven virtues (charity, chastity, generosity, humility, patience, temperance, and zeal - From Dragon #355), with the tempations of the opposing sin.

For example:

Start all of the PCs on a wagon train from one city to another, with a number of days (say 10) travel between them. Make the players come up with a reason to be on the caravan. Leave the first few days relatively mundane so that the PCs can interact with each other and get to know the members of the caravan (Caravan Master, other guards, some of the merchants).

Days 3-4 have a random encounter that lets the PCs help protect the caravan and start to bond as a team.

Day 5-6 have a incident happen within the caravan (one of the merchants is hiding something, two of the guards begin fighting one another, the beggars attached to the caravan begin starving due to lack of food)

Day 7ish have the caravan become stalled (bogged wheels, late start due to heavy drinking the night before, harsh weather), and need to find an alternate location to camp for the night - PCs are sent out as one of many groups of scouts to find a farmstead/grove of trees/nice cave complex.

Within the farmstead/grove of tree/cave complex is the plot hook (innocent family attacked by deranged worshippers of a sin-demon/shrine to virtue about to be attacked/hidden store of stolen wealth guarded by bandits)

Structure the adventure to tick off one or more of the virtues:

- Zeal: PCs find the tracks of the demon-worshippers and hunt them down before they can prey on the next farmstead in line.
- Patience: PCs have to stay at the virtue shrine for a number of days to defend it, thus missing out on something in the destination city. Make it look like the attack will never come.
- Charity / Generousity: The PCs recover the wealth from the bandits and distribute it to the beggars following the caravan.

Problem: If the PCs are not good-aligned, thay are likely just to stay with the caravan and pocket the money for themselves. Hardly the stuff of "Heroes of Fate"

If you think about it, you could probably pack all seven virtues into the trip (several gaming sessions) and have them ordained as the "Heroes of Fate" once they arrive in the destination city, where the real problems start.

TheShadowSage
2007-08-16, 09:51 PM
Huh... I never even thought about it that way (if I understand what you're saying correctly).

I thought have the players do something for God or overcome a task he set up, but not like; correct me if I'm wrong, have the players act out the virtues thought the situations given to them. I like that a lot.

Thank you!

And Dragon #355 had stuff on the Virtues? What did it say?

Dementrius
2007-08-16, 10:10 PM
Yes, you pretty much got the gist of it. Unfortunately, it relies on a little railroading to make sure they do it the "right" way. Hmmm maybe they are given bonus xp / equipment based on how many they did the virtuous way? (4/7 = pass mark +1000xp, 5/7 = great! +2000xp +blessed weapons all round!, etc).

#355 went through the clerical domains of the virtues (I think # 354 did the Sins) and gave some descriptions of how to play a virtuous chracter based on each one. The new Paizo adventure paths are based on the virtues / sins theme - could be worth a look, if that's what you're looking for.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 10:11 PM
Nothing you can't find online. Just Google "Seven Deadly Sins" or something. There are like 12 variations of the virtues though, so find the one you want.

TheShadowSage
2007-08-16, 10:44 PM
Nothing you can't find online. Just Google "Seven Deadly Sins" or something. There are like 12 variations of the virtues though, so find the one you want.

I use the Seven Heavenly Virtues.

Dementius, thinking on the in-game side of that; God would be granting them "gifts" for their valor?

((Yeah, I'm a bit thick and like to double check that I have everything in my head before I move on.))

And now, I'm sorry, but my ride is here for me to go on vacation. I'll be back on Monday!

Dementrius
2007-08-16, 11:29 PM
The XP could be granted as direct Divine Mojo(tm) - whether it's a beam of light from the heavens striking them, an angelic messenger or just a "good feeling" inside the cockles of their hearts is down to the style of divinity you want to portray.

The physical rewards (loot) could come from the outcomes of the good deeds that they've done, eg.

1. Generosity - The PCs gave all of the bandit money to the beggars. One of the beggars is a destitute noble that was run out of City A, he is from a ruling house in City B. Ruling house in City B on hearing of the PCs' generosity pay back the PCs 1.5 x the amount of money given away.

2. Zeal - The bandits / demon-worshippers were criminals from City B, including a well-known Guildsman (with a sinister secret identity). As a reward for ending this menace, the Guildsman's assets are given to the party, including his three-story manor within walking distance to public transport and shops. The PCs now have a base of operations in City in which they can stay.

3. Patience - while the original reasons for the PCs to come to the city have passed them by because of defending the grove, a new and better opportunity falls in their lap. Eg. While the town guard is no longer hiring, the King is looking for additions to his personal guard. Only someone with noble friends (see 1.) who owns their own land within the city (see 2.) need apply).

The seventh test (humility), may be the way that they deal with all of the accolades that come their way.

Matthew
2007-08-17, 04:17 PM
You should have the Characters become involved in a minor aspect of the plot and into conflict with a minion of one of the Demon Lords and then gradually reel them into the campaign story arc. You will have to discuss with your Players what kind of game they are willing to play, as this sort of plot kind of relies on them being willing to fight evil, rather than just dungeon raiding.

TheShadowSage
2007-08-19, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I was trying to think of a good way to overcome the alignment problem. Most of my friends like to play either neutral or Evil characters, which makes games like this extremely hard. And it would be a complete ******* move to force them to play Good if they don't want to, motivating them will be part of the fun, though.

:vaarsuvius:

I just really wanted to do that.

I can, however, set the alignment limit at Lawful Neutral. :smallamused:
I forget exactly what the PHB says about LN, I might have to check it out and post back later.

Matthew
2007-08-19, 06:49 PM
In my opinion, you are almost always better off explaining to your Players what kind of game you are seeking to play; Alignment is really just your short hand description of their Characters, so I would recommend trying to keep Alignment out of the discussion in favour of establishing meaningful personalities and sense of morals for the Characters.

Dementrius
2007-08-19, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I was trying to think of a good way to overcome the alignment problem. Most of my friends like to play either neutral or Evil characters, which makes games like this extremely hard. And it would be a complete ******* move to force them to play Good if they don't want to, motivating them will be part of the fun, though.

:vaarsuvius:

I just really wanted to do that.

I can, however, set the alignment limit at Lawful Neutral. :smallamused:
I forget exactly what the PHB says about LN, I might have to check it out and post back later.

The other alterative is that they are helping the demons take over the world. Just make your BBEG a BB(Good)G who manipulates them into doing the right thing, even when they meant to do the wrong thing

TheShadowSage
2007-08-20, 01:40 PM
What's a BBEG?

>.>

Am I supposed to know before I try to DM?

Dementrius
2007-08-20, 10:21 PM
Big Bad Evil Guy - the "End Boss" if you like.

Dervag
2007-08-20, 10:58 PM
It's just a convenient acronym used on this forum, and presumably in other places I haven't seen it. In many cases, the true 'villain' of a campaign setting is not known to the people discussing the setting, or is not named. In others, one is discussing cross-setting constants such as pacing and needs a word for 'villain' when 'villain' would be... too literate, I guess.