PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D Wiki

NotADragonYet
2017-10-26, 12:25 AM
One of my players wants to use something from D&D Wiki, https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bear_Pelt_(5e_Equipment).

Should I allow it?

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-26, 12:31 AM
Well, the first question is, are you using these partial armor rules in the first place? Because if you aren't, I would disallow it unless the entire table (including yourself) wanted to use them.

If you aren't, I'd treat this as a cloak that doubles as warm clothing and gives a +1 bonus to AC. There is already a cloak of protection which gives +1 AC/+1 to saving throws, so it's probably not that bad.

NotADragonYet
2017-10-26, 12:58 AM
I personally have reservations about that variant rule. Couldn't you just wear medium or heavy and fluff the partial stuff as part of your main suit?

Quoxis
2017-10-26, 07:15 AM
I personally have reservations about that variant rule. Couldn't you just wear medium or heavy and fluff the partial stuff as part of your main suit?

Ask the player, not the playground.

I personally would treat this thing like magic loot, a refluffed cloak of protection as Honest Tiefling suggested, because +1 AC translates to an ASI for light armor or several hundred gp for heavy armor. Don't just give it to anyone, make them pay one way or another (loot, prize for a quest or something like that).

Don't like it? Don't use it.

pwykersotz
2017-10-26, 12:41 PM
I have serious reservations about D&D Wiki, but this looks very tame and kind of cool for an outlander type of character. I'd allow it.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-26, 12:51 PM

Then don't? You need to be able to DM the game, and you can't introduce variant options you aren't familiar with and don't want.

I do agree with making it loot or such (don't give out loot for free!), but I also suggest having NPCs react to it. People asking about if he killed the bear himself, people asking him to take the damn pelt off before meeting with the queen, or even a fellow barbarian trying to duel him because he must be an awesome warrior to have it. Having NPCs recognize flavor can sometimes make players feel better for having it.

dejarnjc
2017-10-26, 10:17 PM
Seems a bit much since it's likely to be used by a Barbarian or a Monk. I'd not allow it off the bat but happily put it in as a quest reward or along with magic loot at some point.

Deleted
2017-10-26, 10:43 PM
I've seen this variant before.

In that case the player wanted medium armor AC but didn't have the Dex to fill it out the max dex bonus. 12 Dex + light armor + pieces of armor made up the same AC as 14 Dex + Medium Armor..

So, just go Strength mod to medium armor, replacing dex mod, fixes the base problem and doesn't break anything.

If they just want to role-playing aspect then just role play it with medium armor...