PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Weapon Enhancement Idea: Lengthened

Malapterus
2017-10-26, 07:40 AM
This is an idea I had for a weapon enhancement, please critique:

Lengthened
This enhancement may be applied to a weapon with the Reach property. The weapon's melee range is treated as though the wielder was one size category larger. I.E, a Lengthened Halberd sized for & weilded by a Medium creature could strike an enemy up to 20 feet away.

The minimum range is also increased; A Medium creature could strike a fore 3 or 4 squares away but not a foe 1 or 2 squares away. A Spiked Chain may still attack anywhere within its range.

This feature can be activated or deactivated as a Move action.

Regardless of whether the power is active or not, the weight of the enhanced weapon is doubled.

Price: +2 enhancement bonus.

Westhart
2017-10-26, 08:04 AM
Not sure this is balanced, I mean spiked chain loves it, a spear? not so much... I would maybe make it where it can apply to any weapon, and then let it be usable as a swift/free action (vs move). in addition if this is magical it probably shouldn't increase the weight... this sounds like something Lemmy did though, I would suggest looking at his Custom weapon Generator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500649-Lemmy-s-Custom-Weapon-Generation-System&highlight=lemmy%27s+custom+weapon). Sounds like his extendable ability, but reach only...

Malapterus
2017-10-26, 09:21 AM
I think if you use a spear then you've come to terms with that no-fly zone & being able to full attack someone 20 feet away seems beneficial even with that.

I think it would be overpowered & look strange if it could be applied to any weapon.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-27, 07:19 AM
It should be noted that increasing the minimum range is a major drawback-- if someone does close to melee range, you can't five foot step and keep attacking them. I might leave it at +1 just because of that.

Baby Gary
2017-10-27, 11:50 AM
It should be noted that increasing the minimum range is a major drawback-- if someone does close to melee range, you can't five foot step and keep attacking them. I might leave it at +1 just because of that.

I second this, if you got mid of the minimum range and let the activation be a swift action and kept it at +2 then I think that this would be good. Or you could make this a set price, something like 8000-10000 gp could work (those are just rough estimates)