PDA

View Full Version : Need class help for dragonkin

kamooi
2017-10-26, 11:55 AM
Im starting a new "monster" campaign and i wanted to build a dragonkin as outlined in the Draconomicon (pg150-151) but i cant figure out a good class.

We are starting at level 3 with most of us having +2 LA as far as races go.
We have a bard, sorcerer, monk, barabrian, and rogue so far

lylsyly
2017-10-26, 12:36 PM
Without getting into how your group is going to handle the 7HD Dragonkin comes with along with the +2 LA and looking at the groups composition I think you need a Cleric and the Dragonkin with it's Ability Score adjustments would make a good melee AND casting Cleric if done right.

just my 2 coppers, YMMV

kamooi
2017-10-26, 04:22 PM
Without getting into how your group is going to handle the 7HD Dragonkin comes with along with the +2 LA and looking at the groups composition I think you need a Cleric and the Dragonkin with it's Ability Score adjustments would make a good melee AND casting Cleric if done right.

just my 2 coppers, YMMV

Im actually pretty interested about your thoughts on the 7HD of Dragonkin? I really like the buffs and the lore but if theres a less convoluted way to come about those than having an ECL of...9? then Im all ears

lylsyly
2017-10-27, 10:07 AM
Can you use the Dragonlance Campaign setting (it IS a first party publication)? If you can, look at dragonspawn template on page 222. will give you the same flavor without the racial hit dice. You can have an LA of +1 to +4 depending on dragon type (the better the template the higher the LA of course).

What sources can you use?

Dragonkin kinda suck, low speed both on ground and in flight, high ecl (of course this depends on what everyone else is doing)

How IS your DM handling RHD and LA?

Lot's of information needed for informed opinions.

kamooi
2017-10-27, 12:11 PM
Can you use the Dragonlance Campaign setting (it IS a first party publication)? If you can, look at dragonspawn template on page 222. will give you the same flavor without the racial hit dice. You can have an LA of +1 to +4 depending on dragon type (the better the template the higher the LA of course).

What sources can you use?

Dragonkin kinda suck, low speed both on ground and in flight, high ecl (of course this depends on what everyone else is doing)

How IS your DM handling RHD and LA?

Lot's of information needed for informed opinions.

As far as sources go, no pathfinder and nothing internet homebrewed. Does the dragonlance book have a different name? I dont think i have it in my pdf folder.

Pretty much anything with a +2 LA or less is fair game but the only other person that has a character with RHD is a Satyr. And i think we are kinda ignoring it.
Noone else has classes with RHD.

lylsyly
2017-10-27, 01:22 PM
Dragonlance Campaign setting is a first party publication but a lot of people don't see it that way.

Anyway, if you are ignoring RHD the there is no problem.

based on the make up of you party, you need a cleric. May want to consider taking a level of barbarian 1st to get rid of that 20ft movement tho.

Talk to your DM?

Nifft
2017-10-27, 01:49 PM
Pretty much anything with a +2 LA or less is fair game but the only other person that has a character with RHD is a Satyr. And i think we are kinda ignoring it.
Noone else has classes with RHD.

Find out if you're ignoring the RHD or not. Ask your DM directly.

If you're not ignoring the RHD, then take some other Dragon or Dragonblood race and fix it: for example, gain flight by picking up the Dragon Wings feat (RotDr) at level 1.

kamooi
2017-10-28, 01:27 AM
Find out if you're ignoring the RHD or not. Ask your DM directly.

If you're not ignoring the RHD, then take some other Dragon or Dragonblood race and fix it: for example, gain flight by picking up the Dragon Wings feat (RotDr) at level 1.

We are not ignoring RHD.
What would you reccomend for a cleric that likes punching?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-28, 03:12 AM
We are not ignoring RHD.
What would you reccomend for a cleric that likes punching?

There aren't a lot of level-adjusted or monster races that get a Wis bonus or innate Cleric spellcasting for a +2 LA. You'll basically just want to look for a monster race with no racial HD within that LA range.

I was initially going to recommend a Tauric Human Lammasu, but that's +3 LA, one more than you can have. That's 8 HD with some great abilities, Cleric 7 spellcasting, two domains, and when you take the first level of Cleric you get to pick two additional domains.

Artaaglith in Ghostwalk is a 5 HD demon with Cleric 5 spellcasting. There's no LA listed, even in the 3.5 update web enhancement, so I'm not sure if it would be available. They have a necromancer theme and they're typically servants of Orcus. This is probably the closest thing that's got Cleric spellcasting built in.

Fey'ri in Monsters of Faerun p118 can transform into a winged demon form to fly, have Alter Self at will, and plenty of other bonuses for no racial HD and a +2 LA. There's a list of special abilities that you get to pick four from, you can't pick the damage reduction or the Dimension Door or Enervation spell-like abilities to be +2 LA.

Githzerai get +2 Wis, but I wouldn't even consider it if the Monk is already using this race.

You may want to consider going with a monster with racial HD that can start taking Ur-Priest at 6th, if the party isn't necessarily good aligned. In that case you'll just want a low-LA Dragon or Outsider (for the base save prerequisites) such as a Lumi (MM3).

Nifft
2017-10-28, 04:27 AM
We are not ignoring RHD.
What would you reccomend for a cleric that likes punching? Okay, good to know.

You mention the rest of your team has LA +2.

Do they pay for LA +2, or is that free? If you had LA +0, will you get two extra levels?

For now, I recommend reading up on Dragonborn of Bahamut (in Races of the Dragon). That'll give you the shape you want, except no wings by default. You can take the Wings racial ability, or you can take the Dragon Wings feat (and later Improved Dragon Wings feat) in the feats section of that same book. I like the breath weapon racial ability, personally.

While you've got that book open, look up Singer of Concordance (prestige class for Clerics of the Dragon-God IO).

GrayDeath
2017-11-11, 07:20 PM
Given a cleric and punching, I'd opt for a Draconic Dragonborn Aasimar.

La +2, very nice attribute mods (+2 to everything but de) and useful resistances, your choice of wings, breath weapon (I'd take that one and use metabreath feats, awesome cc early to mid game) or wings, draconian look, all there. :)