PDA

View Full Version : Divine Power and Epic Levels

ViperMagnum357
2017-10-26, 01:09 PM
Alright, this came up in the Counterspell thread, but I think it deserves a mention since I cannot find a consensus in older threads about this topic. The spell Divine Power gives you BAB equal to your character level, as a fighter. When you get to Epic, this in turn allows for your full BAB progression added to the Epic Attack Bonus, at least by RAW. This is how the spell appeared in 3.0 and most of 3.5, as well as the SRD. However, the last printings of the PHB included a clarification in parentheses in the spell description, capping the max BAB at +20, full stop.

This errata seems to only appear in the special editions-the leather-bound version, and some special printings. Because this is considered a separate printing, it would be a copyright violation to add it under the SRD through OGL, but the fact that this is considered the most current version of the rules means this should be the official ruling.

Because I always only referred to my hard copy, I only found out about the discrepancy today-so what have you run in your Epic games? I always capped the spell at +20 because that was how it was written in my book. My copy is the October 2004 Special Edition, not the leather cover.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-26, 02:24 PM
I have a 3.5 PHB pdf with errata included. Divine Power has no such limitation.

ViperMagnum357
2017-10-26, 02:33 PM
^What date and print run?

PhantasyPen
2017-10-26, 04:15 PM
Can't find that information on the pdf :/ The errata however seems to be from 2003, according to the copyright date.

ViperMagnum357
2017-10-26, 04:37 PM
^Mmmh...my copy is a special edition from October 2004; in this discussion, [[http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?202996-Epic-Divine-Power]] someone with the deluxe edition softcover has the same parentheses and cap on the spell.

Anyone else who still has a 3.5 PHB hardcopy, feel free to chime in with the wording in your copy and when it was printed.

DarkSoul
2017-10-26, 08:18 PM
August 2012 printing caps it at +20. So does the leather-bound edition from '04.