PDA

View Full Version : Masters of the wilds shifter prestige class question.

GargantuanOwl
2017-10-26, 01:19 PM
So I'm starting a rather primitive campaign soon and I'm playing a druid because I have never actually played one before and the shifter prestige class seems pretty interesting. I'm curious about their last ability, it says it functions like wild shape except for the amount per day and type of creature that can be assumed. At the 10th level they may use this ability as a move equivalent action once per round, does that mean i would heal as if I rested for 8hours every time I shifted into another form? That seems pretty crazy but that's how I read it.

AnimeTheCat
2017-10-26, 01:43 PM
So I'm starting a rather primitive campaign soon and I'm playing a druid because I have never actually played one before and the shifter prestige class seems pretty interesting. I'm curious about their last ability, it says it functions like wild shape except for the amount per day and type of creature that can be assumed. At the 10th level they may use this ability as a move equivalent action once per round, does that mean i would heal as if I rested for 8hours every time I shifted into another form? That seems pretty crazy but that's how I read it.

As for the functionality of the ability, I'm unsure and can't look it up as I am AFB. The healing as if you rested for 8 hours is the same as with wild shape though. It's really not all that crazy tbh, at 10th level of that class you're looking at a minmum ECL of 15 which means you're only healing 15 HP (or 1 HP per HD if you're following the rules in the book). A low level fighter or barbarian (even a soulknife really...) can do that much damage in a single hit so it's really not all that great. Far cry from Crazy.

Also worth noting, if you're not using a new use of the ability, you don't gain the healing benefits. For example, a level 6 druid uses wild shape to turn in to a wolf. That druid heals 6 HP. After combat, the druid decides to change back to human form. Said druid does not heal HP as they are simply ending the use of the first ability use. In the next combat, the druid changes in to an Ape and thus heals 6 HP. When the druid reverts back after combat, said druid does not heal any HP. Does that clear things up at all? IF the same druid went from wolf to ape in a single combat, the druid would heal 6 HP on the turn they turned in to a Wolf and 6 HP on the turn they turned into an Ape.

GargantuanOwl
2017-10-26, 01:51 PM
Oh no I meant for out of combat healing. In combat it wouldn't be very effective I understand. but as a shifter my spells are rather lacking so if it works the way I would like this would save me spells out of combat. but if I changed from a human to a bear then to a wolf is more what I'm referring to. or even changing from a human to a bear to a human to a wolf.

Psyren
2017-10-26, 01:56 PM
Wasn't this updated in 3.5 to be the Master of Many Forms?

GargantuanOwl
2017-10-26, 02:35 PM
Yes it was but the campaign I am playing has a limited selection of books, PHB, DMG, and MotW.

Boggartbae
2017-10-26, 02:38 PM
Shifter was updated to Master of Many Forms, yes, and I would recommend using MoMF instead if you can get access, unless you promise not to abuse the Supernatural Abilities of Outsiders using the Assume Supernatural Ability feat

As to the original question, Yes, being able to Wild Shape at will would mean you could heal up to full HP out of combat, but that's not actually that powerful. You need to be Lvl 15 before it kicks in, and by then healing is easy to come by anyway, and the rest of your party still needs to expend resources to get back into tip-top shape.

GargantuanOwl
2017-10-26, 03:06 PM
it's more so crazy for the campaign I am playing because it is a lower powered campaign and magic is harder to come by. I was just curious because as a shifter I won't progress in CL so being able to do that at will will save me on spells per day.