PDA

View Full Version : make warlock npc quite strudy

ayvango
2017-10-26, 07:00 PM
I have an idea of warlock as a villain lieutenant. It leads mob of low level subordinates to buy time. He uses his detect magic to find the most glossy magic item, than cast Relentless Dispelling on it and follows with the Baleful Utterance next turn. I believe it would put him on the party focus. How could I make him survive at least 6 rounds? The campaign is for 6-8 lvl party.

Baby Gary
2017-10-26, 07:37 PM
what sorces? there are some pretty nice invocations out there. also what do you mean by "low level subordinates"? if this guy is 8th level how many and what level?

something that you could always do is invisibility + flight, he could sneak up and figure out which item is the coolest and then have his cannon fodder distract the party while he dispels the magic items

BUT why do you want to destroy the party's items? why not have a NPC join the party, really develop the character, and then have warlock kidnap him. You would still get the same result, the party doing after this warlock, but they wouldn't be annoyed that they don't have their (spiffy) items

ayvango
2017-10-26, 08:18 PM
BUT why do you want to destroy the party's items?
To teach party (newbies actually and I'm a newbie master) rely mostly on innate abilities of characters and not items they carry. And I could not imagine why a villain would prefer to kidnap heroes instead of just killing them.

Goaty14
2017-10-26, 08:30 PM
To teach party (newbies actually and I'm a newbie master) rely mostly on innate abilities of characters and not items they carry. And I could not imagine why a villain would prefer to kidnap heroes instead of just killing them.

he means why dispel their items instead of stealing them? On the other hand, you could just remind your players not to rely on magic items...

EXCEPT everybody kinda relies on their magic items one way or another. Only 2 kinds of characters are exempt from this: Druids and VoP Fixes.

Soranar
2017-10-26, 08:56 PM
Give him the fey heritage feats , the fey skin feat's DR specifically stacks with warlock DR

If that's not enough HP for your case, you can combine that with the necropolitan template

If he was turned near an evil altar with a desecrate effect, he'll get +2 hitpoints per level

that's 1d12+2 hitpoints per level and respectable DR, few characters have cold iron weapons too