PDA

View Full Version : Index [3.5] Those Pesky Req feats, and (Somewhat) Painless Ways to Get Them

Thurbane
2017-10-26, 08:18 PM
So, I'm looking to make a list of ways to pick up those awful req feats, that nobody really wants to take.

Aside form the general bonus feat options (human, human paragon, 1/2 elf paragon, strongheart halfling etc.), here are some specifics (I will update this as people give me suggestions, or I get new info).

I'll also add more feats if people suggest common ones.

Alertness: familiar*, celestial blooline (UA), dragon bloodline (all) (UA), fire elemental bloodline (UA), fey (intermediate or greater) bloodline (UA), hag bloodline (UA), minotaur bloodline (UA), vampire bloodline (major) (UA), ioun stone (dark blue rhomboid), scout (CAd) bonus feat, shadowspy (CC) bonus feat, revenant blade (PGtE) bonus feat, shadow thief of Amn (PGtF) bonus feat, exemplar (CAd) bonus feat, Yuan-ti broodguard (SK)
Combat Casting: duskblade (PHB2) 2, hexblade (CW) bonus feat, exemplar (CAd) bonus feat, shadowspy (CC) bonus feat, dweomerkeeper (F&P) bonus feat
Dodge: cobra strike monk (UA) 1, fighter bonus feat, Hadozee (Storm) racial feat*, simple rogue variant (UA) bonus feat, simple wizard variant (UA) bonus feat, devil bloodline (UA), lycanthrope bloodline* (UA), scout (CAd) bonus feat, battle trickster (CS) bonus feat, ashworm dragoon (Snd) bonus feat, spellsword 2 (CW) bonus feat, windrider (MoTW) bonus feat, revenant blade (PGtE) bonus feat, anointed knight (BoED) bonus feat, warrior of darkness (BoVD) bonus feat, bloodstorm blade (ToB) bonus feat, serene guardian (SGoS) bonus feat
Endurance: horse totem barbarian (UA) 5, knight bonus feat, ranger 3, undying way monk (UA) 2, warblade (ToB) bonus feat, desert orc (UA), scout (CAd) bonus feat, shou disciple (UE) bonus feat, anointed knight (BoED) bonus feat, frostblood orc (DM)
Great Fortitude: bear totem barbarian (UA) 3, knight (PHB2) bonus feat, warblade bonus feat, dwarf domain (SC), troll bloodline (UA), belt of endurance (A&EG), scout (CAd) bonus feat, vassal of Bahamut (BoED) bonus feat,
Iron Will: Otyugh Hole (CS) location, warblade (ToB) bonus feat, knight bonus feat, fey bloodline (UA), scout (CAd) bonus feat, vassal of Bahamut (BoED) bonus feat,
Lightning Reflexes: eagle totem barbarian (UA) 3, warblade bonus feat, drow domain (SC), vampire bloodline (intermediate or major) (UA), scout (CAd) bonus feat, vassal of Bahamut (BoED) bonus feat, shadow thief of Amn (PGtF) bonus feat
Run: horse totem barbarian (UA) 1, lion totem barbarian (UA) 1, warblade (ToB) bonus feat, panther mask (MIC), desert half-orc (UA)
Skill Focus (): (diplomacy) marshal (MH) 1, (various) dragon shaman (PHB2) bonus feat, (craft*) craft domain (SC), (appraise) wealth domain (SC), (knowledge: region) Frog God's Fane (CS) location, scout (CAd) bonus feat, (*) shadow thief of Amn (PGtF) bonus feat, (knowledge*) archivist (HoH) bonus feat, exemplar (CAd) bonus feat, (knowledge: history) revenant blade (PGtE) bonus feat*
Toughness: bear totem barbarian (UA) 1, undying way monk (UA) 1
Weapon Focus (): favored soul (CD) 3, fighter bonus feat, (lance) knight (PHB2) bonus feat, (light hammer or warhammer) metal domain (SC), (valenar double scimitar) revered ancestor domain (FoE), war domain, battle trickster (CS) bonus feat, ashworm dragoon (Snd) bonus feat, spellsword 2 (CW) bonus feat, , windrider (MoTW) bonus feat, vassal of Bahamut (BoED) bonus feat, shadow thief of Amn (PGtF) bonus feat, warrior of darkness (BoVD) bonus feat, bloodstorm blade (ToB) bonus feat, serene guardian (SGoS) bonus feat, stalwart sorcerer (CM) 1

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2017-10-26, 08:19 PM
For the moment I'm not adding Dragon or Dungeon material, but I will most likely do that later on.

Notes:
- any feat that can be gained through a domain can be gained (temporarily) through a domain druaght

Goaty14
2017-10-26, 08:26 PM
dragon shaman gets it level 2 iirc.

Darrin
2017-10-26, 09:01 PM
Hadozee start with Dodge as a bonus feat (Stormwrack p. 152).

Soulspark Familiar (MoI) also gets you Alertness.

Dwarf Domain gets you Great Fortitude.

Time Domain gets you Improved Initiative.

Darkness/Shadow domain gets you Blind-Fight. Dragon Totem Barbarian (UA) gets Blind-Fight. Knight of the Middle Circle 1 also gets it.

Doctor Despair
2017-10-26, 09:08 PM
Of note is that except for the classes from... I want to say it was Complete Champion... you can train out of req feats if you were taking them to start into a prestige class. You only need to have them when you take your first level, but after that you no longer need the feat to continue leveling or using the prestige class. Technically, you can have a Heartfire Fanner grant you a feat with Inspired Feat while you level up to this end as well if you'd rather not take the time to retrain. What you do need to retain these req feats for is if they are a prerequisite for another feat.

Also of note for this is the Dark Chaos Shuffle chain using Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos. While technically that can get you infinite feats, you can also choose to stop if you only want to ignore class prerequisites without breaking the game over your knee.

The Bloodlines grant feats and technically don't increase your ECL. I know a few of them grant Dodge; not sure about the other ones.

Finally... I can't recall if feats granted by items can be used to meet prerequisites for classes and abilities, but if so, it might be worth mentioning the items like Ring of Evasion and so on.

NoAnonimo
2017-10-26, 09:29 PM
There is a fantastic handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099) on minmaxforums exactly for this. Hope it helps you.

Doctor Despair
2017-10-26, 09:35 PM
There is a fantastic handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099) on minmaxforums exactly for this. Hope it helps you.

Ah, I'd forgotten that Psychic Reformation can be used on feats, too, and not just skillpoints, which is what I most often use it for (bypassing the level+3 cap for points). This definitely seems like a good resource for feat-granting items and spells.

Anthrowhale
2017-10-26, 09:52 PM
Bloodlines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#bloodlineDescriptions) grant many feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Flyby Attack, Improved sunder, Mobility, Spring Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Combat reflexes, Great Fortitude, Stealthy, Lightning Reflexes

There are also several templates which grant feats of which Gheden (Endurance, Toughness, Die-hard) stands out at LA+1.

Frog God's Fane is also good for picking up Skill Focus[Knowledge[Religion]].

NoAnonimo
2017-10-26, 09:56 PM
This definitely seems like a good resource for feat-granting items and spells.

Original Author (and their collaborators) made a really goooooooood work there. They checked almost every possible book (there are a couple they didn't, tho). It's my first option when trying to get a (almost) free feat. They are premium!

Rebel7284
2017-10-26, 11:15 PM
There are a number of Dragon Magazine items that are missing.

1. There are a number of Pirate grafts that grant Spring Attack.
2. There are some sandals that give Run and Endurance feats and -2 Dex.

May edit the post with issue and page numbers later.

Zaq
2017-10-26, 11:28 PM
I was going to say frostblood orc as a way of getting Endurance, but unless you're using the bonus Endurance from Ranger levels to get a bonus feat that specifically isn't at 1st level, you're better off being a human.

Spirit Shamans also get Alertness as a bonus feat thanks to their otherwise nearly nonmechanical Spirit Guide.

Erudites get a psicrystal without spending a feat on it, and psicrystals, like familiars, grant Alertness within arm's reach.

Forrestfire
2017-10-27, 01:51 AM
Though Dragon is more obscure and some tables don't allow it, I think it's worth noting, potentially?

Dragon Magazine #299 has Golden the Clockwork Cat is a 10,000gp item that can become the familiar of any arcane spellcaster, granting Alertness.

Dragon Magazine #318 has the golden dancing pegleg, a 55,000gp graft that grants Mobility and Spring Attack as bonus feats (ignoring prerequisites), as well as a +10 competence bonus on Perform (dance) checks.

Dragon Magazine #324 has Shadahkar's swift wind, an 8,350gp pair of shoes that grant the Run and Endurance feats, but apply a –2 penalty to your Dexterity score.

Dragon Magazine #325 has the following:

Bands of the iron monkey, a 15,000gp set of bracers that grant Deflect Arrows.
Staff of the crushing breeze, an 18,000gp +2 quarterstaff that also grants Improved Trip.

I'm sure there's more in later issues, but these are the only ones I've gone through so far.

Jowgen
2017-10-27, 09:30 AM
I also have a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts). However, unlike the aforementioned Nijineko over on minmax, mine doesn't do spells. Is complete in terms of Dragon mag items though.

Thurbane
2017-10-29, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Wife and I had a hectic weekend (went clubbing Saturday night and spent most of Sunday recovering), so I'll update this in the next day or so when I get a chance.

I think I'll add in Weapon Focus as a pesky feat, but Improved Initiative is a good enough standalone feat I don;t think it needs to be included.

Thurbane
2017-10-30, 08:36 PM
OK, I've updated a bunch of stuff in the OP.

The formatting is messy, but I can sort that out later.

Open to additional suggestions (I will starting adding Dragon Mag/Dungeon Mag stuff at some point in the near future).

ayvango
2017-10-30, 08:40 PM
Stalwart sorcerer has both weapon proficiency and weapon focus. Like war domain.

Endarire
2017-10-31, 01:15 AM
"vassal of Bahamut (BoED) bonus fEat," Ahem.

It would help more if you put the Class, then Level, then Type & Source like Spellsword2 [Any Fighter or Metamagic feat] (Complete Warrior).

Swordsage1 gets Weapon Focus in all weapons for his chosen discipline. This may also include weapon proficiency. Ask your GM.