PDA

View Full Version : FoB with a ranged weapon?

ATHATH
2017-10-26, 10:37 PM
I recently noticed that the Flurry of Blows class feature of the Monk doesn't specify that you have to make a melee Full-Attack in order to use Flurry of Blows, you just have to use a monk weapon.

Is there a way to make, say, a light crossbow a monk weapon? I know about the existence of shuriken (and that they're monk weapons); I'm just curious.

Is there a way to apply your Unarmed Strike damage to the damage of the aforementioned ranged monk weapon(s)?

Rebel7284
2017-10-26, 10:45 PM
I think that Bloodwind spell or Bloodstorm Blade are your best bets to actually make unarmed attacks at range.

However, to actually answer your questions: Unorthodox Flurry, Dragon Compendium would work, at least for Light Weapons.

The only ways I know of dealing Unarmed Strike damage with a weapon is the Scorpion Kama from MIC (barring some weird houserules on gauntlets that sometimes pop up.) Perhaps adding Morphing to it to make it into other weapons could work. You would need to talk to your DM about the cost of that though.

Psyren
2017-10-26, 11:20 PM
Of course you can flurry with ranged weapons too - shuriken are even on the core list.

Flurrying with crossbows is a taller order though.

death390
2017-10-27, 05:00 PM
Honestly unorthodox monk with light crossbow might work but be prepared for book to the head.

You want a crap ton of ranged attacks? Targeter fighter 2( rain of arrows +2 attacks), two weapon fighting line, rapid shot, master thrower palm throw for double projectiles. Add martial stance assasins for 2d6 sneak attack at lvl 9(or lvl dip). Slap that setup on fob monk and owch. At lvl 9 that's 6 attack rolls doing 2d2+2d6SA each attack roll with mundane weapons. Supercharge it with magic gear? Heh dis be fun.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-27, 05:29 PM
Honestly unorthodox monk with light crossbow might work but be prepared for book to the head.

You want a crap ton of ranged attacks? Targeter fighter 2( rain of arrows +2 attacks), two weapon fighting line, rapid shot, master thrower palm throw for double projectiles. Add martial stance assasins for 2d6 sneak attack at lvl 9(or lvl dip). Slap that setup on fob monk and owch. At lvl 9 that's 6 attack rolls doing 2d2+2d6SA each attack roll with mundane weapons. Supercharge it with magic gear? Heh dis be fun.
Holy attack penalties, Batman! That's what, -12 all told, assuming you didn't take enough Monk to get Flurry penalty reduction? Ouch! (-5 Rain of Arrows, -2 TWF, -2 Rapid Shot, -2 Flurry). Even with Weak Spot to turn 'em into touch attacks, that's taking "flurry of misses" a whole new level.

(Also, I suggest throwing Shiba Protector and Drow Fighter in there, along with Zen Archery if you can fit it. Double Wis to attack, Wis and sometimes Dex to damage in a way that's unaffected by Palm Throw)

death390
2017-10-27, 06:35 PM
I understand flurry of misses is what monk is anyway I figured take it to the extreme for attacks. You should see the monk totemist using multi attack and about a dozen natural attacks( total mis chance -5 with two weapon fighting)