PDA

View Full Version : An EK - Tunnel Fighter Build

Coronus
2017-10-27, 08:56 AM
I've seen some old posts about the Tunnel Fighter style. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone this crazy with it..

Human - optional bonus feat - Dual Wielder
Fighter - EK - Tunnel Fighter style
4th level - Sentinel
6th level - Polearm Master
8th level - Mobility
12 level - Warcaster

Weapons used - Whip and Quarterstaff

Spells used - Enlarge and Booming Blade

I have seen similar ideas brought up. With this build, the only way an enemy in my 5' to 10' area cannot get hit by an OA is to not move. When an opponent(s) closes to 5' it triggers OA. On my turn I do my regular attack with and step back 5'. No OA's on me because of Mobility. They close to 5' and OA - booming blade. They try to leave and OA - whip - sentinel - stopped. They stand still and I can hit them on my turn anyway. If they don't have reach or ranged, they stand there looking stupid.

This is vulnerable vs casters and ranged (and if I miss of course :smallbiggrin:)

For casters, Mage Slayer can be taken at 16th level, staying within 5' of the caster instead of withdrawing.

For ranged..well they still can't move.

Damage with the quarterstaff is 1d6+2d8+1d4+STR on an OA (booming blade + enlarge).

Comments? Questions? "Oh god, not this again."?

Catullus64
2017-10-27, 09:16 AM
The text of War Caster specifies that when an opponent provokes an OA, you can cast at them instead of making an OA. Tunnel Fighter lets you make OAs without using your reaction, so that particular element of the build (the Booming Blade bit) wouldn't work.

Otherwise, it is indeed ludicrously strong, though were I your DM, I would frankly ban TF the instant I saw this build on the horizon.

Coronus
2017-10-27, 09:45 AM
Ahh, nice catch about the warcaster feat.

Yeah, if TF makes it through unchanged it will be a wtf moment and banned in anything I DM as well.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-27, 09:53 AM
This build also relies on the DM letting you have multiple reaches. Technically, you have multiple reaches with just a whip in hand since unarmed strikes exist. The book is unclear on how OAs work with multiple reaches.

Of course, the better build is fighter / rogue so you can sneak attack with those opportunity attacks.

alchahest
2017-10-27, 10:18 AM
it ALSO relies on every monster filing politely next to the fighter.

Coronus
2017-10-27, 10:35 AM
This build also relies on the DM letting you have multiple reaches. Technically, you have multiple reaches with just a whip in hand since unarmed strikes exist. The book is unclear on how OAs work with multiple reaches.

Of course, the better build is fighter / rogue so you can sneak attack with those opportunity attacks.

The polearm master, mentions entering the reach of the staff (among the other pole weapons) as the trigger for an OA. You would not get sneak on the quarterstaff as it is not a finesse weapon. One could argue that the OA does not have to be with the polearm since it is not stated as a requirement in the feat, merely that you have an OA against the enemy. Sounds like a DM call.

Coronus
2017-10-27, 10:45 AM
it ALSO relies on every monster filing politely next to the fighter.

The fighter is enlarged. That is a lot of space. It doesn't matter what they do, once they enter the 10' reach they cannot leave that zone without trigging. They could move along the 10' zone neither leaving nor getting closer to the fighter. Without magic of some kind, that's it.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-27, 10:46 AM
The polearm master, mentions entering the reach of the staff (among the other pole weapons) as the trigger for an OA. You would not get sneak on the quarterstaff as it is not a finesse weapon. One could argue that the OA does not have to be with the polearm since it is not stated as a requirement in the feat, merely that you have an OA against the enemy. Sounds like a DM call.

Well if you're intent on getting the most out of a quarterstaff and your DM allows UA, try building this on a Redemption Paladin / Bladesinger. Stupidly high AC and wizard smites on those opportunity attacks.

That's if you really want your DM to ban UA.

alchahest
2017-10-27, 11:56 AM
The fighter is enlarged. That is a lot of space. It doesn't matter what they do, once they enter the 10' reach they cannot leave that zone without trigging. They could move along the 10' zone neither leaving nor getting closer to the fighter. Without magic of some kind, that's it.

I suppose in an enclosed space it's very frustrating! but it's also a thing the player has put resources into doing and is completely thwarted by fighting in areas larger than 25' or having any kind of ability to avoid opportunity attacks. And takes a bonus action each round (preventing both that and second wind). I mean I guess it breaks the game if you only fight in tight spots and you don't want the fighter to be able to actually protect the other party members in a mechanically supported way?

Coronus
2017-10-27, 12:44 PM
I suppose in an enclosed space it's very frustrating! but it's also a thing the player has put resources into doing and is completely thwarted by fighting in areas larger than 25' or having any kind of ability to avoid opportunity attacks. And takes a bonus action each round (preventing both that and second wind). I mean I guess it breaks the game if you only fight in tight spots and you don't want the fighter to be able to actually protect the other party members in a mechanically supported way?

Actually, it's 30'...if the fighter has the Lightning Lure cantrip 40'. To be able to contain, fight and pull in a mobile 40' radius. I think that's pretty good protection.

Can enemies get out? Sure, lots of magical ways. Other than that, I have not observed a rash of monsters with the mobility feat. (could be wrong on that?).

If I was in a party with another character like this, would I NOT play an Evo Wizard? No I think I would.

Or a monk with Mobility.

Or a cleric to keep the Fighter buffed.

Or a druid to entangle the rest of the stragglers.

etc...

alchahest
2017-10-27, 01:05 PM
thorn whip doesn't allow additional length to triggering the OA. and you can still only use warcaster once per turn. warcaster doesn't give you additional oppoertunity attacks, it lets you use your reaction to replace an opportunity attack with a cantrip cast.

BoxANT
2017-10-27, 01:42 PM
I ran a human EK sword n board Tunnel Fighter in my last campaign.

Blade Mastery (adv on AoO)
Mobile (for booming blade)
War Caster

With 20AC (25 w shield spell)
taking dodge actions and using tunnel fighter to lock down enemies and block off corridors, it was fun and effective.

However, the enemies (read: dm) were smart enough as to stand still most of the time (which was still fine as it kept my party safe).

Really enjoyed this style of tanking and never felt too dominating.

Coronus
2017-10-27, 03:20 PM
thorn whip doesn't allow additional length to triggering the OA. and you can still only use warcaster once per turn. warcaster doesn't give you additional oppoertunity attacks, it lets you use your reaction to replace an opportunity attack with a cantrip cast.

It was lightning lure I was referring to. Thorn whip is awesome though. What I meant was that, LL has a 15' range and can draw the target in 10' where it will be 5' away and take 3d8 damage, if it fails a STR save. This can be used on the fighter's regular attack action to draw more enemies into the 5' to 10' region where they will stay.

The War Caster / reaction thing was already covered. No booming blade OA :smalltongue:

alchahest
2017-10-27, 04:02 PM
well that's not totally correct - you can have ONE booming blade OA. the any additional OAs are regular though.