PDA

View Full Version : Minimal height loss to consider flying down?

ayvango
2017-10-27, 10:41 AM
If you had good manoeuvrability you could go vertically up in 5 ft (loosing 10ft) and spend remaining movement distance for "descending" with near-horizontal angle and double speed. That effectively double moving speed. And therefore I suppose, that my reading is too naive. How the fly rules should be read actually?

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-27, 12:19 PM
If you had good manoeuvrability you could go vertically up in 5 ft (loosing 10ft) and spend remaining movement distance for "descending" with near-horizontal angle and double speed. That effectively double moving speed. And therefore I suppose, that my reading is too naive. How the fly rules should be read actually?

Movement happens in squares. Any squares down you move are at half cost. Your angle doesn't matter as horizontal squares cost normal. Your angle just controls how many squares you move up/down per square sideways.

ayvango
2017-10-27, 03:00 PM
So, more elevated warrior holds no advantage over less elevated, don't he? He could not convert his position into speed and cut the distance fast. There is no way to use elevation to catch other party - horizontal distance would never reduce. It is quite contrary to real fly, but game is game.

InvisibleBison
2017-10-27, 03:26 PM

The movement rules only care about moving from one square (or cube, since we're dealing with flight) to another. Movement within a cube doesn't matter and doesn't count against movement speed. If the cube you end in after your "descent" is at the same elevation above the ground, you didn't move downward, even if you started four feet above the bottom of the cube and ended one foot above it.

ayvango
2017-10-27, 03:51 PM
It's a pity since eliminated whole bunch of aerial manoeuvres which are cinema made iconic. Nevertheless game is a simplified model of reality and could not portray all its aspects.

The movement rules only care about moving from one square
How should I treat then limitation like 60° turn angle? If me forced to reason only in terms of moving between adjacent squares, then we could reproduce only 90° and 45° angles.

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-27, 04:36 PM
It's a pity since eliminated whole bunch of aerial manoeuvres which are cinema made iconic. Nevertheless game is a simplified model of reality and could not portray all its aspects.

How should I treat then limitation like 60° turn angle? If me forced to reason only in terms of moving between adjacent squares, then we could reproduce only 90° and 45° angles.

Follow the edge of a 60 degree cone shape.

Elkad
2017-10-27, 05:08 PM

Use a hex map?

InvisibleBison
2017-10-27, 05:15 PM

A creature with average maneuverability can't climb at more than a 60° angle. That means that if it wants to go upward, it must move no more than three cubes upward per two cubes of horizontal travel. If it's traveling only one or two cubes upward, I guess you'd just round the horizontal distance to one cube? It's an abstraction, the fact that it breaks down in some edge cases is inevitable.

ayvango
2017-10-27, 05:41 PM
That means that if it wants to go upward, it must move no more than three cubes upward per two cubes of horizontal travel.
That implies macro movement movement rules applicability besides local rules acting on adjacent cubes. And in that context the initial question make sense: how many cubes you should descent per horizontal cubes moving to apply for "flying down" down bonus if any.