PDA

View Full Version : Can we stat these?

DizzyWood
2017-10-27, 10:54 AM
Ok so I know its all cute and stuff but I think these could be some really cool critters to populate a forest and I have never been good at homebrew. I was thinking it must keep flyby but other then that anything goes. They could make a great familiar or messangers!

https://i.imgur.com/ZfsXqfS.jpg

PS. I am AFB but if these already exist and I did not know it I will literally kill one of my PCs in embarrassment.

PSS Anyone have any other cool hybrids or fun creations they use? Don't have to be as cute as meowls!

suplee215
2017-10-27, 11:00 AM
Why not refluff an owl? Unless you want this to be a higher CR, but then that is no a familiar creature outside warlock. Perhaps upping dex to 14 to be on par with a cat and adding keen smell to to the Owl's keen sight and ears.

SaA
2017-10-27, 11:14 AM
Str 3 (-4)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 10 (0)
Int 3 (-4)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 12 (+1) cause cute

AC: 11
HP: 2
Speed: 20ft, fly 60ft

Senses: Passive Perception 13, Darkvision 120ft
Skills: Perception +3 , Stealth +4
CR: 0

Actions
Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 1 slashing Damage
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 1 piercing Damage

Special Abilities:
Keen Senses - The meowl has Advantage on Wisdom (Perception checks that rely on smell , hearing and/or sight)
Flyby - The Meowl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach

LordEntrails
2017-10-27, 12:37 PM
Maybe this is my... generalizing (?), but I don't see a cat or an owl having drastically different stats, other than flying. They are both nocturnal, both hunters, both fairly wise, and stealthy. So to me, a meowl would have the same stats as an owl. I mean what does a cat add or subtract from an owl?

That's where you have to come up with the fluff first, and then figure out any stat changes. What is a meowl to you? So maybe a meowl doesn't have good night vision? Or maybe they are exceptionally intelligent, or maybe they have a magical charm ability? Perhaps they are telepathic? or...

DizzyWood
2017-10-27, 01:14 PM
Maybe this is my... generalizing (?), but I don't see a cat or an owl having drastically different stats, other than flying. They are both nocturnal, both hunters, both fairly wise, and stealthy. So to me, a meowl would have the same stats as an owl. I mean what does a cat add or subtract from an owl?

That's where you have to come up with the fluff first, and then figure out any stat changes. What is a meowl to you? So maybe a meowl doesn't have good night vision? Or maybe they are exceptionally intelligent, or maybe they have a magical charm ability? Perhaps they are telepathic? or...

Hmm good point. Like the goober I am I saw a cute thing and ran with it with no thought. I shall consider and get back to you shortly.