PDA

View Full Version : Its so painful!

Spacehamster
2017-10-27, 12:54 PM
Anyone else that is super pumped to be able to finally read through
Xanthars guide and see how good/bad all the new sub-classes are? ( god damn it be end of November already!)
Which one are you most eager to check out? The ones I am most
eager to finally get to check out are: Hexblade, Path of the Zealot and the
Kensai & the War magic wizard. :)

clem
2017-10-27, 12:56 PM
I loved the Scout from 3.5, so I'm very much looking forward to what the 5e version has to offer.

Scyrner
2017-10-27, 01:45 PM
I'm supremely hyped for Hexblade, but I also just want to read the whole thing!!

Potato_Priest
2017-10-27, 01:46 PM
I want to read all the barbarian stuff, and I'm super interested to see how the samurai came out.

lunaticfringe
2017-10-27, 02:37 PM
I want to read all the barbarian stuff, and I'm super interested to see how the samurai came out.

This -Samurai, +Inquisitive & Horizon Walker

Erit
2017-10-27, 08:25 PM
Very anxious over Kensei. Currently playing one using the V2 kit, and I earnestly hope the official version doesn't horribly break anything, else I might have to retire the party's dearly beloved Tabaxi.

2D8HP
2017-10-27, 10:07 PM
I loved the Scout from 3.5, so I'm very much looking forward to what the 5e version has to offer.

Oh that is a good one!

Feats and prestige classes aren't my thing, and I never played 3.x, but I did buy and read Compleat Adventurer and I thought the Scout looked AWESOME!

Erit
2017-10-27, 10:09 PM
Oh that is a good one!

Feats and prestige classes aren't my thing, and I never played 3.x, but I did buy and read Compleat Adventurer and I thought the Scout looked AWESOME!

The scout did not play nicely with 3.5e's action economy, but it was quite neat, yeah.

MeeposFire
2017-10-27, 10:38 PM
The scout did not play nicely with 3.5e's action economy, but it was quite neat, yeah.

Well that is not much of an indictment almost all the classes that used weapons did not really play nicely with 3es action economy. The full attack action is one of the great failings of that edition and is one many people who talk about the editions problems tend to forget to talk about despite how much it influences everything.

You are right though you could do ok using imp many shot but after that you have to deal with the fact that many enemies are immune to your extra damage (crit immune WHY!).

Deleted
2017-10-27, 10:57 PM
Well that is not much of an indictment almost all the classes that used weapons did not really play nicely with 3es action economy. The full attack action is one of the great failings of that edition and is one many people who talk about the editions problems tend to forget to talk about despite how much it influences everything.

You are right though you could do ok using imp many shot but after that you have to deal with the fact that many enemies are immune to your extra damage (crit immune WHY!).

4e really really really fixed a major issue with 3e that I'm so damn glad made it ovwr to 5e.

Though immediate interupts and all that jazz could get weird in 4e, 4e's ideology of a simple action economy is so nice. Though, I'm in the camp that bonus actions shouldn't be a thing as they are made now (they should be more specific and tied to other actions).

Tetrasodium
2017-10-27, 10:59 PM
I have mixed feelings. I expect that OI will need to rebuild way too much of it to fit my eberron game, doubly so given how much of eberron I've needed to homebrew due to WotC's all faerun all the time & refusal to allow any setting but greyhawk & faerun on dmsguild

Yea there are probably some neat things in it, but WotC has dropped the ball so badly that even after waiting 3 years from the release of 5e to start a 5e game in eberron the only official stuff for eberron was designed for the dndnext test or themed to fit faerun moreso than eberron. If it takes too much work to adapt, then I may just bring up switching to a different system or quit gm'ing till wotc gets around to releasing 5e eberron stuff.

mephnick
2017-10-27, 11:42 PM
Mostly excited.

As I've said in other threads, I'm interested in how they torched Redemption Oath to the ground and rebuilt it...or didn't.

I also thought the Hexblade was a bit of a mess and could have been made completely unnecessary by offering pact of the blade some armour. What a waste of time.

But I am totally psyched for the Horizon Walker, all the Fighter Archetypes, Zealot Barbarian, both Clerics and...most of them to be honest.

MeeposFire
2017-10-28, 12:21 AM
4e really really really fixed a major issue with 3e that I'm so damn glad made it ovwr to 5e.

Though immediate interupts and all that jazz could get weird in 4e, 4e's ideology of a simple action economy is so nice. Though, I'm in the camp that bonus actions shouldn't be a thing as they are made now (they should be more specific and tied to other actions).

To be fair 4e brought it back to a semblence of what it used to be. 3e is the only edition where the action economy so screws over weapon users. In 2e for instance you could move up to half your total potential movement and make all of your melee attacks which is functionally the same as it is in 5e where you can make a move and make all of your attacks or move twice as far if you spend that action to move more instead of attacking. Different way of describing the action economy but effectively the same thing.

I do find it interesting that you do not care for bonus actions but you like 4e action economy that has the minor action that mostly does not have a requirement to be tied to other actions. Granted many of us treat bonus actions like minor actions (and honestly I do think that is where they essentially got them from) but I do think part of the problem is that the game tries to pretend that they are a "bonus" action that you can do that has various limitations rather than a type of action called a "bonus action" that you can use for certain things. I think many of us tend to use them like the second but the rules seem to sometimes imply the first and while most of the time it does not make much of a difference I do think that does contribute to some of the confusion relating to things using a bonus action.

pdegan2814
2017-10-28, 12:26 AM
Anyone else that is super pumped to be able to finally read through
Xanthars guide and see how good/bad all the new sub-classes are? ( god damn it be end of November already!)
Which one are you most eager to check out? The ones I am most
eager to finally get to check out are: Hexblade, Path of the Zealot and the
Kensai & the War magic wizard. :)

Well, we've gotten pretty good preludes to most of the classes from the Summer Of Unearthed Arcana, and the videos they've been putting out each day often give hints as to any final tweaks. I will be very curious to see all of the changes. We did get a look at the final revision of the Forge domain, and overall I like the final tweaks they made.

As for which subclasses I'm most interested in?
Barbarian - Ancestral Guardian looks interesting, Storm Herald looks awesome, not as interested in Zealot
Bard - Haven't played a Bard, none of the new choices really appeal to me. I'd still likely go Lore if I played one
Cleric - Both the Forge and Grave domains look like fun both in mechanics and flavor
Druid - Circle Of Dreams looks neat, I was hoping we'd get Twilight instead of Shepherd though
Fighter - I'm curious how they redid the Cavalier since the last UA draft, but that Arcane Archer tho.... *drool*
Monk - Haven't played one yet, Drunken Master looks fun though
Paladin - Meh, neither of the new Oaths jingle my dangles, I'll stick with Ancients
Ranger - All three of the new subclasses look interesting to me, bummed we aren't getting Primeval Guardian
Rogue - REALLY liking the Scout based on the last UA draft, sounds like it hasn't changed much
Sorcerer - Haven't played one, Shadow looks neat, Divine Soul could be interesting, wish we were getting Stone Sorcery(though I hear I'm in the minority with that one)
Warlock - I love me some Warlocks. I dig the Celestial Patron, but the UA Hexblade felt more like "Hey, we made a Bladelock that doesn't suck! Oh wait, now we made him TOO strong..." I really dug the Raven Queen option from UA, wish we'd gotten it. Very curious what the final draft of the new Invocations looks like.
Wizard - War Mage does look kinda cool