PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Energy + Innate Resistance

Yogibear41
2017-10-27, 05:22 PM
Protection from Energy specifically does not stack with the resist energy spell, but how does it interact with say a racial energy resistance?

Say I have a character who has fire resistance: 10 from his race, but also has Protection from Energy cast on himself to absorb additional fire damage.

If the character is hit for 10 points of fire damage does his base fire resistance prevent it from reducing the shield from protection from energy? or does the protection shield get reduced without taking into account the characters innate fire resistance at all?

AlanBruce
2017-10-27, 07:23 PM
Protection from Energy specifically does not stack with the resist energy spell, but how does it interact with say a racial energy resistance?

Say I have a character who has fire resistance: 10 from his race, but also has Protection from Energy cast on himself to absorb additional fire damage.

If the character is hit for 10 points of fire damage does his base fire resistance prevent it from reducing the shield from protection from energy? or does the protection shield get reduced without taking into account the characters innate fire resistance at all?

I would rule that the spell would take precedence, since it absorbs more energy than the example you posted.

Once the spell expires/dispels, racial resistance to fire would continue to protect tgat creature normally.

Remuko
2017-10-28, 10:50 AM
Id rule in favor of the player. I'd probably have racial resistance lower the damage and then pro from energy block whats left afterwards (as much as it can).