PDA

View Full Version : Free software to make a form-fill PDF savable?

Delicious Taffy
2017-10-27, 06:10 PM
I don't know a damn thing about PDF format, other than that I can read them and sometimes save things on them, and they've been very useful. My problem is that I keep finding character sheet PDFs for games, and they're fillable, but I can't save what I put into the fields. They'll let me print them, but saving is apparently a step too far for some of these? But I have other forms that I can absolutely save after filling, so it's frustrating when I can't.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone here know of any free software that I can use to make these forms actually savable? They're specifically free-to-use forms, I just can't save them, and I don't own a printer, so printing them is out of the question. The only PDF reader I have is the version of Adobe Reader that came built into my laptop, and I haven't found any options in it that do this.

Not asking for a magic software that lets me do whatever I want with a file so I can dodge paying for a product, by the way. I've gotten responses of that variety in the past, due to not being clear enough with my language. I'm specifically looking to change a single aspect of a file I already have, which I obtained for free, and which has no non-free version for which I'd otherwise have to pay.

Aedilred
2017-10-27, 06:45 PM
Does Acrobat not allow that? Mine seems to, but I don't know if it's been paid for at some point and I just don't remember.

Delicious Taffy
2017-10-27, 06:54 PM
I don't have Acrobat. I have Reader. They're apparently not the same program.

Brother Oni
2017-10-28, 02:28 AM
I don't have Acrobat. I have Reader. They're apparently not the same program.

I can confirm this. Acrobat lets you edit PDFs and costs money for the license. Reader only lets you view PDFs and is free.

Have you tried printing them using the Microsoft Print to PDF option in Windows 10? This lets you save them, but I've not worked with editable PDFs or Acrobat.

Another option is importing the PDF into a word processing software and see what that does. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free to use and replicates most of the functions of MS Word.

Karmea
2017-10-28, 02:53 AM
There are several free editors floating around. I generally use Foxit Reader (and sumatra for basic viewing, way more lightweight than foxit or adobe's reader). I think PDF-Xchange Viewer also has similar features to Foxit.

Delicious Taffy
2017-10-28, 02:00 PM
Have you tried printing them using the Microsoft Print to PDF option in Windows 10?

I'm still running Vista. Unless there's a similar option I'm somehow missing, it's not gonna happen.

Iruka
2017-10-29, 03:30 AM
Form-fill PDFs are definitely weird. I do usually use the already mentioned Foxit reader, but some pdf-forms are not editable with it and I have to use the Acrobat Reader.
My recommendation is to try the workaround with a pdf-printer. There are several available for free, Foxit for example comes with one.