PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Trolls?

SangoProduction
2017-10-27, 07:05 PM
3.5 has Trollblooded, which must be taken at level 1, and you must also have Toughness feat. It's not the best feat, but it's cool. Normally, without Flaws, you'd have to take Human in order to take Trollblooded, because there's basically nothing that grants toughness (especially at level 1).

This thread, however, showed that a Bear Totem Barbarian gets it at level 1 though. This opens up a bunch of options (especially as a Trollblooded probably wanted to go at least 1 level in Barbarian anyway).

I already theory crafted how to build a Human Troll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?522403-Troll-Blooded-Yeah-or-nah)...but. Aside from Half Orc (I hate everything about them), what are some good Troll-kin races?

List of suggested races (by whom): and why.
1. Warforged (SangoProduction): Getting natural healing when it's normally a racial feature to not have natural healing is cool.
2. Elan (MaxiDuRaritry): Nullify enough damage that trollblooded takes care of the rest.
3. Orc, Water Orc, or Ogre (Arael666): Close to a Troll already.
4. Exiled Modron (Doctor Despair): Doesn't naturally heal, now it does.

Captn_Flounder
2017-10-27, 08:55 PM
There is a halfling sub-race that trades their bonus to saves for an extra bonus feat at level one.

So Trollblooded Halfling.

And, as noted, you can take a flaw on any race.

flappeercraft
2017-10-27, 09:07 PM
There is a halfling sub-race that trades their bonus to saves for an extra bonus feat at level one.

So Trollblooded Halfling.

And, as noted, you can take a flaw on any race.

That would be Strongheart halfling

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-27, 09:10 PM
It segues very well with the elan's racial abilities, especially if the elan takes a manifesting-heavy class for plenty of pp to spend on its racial features. Very good ways to boost saves, nullifying some damage, and healing up for any that you do take.

Arael666
2017-10-27, 09:30 PM
instead of the half-orc, why not go with the superior choice? the orc (if you don't have anything against those that is) or even it's prettier cousin, the water orc.

also, trolls are giants, so maybe you could be a troll-blooded ogre? I don't really know how the rules work here.

Doctor Despair
2017-10-27, 09:35 PM
Exiled Modrons look interesting.

Exiled Modron (DR354 p43)
+2 Con
+2 Int
–2 Dex
–2 Cha
<1st class>
• Living Construct
• Immune to Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Disease,
Nausea, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Sickening, and
Energy Drain.
• Does not Eat, Sleep, or Breath.
• Does not naturally heal.
• At 0 hp, is Disabled (as usual). From –1 to
–9 hp, is Inert (i.e., Unconscious, but stable)
• Conj(healing) spells only heal ½ hp.
• Medium size
• 30’ movement
• +2 Natural Armor bonus to AC
• Acid, Cold, & Fire Resistance 2.
• +2 on saves vs. Illusions & Mind-affecting Effects
• –2 penalty on Charisma-based skill checks vs.
Chaotic creatures.
• +2 Racial bonus on Listen & Spot checks.
• Armor & clothing must be custom made
• Vulnerability to Surprise – treated as Flat-footed on
the 2nd round of combat that you did not initiate,
though you may still act on the 1st
round normally.

Same immunity to fatigue that Warforged gives, but added Acid and Fire Resistance is effectively DR2/-- which is kinda nice for LA0.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-27, 09:36 PM
How about anything with fast healing? Like, say, a hydra?

Captn_Flounder
2017-10-27, 09:55 PM
That would be Strongheart halfling

Thank you, friend.

Don't have my books on me and didn't want to spread false information.

ShurikVch
2017-10-31, 06:33 PM
There are several things...

1. Almost all Trolls are have Scent SQ, but it wasn't mentioned neither in this, nor in previous thread. Was it intentional, or just an oversight?

2. Rend SA:
Feral template gives us 2 claws, and +6 NA...which is more NA than a normal troll has, but equal to a Troll Hunter. It also gives Rend with claws (eventually)Do you aware Feral works exclusively from racial HD?
Unless you will start with 12+ rHD (or have some way to increase them), you will never got Rend this way.
Maybe, look for some other ways?

3. Physical appearance:
also, Half Minotaur doesn't look (without refluff) like a Troll.While I wouldn't argue with the quoted part, it's actually not that simple.
What's the most distinctive part of D&D Trolls appearance?

http://www.imarvintpa.com/Mapping/Tokens/t0/Troll.png

It's their long pointy crooked noses!
That part is, apparently, matter so much -
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50079.jpgBut long pointy noses are very rare things in D&D 3.X!
Who else have them?
Hags?
Human-Headed Tengu?
Anthropomorphic Shark (Daggernose (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daggernose_shark) or Goblin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_shark))?

So, what's about those points?

Mr Adventurer
2017-11-01, 01:05 PM
Half-ogre from Races of Destiny.

Then go into Warblade or Swordsage and take Tiger Claw manoeuvres. 'Claw' is a discipline weapon for Tiger claw; and you can get manoeuvres that mimic Rend.