PDA

View Full Version : DM Help LMoP side quest (Harpers/Red Wizards), maybe some spoilers

FlyingMonkyMan
2017-10-28, 12:25 AM
I am currently running a campaign with three characters (Monk, Bard, Cleric) and they wanted to recruit Sister Garaele to their party. When they rolled a nat 20, who was I to refuse? This was after getting the answer from Agatha about Bowgentle's Book. After recruiting the Cleric to the Harpers, I had her be the subject of an assassination attempt. With some quick thinking and Medicine checks (and a vial of antitoxin) they managed to save her and are going to go after the Druid Reidoth to fully heal her.

I have decided that I am going to make the Sister a Red Wizard in disguise, having infiltrated the Harpers to gather information on Bowgentle's Book so that she can gain the power for herself. The assassination attempt was made by the Harpers to keep her from getting the book. I will make her say that she is honor/oath bound to do no harm to living creatures and can only provide healing for when she joins the party. However, I want to create a blood-mage or some sort of "evil" build that can heal for when the characters find out about her and she attacks them.

I have thought about making a quest to a library where a lich resides (chaotic neutral) whose sole drive is to aquire and preserve knowledge. Additionally, a group of clerics (Order of the Black Hand?) have reached an accord with the lich and have taken up residence in the "library". The order uses black/dark magic for good (or something like that). Also, the library doesn't have books but is full of skulls that the clerics use Speak with Dead to get information from (victims of lich? dead heroes?)

My question: Ummmmm, help? I have never written my own adventures before and this is the first time that I really want to, but I have no idea how to start. I think that I have the premise but REALLY need help with the details. Anything helps, really. I really want to create a kick-ass adventure that will draw the characters in and not be something that will drive them away or be a long haul type of situation.

Also, Red Wizards because Lost Mines is going to lead into Tyranny of Dragons, and I've had the Red Wizards infiltrate everything. (Sort of like the Illuminati)

SiCK_Boy
2017-10-28, 09:06 AM
When they rolled a nat 20, who was I to refuse?

The DM. I just hate how everyone seems to give rolls of 20 some magical, universe-bending power. Players should not have 5 % chance to just succeed at anything, all the time, under any circumstances... Anyway, that's my rant.

The rest of your scenario still looks interesting. I'm always a bit wary when I hear talk of "liches" involved with characters of level < 5, but still... One suggestion I have for you, if you have access to it, is to look up in the Princes of the Apocalypse module. There is one of the temples that does include a lich living as a bit of a recluse next door to a bunch of cultists. You could possibly repurpose that portion of the module for your own adventure.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why you link the Red Wizards to Tyranny of Dragons (there is minimal relationship between that adventure and the Red Wizards), but it should not prevent you from having Sister Garaele be a Red Wizard in disguise.

FlyingMonkyMan
2017-10-29, 11:31 AM
In Tyranny the Red Wizards are trying to bring about Tiamat to make her a Draco-lich under their control.

I don't intend on the characters meeting a lich at level 5 lol. If they somehow get to the area early they will see the lich in passing or something; I don't want to kill them all. Yet.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll have to take a look at it.