PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Role Replacment, Is this right?

Flicker Nicker
2017-10-28, 01:14 AM
So due to the nature of the setting Ive cooked up their are no dragons, always liked the big scaly things but their not to be prominent. So I made or well am trying to make their replacement I've got the lore and style down even some cool mechanics, but making them equal and challenging to a group that tends to min max most my monsters into the ground. So the style here is eldritch abomination meets giant arachnid. Here is the creature type I've drawn up.

Spiderkith(and kin)
d10 hit dice
full base attack progression
good saves across the board,
Skills 6+int, Class skills Survival, Craft, Stealth, Perception, Intimidate, Auto hypnosis, Spell Craft, Knowledge's 2 of its choice, Bluff, and Climb.
traits tremorsense 30ft
60ft darkvision and lowlight vision
proficient with no armor or weapons beyond natural
most eat and breath need not sleep.
immunity to sleep, paralysis, and daze.
squeeze may count them selves as a size category lower without penalty
maxmized hit points (this is an adaption for this party.)
weapon finesse as a racial feat.

then individually well different family's and types makes big differences.

an Example one though well here this is one that a test threw at a different party in a different game(been planing this a while)

Siren of Cascara
(juvenile choirister)
8d10+48 (128)
Size Large
Str 16 Dex 20 Con 22 Int 12 Wisdom 18 Charisma 12
Feats, Ability Focus (song of spheres), Improved Grapple, vital strike, Night stalker.
Initiative +5
AC 22 (+8 natural +5 dexterity -1 size)
Fort +12 Reflex +11, Will +10
DR 10/magic
CMD 27

Piercing Legs +13/ (1d8+3)*2
Bite +11 (2d6+3+posion DC 20 1d4 Wisdom temporary.)
space 10ft/5ft,
reach 10ft/5ft with bite,
speed 30ft/climb 30ft
Base attack +8, CMB +13/15 for grapple
skills stealth +18 Bluff +9, Perception +12, Autohypnosis +12, Knowledge Nature +9, Survival +9, Preform Song +16*racial +4.
languages elvish and common,
Specials
Webbing DC 16 reflex for not being caught DC 18 strength check to bust out once caught.
Orb 4d6 Acid damage touch attack +13 reflex 16 for half, splash does half to anyone adjacent full round action.
Aura 60ft song of spheres Will save 20 versus charm person the spider is a beautiful maid, So long as in this aura creatures do not receive the normal bonus against enchantments from combat.
May control up to hitdice x4 hitdice of huminoids at a given time, of up to hitdice individually threw charm magic,
at will enscrollment(target must be cocooned)DC 18
cocoon half action after a target is restrained in grapple they may be cocooned effectively making them helpless. Strength Check DC 18 to break out but suffering a -4 once cocooned, as a swift action the spider may split open one of its cocoons with its legs.
CL 2nd (cleric)
3, 1st level castings,
spells prepared
Doom (for the one with the highest saves DC 18 will)
Shield of faith for best combat thrall, +2 AC
Murderous command (for who ever is next to a mage,)
CR 9~

this lovely lady had been running an "inn" with its en scrolled luring in who ever came by and only kept ones pretty enough to catch its eye, it had a number of half spiders serving under it from this habit as it was in its second century.

aimlessPolymath
2017-10-28, 02:25 AM
So, it sounds like you're inventing a whole new creature type, somewhere between aberration and vermin. That's fine, but I'd keep my eyes on the prize for now:
What is this type doing for your setting? Dragons are big, nasty boss monsters, and their base traits reflect this, with a wide variety of defenses; your spiderkin seem to be tricksy strange beings, more akin to aberrations than to vermin stylistically. As such, I'd change them to aberrations with a special subtype(Spiderkin), personally, similar to what archons/angels do.

On to your specific creature:
I would make exactly one change, and then slap CR 8-10ish on it.
The change is that creatures don't receive the normal +5 bonus vs. Charm for being in combat. That way, after the party slaughters their way through the minions, the Siren has some real offensive options (otherwise, its defense is disproportionately higher than its offense)

Flicker Nicker
2017-10-28, 11:03 AM
Dragons are big, nasty boss monsters, and their base traits reflect this, with a wide variety of defenses; your spiderkin seem to be tricksy strange beings, more akin to aberrations than to vermin stylistically. As such, I'd change them to aberrations with a special subtype(Spiderkin), personally, similar to what archons/angels do.

I would make exactly one change, and then slap CR 8-10ish on it.
The change is that creatures don't receive the normal +5 bonus vs. Charm for being in combat. That way, after the party slaughters their way through the minions, the Siren has some real offensive options (otherwise, its defense is disproportionately higher than its offense)

Made the change on the creature profile, and hmm that's a good point making them variant aberrant. I will definitely consider that. They are meant to be big nasty boss monsters of varying sorts, theirs five main breeds Choristers like the above, Their all sneaky, illusionist, natural clerics. This ones pretty young as mentioned a juvenile on the scale. Though I might shift their spellcasting over to wisdom based oracles, and give them the dark tapestry Revelation at Adult hood. Actually theirs a thought I think I'm going post example versions of each breed, from each progeny along with little lore bits and personality profiles probably at the adult stage?