PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I Have a Superficial Understanding of Crafting Things I Would Like To Indulge, 5th Ed

AstralFire
2017-10-28, 11:01 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12P9ogaoBVxJTN9LF5kGhGTC18L3wsFUsJ-5Ci9ckzn8/edit#gid=0

Basic Principles: It's meant to be semi-realistic at describing the average product made like this. While it is simplified to reduce calculation time, it is not really meant to be balanced for power, as I find that crafting is the thing players most plead 'realism' on and also the mechanic that is most likely to lead to accidental problems for your worldbuilding if you divorce from reality too hard. Items are assumed to be built from relatively common base parts, and this can take longer if basic supplies aren't around; for example, while the curing of the leather is factored into the time for crafting leather armor, minor leather components are assumed to already be available for someone crafting breastplate. Judgment calls were made with things like longbows; a simple bow can take literally years to prepare the basic wood for, but if you have prepared wood already available, it's a quick process.

Focus and Rate Limit: You get 10 focus points in a day you don't adventure (representing roughly 10 hours of work) and 2 in a day that you do. Rate Limit is the maximum number of focus points you can spend towards a single copy of that item in a day and roughly simulates the fact that various parts require time to cure, set, etc. If you hit the rate limit on an item, you can still work on other copies of that item that day at no drawback.

Helpers: This determines the amount of people that can help you build the thing.

Solo: You can't receive any assistance whatsoever. You can always attempt to craft assistant style items by yourself; this is for the rare item that cannot be made with any help at all.

Assistants: Assistants must spend an equal amount of focus points assisting you as you are spending, but their contributions do not go towards paying the final focus cost. You are still the only one putting forth actual focus points towards completion of the item, but you may roll an additional d20 for each qualified assistant you have when determining the final quality of the item -- as if rolling with advantage from receiving help, but not limited to a maximum of two. The GM determines what makes an assistant qualified; usually this is proficiency in similar tools or tools that contribute to minor parts of the work, but some labor is unskilled. Material cost for assistant projects assumes you are working alone and must calculate wages (if any) separately for helpers.

Team: Team items can work like assistants or crews up to a maximum of 10 people in any configuration. Material cost for team projects assumes you are working alone and must calculate wages (if any) separately for helpers.

Crew: Crew items allow a maximum of the number of people listed to contribute focus points to construction equally. Generally these very large projects require multiple proficiencies and if you attempt to craft with fewer than the minimum, you may run into additional slowdowns. Material cost for crew projects includes the cost of paying average people to assist you. Each member of a crew is individually affected by the rate limit.

Days: The mininum days for one person to make this (or crew of maximum size, for jobs which require a crew)

Cost: I will probably leave this at the rules' suggested 50% for most items, but I'm leaving this in for my own benefit if I decide to tweak. Material costs for most projects assume you are working alone and must calculate wages (if any) separately for helpers; however, wages are built into the cost for crew projects.

Red Text: While I'm not an expert in any of these fields, some of them I feel even less confident than others, and would appreciate additional checking and information. If I'm off by a power of two or more, I really wanna know. Technology assumed is roughly European Renaissance.

---------------------

Where I'd like to go from here:

Refine for any major deviations from reality
Tweak what's left for balance (refining costs)
Work out special material guidelines.