PDA

View Full Version : Change self size at will?

ayvango
2017-10-28, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking about the Confound the Big Folk tactical feat. To use it against medium creature you need shrink to tiny size. Against huge you could remain medium, which is useful for many combat and outside of combat purposes (threat range, weight limit, speed). So I'm searching for a way to change character size as frequent as needed. Magic items, class features - everything is ok, since I had not decided yet classes for the build. I like the feat conceptions and want to utilize it to the fullest.

Nifft
2017-10-28, 05:14 PM
Kobolds are Small (same reach as Medium, etc.), and with the Slight Build feature from the RotDr web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a), they qualify as Tiny for any "size modifier or special size modifier" if that would benefit the Kobold.

Boggartbae
2017-10-28, 05:53 PM
Alter Self is a level 2 spell, so you could get an item (probably a hat) that lets you use it at will for 18,000 gold (caster level X spell level X 2000 gp for at will items, then multiply that by 4, 2, or 1.5, depending on if the spell's duration is rounds, minutes, or 10 minutes, per level, respectively)

ayvango
2017-10-28, 05:58 PM
I tried my best to avoid pure cheese of venerable dragonwraught cobold but I always knew that I would get into it eventually

Malimar
2017-10-28, 06:15 PM
Psychic Warrior with expansion and/or compression? (At level 7 you can use them to change 2 size categories, so you could be natively Small and then change to anything from Diminutive to Large. And then count as Fine if you're a kobold, so you could even use Confound the Big Folk on pseudodragons and rats.)

I tried my best to avoid pure cheese of venerable dragonwraught cobold but I always knew that I would get into it eventually
Dragonwrought kobold isn't cheesy. Being a venerable DWK possesses a slight aroma of cheese but seems to be well within intended usage. Treating DWK as a True Dragon is where the cheese comes in. It's hard to cheese a melee DWK, and you don't even need to be dragonwrought for Nifft's suggestion to work.

Nifft
2017-10-28, 06:18 PM
Tibbit are a race from Dragon Compendium which can turn at-will from Small (humanoid-shape) into Tiny (housecat-shape).

This has additional implications, of course -- housecats can't wield spiked chains, for example -- so it might not be useful to you.

Bakkan
2017-10-28, 09:34 PM
A method that will likely not work, inspired by a recent thread: Take one level of monk and then either buy a necklace of natural attacks or take some levels of Kensai and enchant your unarmed strike (which is arguably the monk's whole body) with the sizing enchantment.

Nifft
2017-10-28, 09:46 PM
A method that will likely not work, inspired by a recent thread: Take one level of monk and then either buy a necklace of natural attacks or take some levels of Kensai and enchant your unarmed strike (which is arguably the monk's whole body) with the sizing enchantment.

They call him Littlefinger.

But seriously, that won't work.

Crake
2017-10-29, 12:30 AM
Kobolds are Small (same reach as Medium, etc.), and with the Slight Build feature from the RotDr web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a), they qualify as Tiny for any "size modifier or special size modifier" if that would benefit the Kobold.

The problem with this is that you need to actually be tiny to enter a medium creature's square, and be at least two sizes smaller than your opponent, which are of the requirements of confound the big folk, and kobolds with sleight build cannot do that, as they are only considered tiny for size modifiers. None of the bonuses from confound the big folk are actually size modifiers, so kobold would get nothing out of it unless they were against large creatures, as per normal.

Allanimal
2017-10-29, 01:29 AM
the Wu Jen spell Minute Form will make you Tiny, Diminutive, or Fine size, depending on your caster level.
But it's an 8th level spell, so limits your class choices significantly, and when this option comes online.

Boggartbae
2017-10-29, 03:30 AM
BTW to Clarify my Alter Self comment: Alter Self lets you grow or shrink 1 size category, so you if your starting size is small, then you have a size range of tiny-medium.

Metahuman1
2017-10-29, 04:13 AM
the Wu Jen spell Minute Form will make you Tiny, Diminutive, or Fine size, depending on your caster level.
But it's an 8th level spell, so limits your class choices significantly, and when this option comes online.

It also sadly has a casting time of 1 minute in 3.5 if I recall right, and a duration of the same. Unless your also using Incantatrix, it's sadly not viable. Which is a damn shame since it would be awesome.

While personally I think Compression is the best your likely to get, and even that in many cases leaves you in a position were the DM will just start throwing class leveled goblins or pixies at you to thwart you, I recommend also having a chat with the DM.

Explain the idea to him. If he likes Attack On Titan pitch it as setting/franchise explain it as setting up to do that to most opponents. (I personally hate the franchise but whatever.) Maybe even ask about the Necklace of Natural Weapons and a dip into Unarmed Swordsage. Get that, go down much as needed, pick up Shadow Blade Strike and either Child of Shadows or Assassin's Stance while your at it. Maybe both if you take 2 levels, and either Kung Fu Genius or Astetic Mage if your not feeling Wis heavy.

Another approach, which I'm actually having a lot of fun doing in a game right now, is to see if he'll let you do something to your character pre or at the start of game. You interrupt some wizards ritual or get hit with some unique artifact that get's stolen, or something, and as a result, you get cut down to *Insert Desired Size Category Here.*, but your movement speed and Str/Con are unaffected. (This is so that this doesn't totally cripple your character.).

I'm doing it on a ranger//cleric type in a gestalt game right now with hanks energy bow and a DM willing to let me house rule up a size Fine - to offset Colossal + (Sort of an opposite extreme for that.), playing a roughly Green Army Man sized character, and just having a good old time role playing how weird the interactions and environments are for her, and taking full advantage of my stealth and bonus to hit to reliably pay for Power Shotting.

Take advantage of Role Playing your characters curiosity/distaste/frustration/annoyance/weird sense of enjoyment of the situation, and go from there.