PDA

View Full Version : [Deathwatch RPG] Neoborožen Borecs

JNAProductions
2017-10-28, 09:56 PM
Neoborožen Borecs

The Neoborožen Borecs came about in a rather haphazard fashion. A lightly defended sector came under attack, both internally and externally, from a massive Ork WAAAGH! The epicenter of the internal WAAAGH! was on the sector's forge worlds, leaving the production of Astartes and other equipment crippled. However, the High Lords knew they could not simply leave the Orks to their devices, and so arranged for a chapter to be formed to counter them. The Neoborožen Borecs came to the sector, and within just a few years, found themselves drained of nearly all equipment. So, they took to fighting with minimal equipment-scavenging from the Orks themselves (what technology worked without the power of an Ork behind it) and fighting with their gauntleted hands, rather than any conventional weapons.

Their geneseed is relatively pure, with no major defects.

The Neoborožen Borecs are quick to anger or to laugh, full of headstrong emotions, and always eager to take the fight to the enemy. They may have spent a touch too long fighting the Orks, for they have an almost Orky love of brawl.

The chapter favors quick and close-range combat, granting them +5 to WS and Agility.

The hero of the Neoborožen Borecs is a simple Battle Brother, who took to a cunning and brutal plan. When his squad was no more, he alighted on his jump pack to a position high above the battlefield. He sought out the Warboss, and flew to directly in front of him.

He challenged the Warboss to single combat. The Warboss simply laughed, and directed his nearby Nobz to handle the impudent warrior, but in a flash, the Battle Brother was behind them. He made no strikes-simply dodging the Nobz as their wild swings and flailing blows took each other down. The Warboss was intrigued, by now.

The Battle Brother once again challenged the Warboss, who this time accepted. He hefted his Power Klaw, aiming to strike down the Marine, but the Battle Brother was too quick. He dodged the blows, and let out a flurry of his own, with nothing but his bare fists. The Warboss laughed-could this really be his weapon of choice?-until an uppercut knocked four teeth out.

Livid now, the Warboss began to lash out in a blind fury. And, while his blows nicked and harmed the Battle Brother, no blow seemed to ever land properly, while the Battle Brother landed punch after punch on the flesh of the Warboss. Orks from all around began gathering around, watching the spectacle.

The fight lasted nearly an hour. The Warboss's flesh was, by the end, bloodied and bruised, a purplish morass of wounds, but the Battle Brother's armor had taken such a beating it was barely functional.

Thank you, the Assault Marine said.

Eh? Wuzzat fer? the Warboss asked.

For gathering your men, he replied.

Fire at will.

The artillery bombardment wiped them out to the last greenskin.

No name was ever recovered for the heroic Battle Brother who single-handedly stalled the oncoming Orks long enough for the trap to be laid, but he is forever remembered.

The Neoborožen Borecs are a fleet-based chapter, having no permanent home. There are approximately four vessels at any given moment, typically patrolling their original sector, though they do often travel to where Ork incursions are the thickest.

The chapter favors Lightning Assaults.

For Solo mode, Neoborožen Borecs have "Never Unarmed", a passive bonus. They gain the Tearing quality with Unarmed Strikes and Power Fists. At Rank 3, they may parry with Unarmed Strikes and Power Fists become Unbalanced, rather than Unwieldy. At Rank 5, Unarmed Strikes become Balanced, and Power Fists lose Unbalanced. At Rank 7, Unarmed Strikes gain +5 to Parry, and Power Fists gain Balanced.

In addition, they have "Empty Hands", requiring Rank 3. At the start of the mission, the character can swear he'll defeat the enemy empty handed. For every objective he completes, which involves defeating enemies in combat, without using weapons, he gains an additional 1 point of Renown. If he uses a weapon, even if utterly necessary, he gains 1 fewer Renown for that Objective. He is also considered to fail this oath (and therefore gain 1 fewer Renown) if he fails to slay even a single enemy-no Battle Brother fights alone except when truly needed, but each Battle Brother must contribute to their fullest.

For Squad mode, they have Oath Of Vengeance, and Only In Death. [This is to be edited]

The founding of the Neoborožen Borecs leaves them chronically under-equipped. As such, they have no Devastator Marines, and few Techmarines.

Their Preferred Fighting Style is completely unarmed. They practice to a vast extent the ability to land critical blows without any weapons at all, using only gauntleted fists.

This chapter honours their ancestors, most notably the unnamed Assault Marine.

The Neoborožen Borecs are, currently, understrength.

The Inquisition... Well, they don't ENJOY the company of a Neoborožen Borec, but they tolerate them more than other Astartes. The lack of any weapons makes smuggling the Marines in easier, see. The Adeptus Mechanicus, meanwhile, both loves them (for not needing much gear) and hates them (for not using much gear). Orks as well hate the Neoborožen Borecs-they almost would've loved them, if it wasn't for the end of the fight.

Their battle cry is "For kin and killing!"

Their heraldry is a simple, plain circle of deepest navy.

Their Chapter Advances are spoilered below use Behold Our Wrath (Rites of Battle page 41), but replace Double Team with Hammer Blow (500 XP required).

bluntpencil
2017-10-29, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't list the Solo Mode as 'while Solo'.

Passive Solo Modes can actually be used in Squad Mode, making them pretty awesome. The non-Passive ones require the use of Cohesion (see: Rites of Battle).

I'd also be sure to incorporate a drawback for breaking the 'Empty Hands' oath.

JNAProductions
2017-10-29, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't list the Solo Mode as 'while Solo'.

Passive Solo Modes can actually be used in Squad Mode, making them pretty awesome. The non-Passive ones require the use of Cohesion (see: Rites of Battle).

I'd also be sure to incorporate a drawback for breaking the 'Empty Hands' oath.

Holy cramoly, that's awesome. And useful-Fists of Tearing Fury! :P

Breaking the oath requires you to use a weapon (other than grenades) and causes you to lose 2 Renown, as well as not gaining any on your current mission. It does NOT break if you simply fail to defeat an enemy or need assistance, though you don't gain any renown should those occur.

Seem fair?

bluntpencil
2017-10-29, 11:14 AM
Holy cramoly, that's awesome. And useful-Fists of Tearing Fury! :P

Breaking the oath requires you to use a weapon (other than grenades) and causes you to lose 2 Renown, as well as not gaining any on your current mission. It does NOT break if you simply fail to defeat an enemy or need assistance, though you don't gain any renown should those occur.

Seem fair?

I'd simply go with 'If he uses a weapon, even if utterly necessary, he gains 1 fewer Renown for that Objective', so it's equal and opposite to the gains, but not too drastic. It means that, if he's going unarmed, then comes against a tank, he can switch to grenades, or a thunder hammer or something, and not get penalised too much.

I'd avoid allowing grenades, since that'll make grenades something they go to as a rule, especially against Hordes (the smaller penalty means they can use grenades if fighting a tank, but it might require thought). I'd also allow for assistance - he isn't swearing to fight alone. I'd maybe include a phrase stating that he must slay at least one enemy, so that he isn't carried by the others.

JNAProductions
2017-10-29, 11:17 AM
Alright, done.

Thank you again.

bluntpencil
2017-10-29, 11:21 AM
Alright, done.

Thank you again.

No worries.

I had the Renown idea after seeing the Space Wolf Oath Solo Mode, and also because I don't think being unarmed should be better than having a chainsword, but I think that people that do it should be respected for being ballsy enough to do it. The knock on effect of earning the right to use Power Fists earlier is cool, too.