PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magus-like Sorcerer Idea

ATHATH
2017-10-28, 11:53 PM
Okay, imaginary scenario/build concept here:

On my turn, I take a move action to move towards an enemy. I then use a standard action to cast a touch-range spell (and try to hit the enemy with it), preferably while casting defensively. I then use my swift action to make an attack with one of my claws from the Draconic Claws feat, which then triggers my Snap Kick, giving me an extra unarmed attack as well. I then trade one or both of those attacks for trip attempts. If I successfully pull off a trip attempt, my Improved Trip feat then triggers, giving me an extra attack. I then use this attack to attack with something better than my fists or claws, like a heavily-enchanted sword or the weapon created by the Blade of Pain and Fear spell.

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Any suggestions on how to improve it? Is there a way for me to easily auto-succeed on my defensive casting checks or otherwise not take an AoO when casting my touch spell(s)? Any recommended prestige classes to enter or feats to take? Any ways for me to get even more free attacks from my swift action/trip attempt?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-28, 11:58 PM
Improved Trip says, "...you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt." So whatever attack you traded for the trip attempt is the attack Improved Trip gives you, there's no trading it out.

ATHATH
2017-10-29, 12:02 AM
Improved Trip says, "...you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt." So whatever attack you traded for the trip attempt is the attack Improved Trip gives you, there's no trading it out.
Aw. Scratch that part of the plan, then.

Can I deliver spells that can be delivered multiple times (Chill Touch, Corrosive Grasp, Parching Touch, etc.) with my unarmed attacks? If so, does my unarmed attack still do damage in addition to delivering the effect?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-29, 12:35 AM
Can I deliver spells that can be delivered multiple times (Chill Touch, Corrosive Grasp, Parching Touch, etc.) with my unarmed attacks? If so, does my unarmed attack still do damage in addition to delivering the effect?

Yes and yes, every time you make physical contact with a creature you deliver a touch spell you still have active, including when you make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strike still delivers its normal damage.

ATHATH
2017-10-29, 01:09 AM
Yes and yes, every time you make physical contact with a creature you deliver a touch spell you still have active, including when you make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strike still delivers its normal damage.
Ooh, that's interesting.

That only lasts until I cast a different (touch?) spell, though, right? I can't just cast a bunch of (unique/different) Chill Touch-like spells before battle and one-shot the first few enemies I touch, right?

Nifft
2017-10-29, 02:51 AM
Take a look at Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

Kurald Galain
2017-10-29, 05:08 AM
That only lasts until I cast a different (touch?) spell, though, right?
Yes, casting a new spell dissipates your held touch. But note that one casting of Chill Touch is good for one attack per caster level.

death390
2017-10-29, 11:37 AM
generally what your looking for is the Duskblade class (players handbook 2). it is a partial caster (starting lvl 1) 0-5 spell level but has a large quantity of spells/day (6/10/10/10/8/6), free combat casting. get light/medium armor proficiency and can cast in it. full base attack bonus (+1/lvl), has a feature that allows you to channel a touch spell though a melee weapon (not just unarmed strikes), upgrades later to a full attack combined with the touch spell (touch spell affects every attack that round), 1/day +1/5lbl free quicken spell starting lvl 5, and lastly gets a bonus to overcoming spell resistance.

if you want a natural attack while you technically cant get draconic claw, there are many other ways to get natural attacks. shape soulmeld form magic of incarnum can net you several different natural attacks, lords of madness abberant feats can get you tentacle attacks, ect.

this is what the pathfinder magus was based on.
Alternative to defensive casting is Sleight of hand check vs opponents spot check. Races of stone made this possible by allowing you to hide your casting motions and mask your verbal components using sleight of hand. this said it is easier for some monsters and impossible to use for others.

Below is defensive casting DC's vs concentration checks.
DC for defensive casting is 15+ spell level. (duskblade DC 20 max, sorcerer DC 24 max)
the following does not count combat casting or con modifiers.
lvl 1 spells DC 16 Lvl 1: max ranks (4) need to roll 12 or better.
lvl 2 spells DC 17 (dusk 5/ sorc 4) max ranks (8/7) need to roll 9/10 respectively.
lvl 3 spells DC 18 (dusk 9/ sorc 6) max ranks (12/9) need to roll 6/9 respectively.
lvl 4 spells DC 19 (dusk 13/sorc 8) max ranks (16/11) need to roll 3/8 respectively.
lvl 5 spells DC 20 (dusk 17/sorc 10) max ranks (20/13) duskblade has automatic success while sorc needs to roll 7.
lvl 6 spells are only available to the sorcerer and needs to rolls 6 or better, as you notice every spell level for the sorcerer after the second needs 1 less number on the die as they become available.
lvl 9 spells (sorc 18+ only) DC 24 max ranks 21, need to roll 3 or better.

with the free combat casting feat from the duskblade (+4 to defensive casting) +max ranks per level + at least a 10 con (+0) you only have to roll 8 or more for level 1 spells, 5 or more for level 2 spells, 2 or more for level 3 spells, and levels 4 and 5 are auto-success when they become available with only 16 ranks/con mod totals.

contrast this with sorcerer who needs to keep their concentration as high as possible at all times or/and get concentration since they only lower their max DC by one each spell level when available. Also they never get auto-defensive casting without combat casting or +3 con mod.

ATHATH
2017-10-29, 11:44 AM
generally what your looking for is the Duskblade class (players handbook 2). it is a partial caster (starting lvl 1) 0-5 spell level but has a large quantity of spells/day (6/10/10/10/8/6), free combat casting. get light/medium armor proficiency and can cast in it. full base attack bonus (+1/lvl), has a feature that allows you to channel a touch spell though a melee weapon (not just unarmed strikes), upgrades later to a full attack combined with the touch spell (touch spell affects every attack that round), 1/day +1/5lbl free quicken spell starting lvl 5, and lastly gets a bonus to overcoming spell resistance.

if you want a natural attack while you technically cant get draconic claw, there are many other ways to get natural attacks. shape soulmeld form magic of incarnum can net you several different natural attacks, lords of madness abberant feats can get you tentacle attacks, ect.

this is what the pathfinder magus was based on.
Alternative to defensive casting is Sleight of hand check vs opponents spot check. Races of stone made this possible by allowing you to hide your casting motions and mask your verbal components using sleight of hand. this said it is easier for some monsters and impossible to use for others.

Below is defensive casting DC's vs concentration checks.
DC for defensive casting is 15+ spell level. (duskblade DC 20 max, sorcerer DC 24 max)
the following does not count combat casting or con modifiers.
lvl 1 spells DC 16 Lvl 1: max ranks (4) need to roll 12 or better.
lvl 2 spells DC 17 (dusk 5/ sorc 4) max ranks (8/7) need to roll 9/10 respectively.
lvl 3 spells DC 18 (dusk 9/ sorc 6) max ranks (12/9) need to roll 6/9 respectively.
lvl 4 spells DC 19 (dusk 13/sorc 8) max ranks (16/11) need to roll 3/8 respectively.
lvl 5 spells DC 20 (dusk 17/sorc 10) max ranks (20/13) duskblade has automatic success while sorc needs to roll 7.
lvl 6 spells are only available to the sorcerer and needs to rolls 6 or better, as you notice every spell level for the sorcerer after the second needs 1 less number on the die as they become available.
lvl 9 spells (sorc 18+ only) DC 24 max ranks 21, need to roll 3 or better.

with the free combat casting feat from the duskblade (+4 to defensive casting) +max ranks per level + at least a 10 con (+0) you only have to roll 8 or more for level 1 spells, 5 or more for level 2 spells, 2 or more for level 3 spells, and levels 4 and 5 are auto-success when they become available with only 16 ranks/con mod totals.

contrast this with sorcerer who needs to keep their concentration as high as possible at all times or/and get concentration since they only lower their max DC by one each spell level when available. Also they never get auto-defensive casting without combat casting or +3 con mod.
I already know about Duskblades and Hexblades, but thank you for trying to help.

ATHATH
2017-10-29, 11:45 AM
Take a look at Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).
I already have looked at it, but thanks for reminding me about it.

ATHATH
2017-10-29, 04:13 PM
I just realized something: Draconic Claw works really well with Spellthieves, since the claw attack can presumably steal spells for you (which you can then cast on your next turn to trigger the Draconic Claw feat again).

I might switch to a Divine Companion Sorcerer 1/Trickster Spellthief 9/Chameleon 2/??? 8 build with the Master Spellthief, Draconic Claw, Obtain Familiar, Snap Kick, and Godsblood Spelltheft feats.

Crake
2017-10-30, 09:09 AM
Okay, imaginary scenario/build concept here:

On my turn, I take a move action to move towards an enemy. I then use a standard action to cast a touch-range spell (and try to hit the enemy with it), preferably while casting defensively.

You can cast the spell first, the move and perform a free action touch attack in the same round, removing the need to cast defensively unless you're being provoked at your initial location:

You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.

ATHATH
2017-10-30, 09:58 AM
You can cast the spell first, the move and perform a free action touch attack in the same round, removing the need to cast defensively unless you're being provoked at your initial location:
Huh. Neat.