PDA

View Full Version : Divination and the BBG

AthasianWarlock
2017-10-28, 11:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to spying on the BBG. Metafaculty has the down side that you have to have *seen* the BBG before. I am wondering if some monster with an SU ability can scry to get a look? BBG is probably mind blanked as well. Does anyone have tips or tricks?

Crake
2017-10-29, 12:36 AM
If he's mind blanked, and metafaculty is out of the option, then your only real method is good old fashioned mundane investigation. Some DMs may be permissive and allow commune to work, since you're asking literal gods for information, and dieific magic can surpass mind blank, but others see that as going against what mind blank says, in that a 5th level spell is learning information about them, so it shouldn't work.

Try going after people he works for, he can't keep every single layer of his infrastructure mind blanked, that would be far to cost prohibitive. Start at the bottom, get a name, work your way upward, until you find his second in command. I would suggest being mind blanked in the process, so he can't just scry and fry you himself.

Eldariel
2017-10-29, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Elemental Weirds [MMII] get infinite free action Contact Other Planes among other things so you can literally divine everything you want about anything with 99% accuracy in a free action by either becoming one or turning into one. And yeah, it's a Su ability. Be careful not to break things too hard though - as written Elemental Weirds are overpowered beyond the 9th hell. In general, the way to get past Mind Blank is to use indirect divination such as Contact Other Plane, Commune and company; just ask deities. It's much harder for the BBEG to be invisible to deities (Vecna-Blooded, personal demiplane with at least Divination as a banned school of magic or a blank no magic trait, or some such) so this is probably a fairly reliable source of information as long as you can account for the drawbacks of those spells (ask sufficient questions to confirm one another to increase the likelihood and contact the best source).