PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic Weapon Enhancements and Other Magic Items

bmc88
2017-10-29, 12:58 AM
Lets say I am a rogue and I would like to use the +2 Weapon Enhancement "Deadly Precision" to get an extra +2d6 Sneak Attack.

Is it possible to create a magic item that would impart that bonus rather than using it in a weapon?

For example could I (or someone with the appropriate casting and item creation abilities) create a ring with the spell "Keen Edge" to gain the same bonus for +2d6 sneak attack?

From what I understand creating a ring with continuous use of that spell would be much more expensive. But is it possible?

I know Deadly Precision is a weapon enhancement, so I suspect the answer is no. But that weapon enhancement uses the spell keen edge and would it be possible to craft that spell into a ring?

Thanks!

afroakuma
2017-10-29, 01:38 AM
The crafting rules are advisory by their own definition; it's noted that a ring of protection from evil provides much more value than the standard estimation. There's no reason to suggest that you can't concoct an item such as you describe, but the costs of creation/purchase will need to be arbitrated by your DM on the basis of extrapolating the value and comparing it to the sample bonuses of the pricing "guide."

In short, check with your DM or look at reducing your needs from an "always on" effect to a charged item with a spell trigger requisite - the pricing for those is a good deal less finicky.

bmc88
2017-10-29, 02:10 AM
The crafting rules are advisory by their own definition; it's noted that a ring of protection from evil provides much more value than the standard estimation. There's no reason to suggest that you can't concoct an item such as you describe, but the costs of creation/purchase will need to be arbitrated by your DM on the basis of extrapolating the value and comparing it to the sample bonuses of the pricing "guide."

In short, check with your DM or look at reducing your needs from an "always on" effect to a charged item with a spell trigger requisite - the pricing for those is a good deal less finicky.

Ok thanks. I'm actually the dm. just trying to wrap my head around magic item creation for the first real time :)

So there is nothing that prohibits weapon enhancements from being used on magic items other than weapons?

afroakuma
2017-10-29, 02:15 AM
So there is nothing that prohibits weapon enhancements from being used on magic items other than weapons?

I should clarify: there is nothing that prohibits you from creating an item which does exactly the same thing as a weapon enhancement. It should have a different cost associated and likely will not be particularly convenient without being significantly more expensive, but there's no reason you couldn't make a ring of the stiletto strike which lets the wearer deal an additional 2d6 points of sneak attack damage and doesn't stack with the deadly precision weapon property; or a glove, or an eyepatch, or what have you.

Putting a weapon property on an item not intended to hold one (a weapon or an amulet of natural attacks, for instance) should probably end up imparting that weapon property to the item when used as an improvised weapon. Behold my goblin bane piano. :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-29, 11:17 AM
First of all, while the keen edge spell might be used to craft this item, the spell itself has nothing to do with Sneak Attack when you cast it normally.

Secondly, while it's true that you're the DM and you can technically do whatever you want, the magic abilities of weapons and armor were not intended to be put onto non-weapons and non-armors or their equivalents. This is D&D, not Skyrim.

If you insist on making a ring or a wondrous item that replicates a weapon special ability, I agree with afroakuma that it should probably be significantly more expensive. After all, besides the fact that you're putting the ability onto an unusual kind of item, you're also enabling the character to use the ability with any weapon (or weapons) that they happen to have in their possession instead of just the single weapon that the ability was meant to be placed on. That's a huge benefit!

Of course, the first step for pricing a custom magic item is to compare the effects to any similar existing items. I can't think of any items off the top of my head which grant or increase Sneak Attack damage, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There's also the Chausible of Fell Power, an neck-slot item for Warlocks that increases their Eldritch Blast damage by 1d6 for 8,000 gp or 2d6 for 18,000 gp. You could maybe use that as a comparison point if you don't find any items that do it for Sneak Attack.

death390
2017-10-29, 11:58 AM
i would second using amulet of natural attacks as a baseline, don't forget that you could make the item slotless if you don't want it to take up a magic item slot but x2 cost.

i would suggest looking though the magic item compendium for generalities as well. i think the warlocks scepter is another close equivalent it is a charges/day item that adds 1D6-4D6 to a warlocks eldritch damage. 8k gold.

another warlock equivalent is the chasuble of fell power (and greater version). it is a throat item that adds 1D6 (2d6 greater) to the warlocks eldritch blast. 8k (18k greater).

for those two warlock items however there remains a problem, a warlocks blast is a standard action to use. whereas sneak attack can do many attacks in a round. this means that even 1D6 can technically add a half dozen or more dice to a full attack.

then again the weapon augment crystals (MIC p64) cost 3k and add 1d6 elemental damage (pick one for a crystal) when using a lesser crystal. not on these crystals is that least crystals require masterwork, lesser require +1 magic equipment, and greater requires +3 magic equipment.

another option is to build a magic item to simulate a feat (martial study from Tome of battle: martial stance feat: assassins stance) general consensus is about 5-10k +5k per prerequisite. so 10-15k for this idea.

bmc88
2017-10-29, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Its not so much that I wanted to do my example in my game. I'm just trying to understand magic item crafting better.

Deophaun
2017-10-29, 01:07 PM
Lets say I am a rogue and I would like to use the +2 Weapon Enhancement "Deadly Precision" to get an extra +2d6 Sneak Attack.
You would first need to talk to your DM and ask if you can use a (presumably) older version of Deadly Precision, as it's actually a +1 ability that grants +1d6 to Sneak Attack (MIC, pg 32).

That said, read weapon enhancement descriptions carefully. Many work just fine on a gauntlet or bootblade or armor spikes even when you aren't attacking with them. Deadly Precision isn't one of these because it states that the weapon deals damage, but Collision is, because it says you deal the damage and it's not contingent on attacking with the weapon.