PDA

View Full Version : tempest/ evoker or tempest/dragon sorcerer or storm sorcerer

djreynolds
2017-10-29, 03:49 AM
I'm curious about running a human variant tempest cleric/ wizard or sorcerer. No UA material, only PHB and SCAG

Without any party combinations to worry about... which do you like better

I'm looking for about 2 cleric and 9 wizard or sorcerer. Though 1 cleric/ 10 sorcerer could be interesting. As well as 6 cleric/ X wizard or sorcerer.

I would like to begin as a cleric for monetary purposes, and starting equipment... but I can be talked out of my foolishness.

I'm not looking to be in melee, so a 13 strength required for chainmail is fine
And I could care less about stealth
I want wisdom and con save proficiency, so beginning wizard or cleric or sorcerer nets me this with human variant

More than likely I would I will grab either resilient con or resilient wisdom at human variant 1.

Starting stats look like this

Cleric 1/ wizard 4 13/8/16/18/13/8 resilient con

Cleric 1/Sorcerer 4 13/8/16/8/13/16 resilient wisdom

Sorcerer pros:

dragon or storm
obviously metamagic
social skills

Wizard pros:

evoker
spell book
knowledge skills
Sculpt spell seems to be very good for "undisciplined" teammates getting in my way, while I'm trying to blow everything up

So is metamagic enough of a sell here to go with sorcerer

Or is having the variety of a wizards spellbook better

Waazraath
2017-10-29, 04:18 AM
I think the main reason to go with tempest cleric, beside the heavy armor, is the channel divinity that maximes lightning or thunder damage 1/rest. On the average adventuring day, that's 3/day.

This means that tempest cleric 2 / sor (or wiz) 3 can cast a maximized shatter in a 3rd level slot. This is about as strong as a fireball. Is absolutely great. The main disadvantage of multiclassing for full casters is that you lose out on high level spells known. When others cast fireball, you cast a relatively weak level 2 spell, like shatter. Not with a tempest cleric 2 dip though! At least as far as area damage goes. At later levels this only gets better with lighting bolt and chain lightning (absurdly strong)

So I'd never, ever, go only tempest cleric 1. Always start with tempest cleric 2, the rest afterwards.

As for which full caster (sub)class to follow up: storm sorcerer is obviously very flavourful. There is some synergy, if you're willing to go melee. Several storm sorcerer abilities are close ranged focused, and I think you can combine quickened Booming Blade with a spell and then tempesteous magic (get out of melee range without eating an AoO), forcing the opponent to move and take the extra BB damage, or stand still (out of melee range).

But as long as you pick thunder and lighting spells, both wizard and dragon sorcerer should be fine as well.

SaA
2017-10-29, 04:46 AM
for the most optizied path you can take it

i would suggest this

8 lv Tempst
12 Storm Sorc - for the stat bump and you get Chain Lightning at level 11, which maximized is so good

Also you hit every ASI this way

multi classing wont let you get the endcap abilities anyway

Tempests next ability is Stormborn at 17, which is just a fly speed
and
Storms next are at 14th, Thunderous Rebuke with no rest cool down and a push back
and 18th Fly speed

djreynolds
2017-10-29, 07:02 AM
Its for SKT, I was going to play a ranger but someone else took it.

So its level 11.

SaA
2017-10-29, 08:31 AM
Then start with 6 levels Storm Sorc, At 6 you get all the class abilities you really want anyway, the other two are as i said in the previous post.
plenty of sorc points at this level aswell. 3rd Level Sorc spells aswell. and 5 Cantrips, so lots of usability , also you will have lightning bolt. pretty much the thing you wont have is Chain Lightning, and if you dont want chain lighting no need to really put more points in sorc

then put the rest of the levels in Tempest, and keep doing so until you reach 8 in tempest, or if you just want to continue with Cleric keep going in it.