PDA

View Full Version : Xanathar's Spells Speculation

Beechgnome
2017-10-29, 08:27 AM
So we've seen the Wizard spell list and it has all the Elemental Spells plus about 38 new spells, including a few, but not all, from the UA for starter spells. In total, there are 77 spells listed.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Spells.pdf

But there is this:

http://www.phdgames.com/dd-5e-spellbook-cards-xanathars-guide-wotc-gf9/

...Which says there are 95 spells and options for spellcasters.

Now, do we believe this will include/reprint all the Elemental Evil spells, or that the options will include the 15 or so warlock Invocations and other spellcaster abilities? Because it can't do both.

If it reprints EE spells, and the options bit is meaningless, that means only 18 more non-wizard spells in the book, of which five would be EE (magic stone, beast bond, Warding wind, maelstrom, bones of the earth).

Likely another 10 would be from starter spells: say, hand of radiance, virtue, primal savagery, guiding hand, puppet, unearthly chorus, ceremony, wild cunning, zephyr strike and chaos bolt, for example).

That leaves only 3 higher level non wizard spells? I hope not.

If the 40 some EE spells are not there, we would/could replace them with 15 Invocations and, uh, what exactly?

So with all of this guesswork in mind, what non-wizard, higher-than first-level spell do you want to see in the book?

I want Sticks to Snakes for Clerics and Druids, and maybe something like the Mystic Despair abilities like the old Emotion spells. What does the forum want?

JackPhoenix
2017-10-29, 09:26 AM
Ceremony is clearly visible amongst the cards you've posted. Remember also that classes share spells amongst them: Toll the Dead (also visible amongst the cards) was spell both for wizard and cleric.

jaappleton
2017-10-29, 09:37 AM
I want more line Concentration based, line spells. Stuff like Sunbeam, but a level 4 version of it. And specifically, I want it on Clerics.

Something to really pair well with the Light Cleric's capstone, Corona of Light.

Beechgnome
2017-10-29, 09:39 AM
Ceremony is clearly visible amongst the cards you've posted. Remember also that classes share spells amongst them: Toll the Dead (also visible amongst the cards) was spell both for wizard and cleric.

Yeah many of the wizard spells are clearly meant for other classes: no doubt warlocks will get the demon summoning, bards danse macabre, Clerics dawn and life transference, etc., Rangers the swift strike spell, etc.

I'm just curious about spells that are Not on that page.

jaappleton
2017-10-29, 09:42 AM
Yeah many of the wizard spells are clearly meant for other classes: no doubt warlocks will get the demon summoning, bards danse macabre, Clerics dawn and life transference, etc., Rangers the swift strike spell, etc.

I'm just curious about spells that are Not on that page.

I'm not so certain Warlocks will get the demon summoning spells.

They didn't before. The spells were first released, although they were more specific (Conjure Shadow Demon, Conjure Vrock, etc) when they first appeared in That Old Black Magic. Those spells were available only to Sorcerers and Wizards.

Beechgnome
2017-10-29, 09:44 AM
I want more line Concentration based, line spells. Stuff like Sunbeam, but a level 4 version of it. And specifically, I want it on Clerics.

Something to really pair well with the Light Cleric's capstone, Corona of Light.

I feel like Sickening radiance and dawn may(?) Cover that need, but who knows til we see them. Not sure they'll be line, though.

And hopefully the Hand of Radiance cantrip made the cut.

Beechgnome
2017-10-29, 09:46 AM
I'm not so certain Warlocks will get the demon summoning spells.

They didn't before. The spells were first released, although they were more specific (Conjure Shadow Demon, Conjure Vrock, etc) when they first appeared in That Old Black Magic. Those spells were available only to Sorcerers and Wizards.

True. I figured since they got Conjure Fey they'd get it, but maybe not.