PDA

View Full Version : Making a personal 5e book project

Hellstick
2017-10-29, 09:58 AM
I've been getting into book binding lately. As such I'm playing with the idea of making and binding my own book with reference material for 5e. Generally what I want is a single book in which I can keep all my character sheets along with any reference material I might need for creating and playing my characters.
Here's a list of what information I want the book to contain:
- A ton of character sheets
- Playable races and subraces
- Playable classes
- Backgrounds
- Spells
- Feats
- Items and prices (Along with the list of the adjusted prices for magic items)
- Exp table along with any other tables that might be relevant.
I'm going to source the material from players hand book, dungeon masters guide, volo's, elemental evil, and Xanathars (once it's released). I'm not planing on using UA or playtest material in general (unless there is a valid reason to in which case enlightenment is much appreciated :) ).
The problem is that I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something that might be relevant to add to the book, and thus I'm hoping you guys can help me pinpoint where to find any material I might have missed. Is there any sources I should check out? Anything that would be cool adding to the book that I haven't listed already?

Just to make it clear, this is a personal project for my own use and I won't be selling copies or anything, so hopefully it'll be perfectly legal.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help :)

AshLake
2017-10-31, 02:27 PM
I would add homebrew content, atleast make a chpter dedicated to homebrew content.

Hellstick
2017-11-01, 02:49 AM
I was thinking more in terms of official content since we don’t really use home brew as such at the tables I’ve played at. Are you referring to anything in particular? :)

Vaz
2017-11-01, 02:57 AM
Magic Items, Feats (3rd party or otherwise), subclasses, spells and monsters are pretty common choices for homebrew

Hellstick
2017-11-01, 01:02 PM
I Think I’ll stick to official content. Makes it easier to draw the line as well. Both in terms of what to include/not include but also in terms of what is allowed in a standard game of dnd. I realize that by that logic there is official content that shouldn’t be included, such as arakokras or winged tieflings (since most DM’s seem to ban these) but I recon they still have a place in this book since they are part of raw. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Sigreid
2017-11-01, 01:50 PM
It all depends on what you want. Maybe home town maps?

Since you're making it only for yourself and have no intention of marketing or distributing it, assuming you have legal access to all of the content you will use this should be well within the fair use laws.

Eragon123
2017-11-01, 01:58 PM
I Think I’ll stick to official content. Makes it easier to draw the line as well. Both in terms of what to include/not include but also in terms of what is allowed in a standard game of dnd. I realize that by that logic there is official content that shouldn’t be included, such as arakokras or winged tieflings (since most DM’s seem to ban these) but I recon they still have a place in this book since they are part of raw. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Well, a lot of DM's like this fix for 4E monk.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/35yn4u/way_of_the_four_elements_remastered_a/

and well this one isn't nearly as popular but I feel like this class needs more attention.
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6uiqxh/arcane_tradition_school_of_geometry_for_wizards/?ref=share&ref_source=link