PDA

View Full Version : flanking sneak attack + telling blow feat.

death390
2017-10-29, 10:35 AM
By RAW does the telling blow sneak attack damage activate on critical hit if you are already are making a sneak attack using flanking?

by the specifics of the feat it doesn't say that it doesn't work if you are already sneak attacking. add to the fact that it only happens when you do hit a critical, then i don;t think it would be to overpowered. most good crit weapons are 18-20 (keen 15-20) are fairly low chance of critting. hard to hit enemies (for 3/4 bab) make crits difficult to land and tend to need the extra damage to kill, and easy to hit enemies would die quickly anyway.

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-29, 11:03 AM
No, the bonus damage from Sneak Attack doesn't stack with itself. Telling Blow just enables an alternate method of getting your Sneak Attack on.

death390
2017-10-29, 12:30 PM
and can you tell me what that is based on? from what i can see there is no reason for it to not be RAW legal. specific trumps general and the feat specificaly states on crit add sneak attack.

Deophaun
2017-10-29, 12:56 PM
It's poorly worded so this is a case where there's no one RAW interpretation that's correct. Which means ask your DM.

In some campaigns, the permissive interpretation is broken. In others where you have uber-chargers dealing over a thousand damage, not so much.

death390
2017-10-29, 01:05 PM
yeah, its still a decent feat either way for a ranged build to get further than 30ft sneak attack another way (just difficult to execute)

i mean a quickdraw craven crossbowsniper telling blow rouge can do decent damage at larger ranges than 60ft. heck add a level of targetter fighter to get snipe and increase the crit range can more reliably get sneak attacks.