PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Hex-blade 1/ Bard Whispers X help with magic secrets.

The15thwiseone
2017-10-29, 11:27 AM
Hey all, I plan on making a character which is a travelling bard as cover for his nefarious con-man/hit-man true persona. His proficients (as a charlatan) would be Double deceit and persuasion (at his current level), normal on performance intimidation arcana and slight of hand.

Ultimately I am curious what I should get for secrets of magic when i get to level 6. I was planning on getting thundering smite for the knock back, but then again I have other spells and abilities at my disposal for keeping people away from me.

This is the first time playing a Bard, and the amount of options are perhaps overwhelming. I of course want to go for Haste (at level 7 of my character) but I do not know the other best options. What are your guys opinions?

Thanks.

Ferrin33
2017-10-29, 07:45 PM
Any reason why you're only taking 1 level in Warlock and not 2 for the invocations?

As for your actual question about what spells would be good; Animate Dead, Find Steed, Conjure Animals, Mirror Image(If you don't plan on going Warlock3), Fireball, Find Familiar(if you don't go warlock3/5 for pact of the chain/tome with book of ancient secrets), or Rope Trick.

The15thwiseone
2017-10-29, 10:13 PM
Any reason why you're only taking 1 level in Warlock and not 2 for the invocations?

As for your actual question about what spells would be good; Animate Dead, Find Steed, Conjure Animals, Mirror Image(If you don't plan on going Warlock3), Fireball, Find Familiar(if you don't go warlock3/5 for pact of the chain/tome with book of ancient secrets), or Rope Trick.

I'm going for hex+charisma to weapon damage. Also access to martial weapons and medium armor for 1 dip into it. Also the access to the spell shield.

Thank you for your tips, I will see how my character develops over time might find it better to go 15/5 in the long run.

Chugger
2017-10-30, 03:38 AM
Another common lore bard pick is the pal lvl 3 spell aura of vitality. This is best combined with a 1 dip into life cleric (which probably gets you heavy armor, as that is a domain feature and not a class feature). If you want to crazy heal dip enough into sorc to get the meta magic that doubles the length of aura spell - you can start it in a battle and battle-heal, then after the battle is over keep on healing til the party is all full health, which will typically happen (you're doing 20 rounds of healing at 2d6 a round plus 5 or so from the life dip - watch losing concentration - get a feat to stop that if you go this way).

Since you're stating hexblade you may not wanna go this way - but why you wouldn't take fireball and a good control spell like hunger of hadar ... well, at least give them a look. Good solid spells.

Ferrin33
2017-10-30, 08:31 AM
I'm going for hex+charisma to weapon damage. Also access to martial weapons and medium armor for 1 dip into it. Also the access to the spell shield.

Thank you for your tips, I will see how my character develops over time might find it better to go 15/5 in the long run.

If that's the case then I highly recommend taking College of Valor or College of Swords(Unearthed Arcana) for the Extra Attack or Extra Flourish abilities, otherwise you won't gain much from making your regular attacks better if you only have one of them. (Alternatively, one more level of warlock for the Agonizing Blast invocation and you will have a solid cantrip to attack with for your entire carreer)

Ventruenox
2017-10-30, 03:32 PM
Lore Bard gets the Magical Secrets at 6, Whispers gets a hybrid Disguise Self + Detect Thoughts of someone you killed at 6. Whispers can be pretty great in a heavily political campaign, but you may find that Warlock 2 for the Invocations will get a lot more mileage for the investment.

Friends cantrip + Mask of Many Faces invocation is a classic combo. With your build, having advantage on a CHA roll with Expertise on top means you can get convince most NPCs to believe whatever you want, then change the disguise before the negative of Friends kicks in. Or use it to frame someone or turn NPCs on each other.

The attack cantrips Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and Eldritch Blast (+Agonizing or Repelling Blast) can also carry you throughout your whole career. Most DMs will let you refluff them to suit your character's image.

For Magical Secrets, I actually like Find Steed (Fey or Fiend). Easy getaway, useful in combat for mobility or other shenannigans, a con man could actually sell them while disguised and then recast it for an ongoing source of income. Depending on the DM, at higher levels he may even allow you to give it abilities like flight.

If you go Warlock 3, a Chain Pact familiar has amazing versitility. (Spike drinks with poison while invisible, gaslight your marks to think they are going crazy, spying or acting on your orders while you establish an alibi, etc.)