PDA

View Full Version : 5e instrument of the bards/ crafting one?

MeatBeaterPeter
2017-10-29, 11:11 PM
first im just wondering which if any 5e campaigns have any of these items? im rolling a bard in our next 5e adventure (were playing hoard of the dragon queen) so im curious if our adventure has one or if i should beg the dm to add one/ consider magic item crafting cause theyre pretty slick.

second question. how long/gp would it take for a player to make an instrument of the bards? more specifically one of the "uncommon" rarity ones? normally an uncommon item takes 500 gp to craft and a player level 3, however even an uncommon bards instrument can cast like 7-8 different spells. is the cost/ crafting duration still the same?

also im sure someone has asked this question before but it says a character must be able to cast any spells that the item can produce. does "can cast" mean the spell is on your class spell list? or that it is known/prepared? if so that makes crafting one of these items much more complicated for a bard, which learns spells rather than prepares them. it would be especially difficult when crafting a fochlucan bandore, because shilleleigh is not even on the bard spell list. it would be much easier for a wizard to make one of these magic items (if wizard has all the right spells on its list) because they prepare their spells, but a wizard wouldnt even have a use for it.

it might even become more complicated because you must be able to expend an adequate amount of spell slots per day you spend crafting the item that are equal in level and number of the amount of spells the magic item can cast. maybe this can be done for one of the uncommon instrument of the bards, but i havent checked the numbers of everything. what i really want to know now is if it is even possible for a bard to craft an instrument of the bards? can any character singlehandedly make one or does it require the effort of multiple spellcasters?

Marvnmartian
2017-10-30, 09:13 AM
Well if you look at the spell list that the instruments gain alot of them arn't on the bards spell list and alot of them are split inbetween druid and wizard so if your dm will allow you to make them he would have to hand wave that part of crafting.

But do know these instruments might look great but they arn't effective in combat in application they are much better just as a increase of out of combat spell options. Fly, levitate

the only option that is a functional choice for combat as well as out of combat options is the CLI lyre cause two wall spells is a good use of concentration but the other instruments kinda fall flat with only a single option that would make carrying it around in combat worth while

So personally i had the option in making my bard (started level 5 and was offered to pick 2 uncommon items) I grabbed winged boots, cause they are broken as well as head band of intellect was my dump stat then allowed me to multiclass into knowledge cleric and be able to do all of the intellect skills as well as the charisma skills and was a true skill monkey

MeatBeaterPeter
2017-10-30, 10:16 AM
But do know these instruments might look great but they arn't effective in combat in application they are much better just as a increase of out of combat spell options. Fly, levitate

the only option that is a functional choice for combat as well as out of combat options is the CLI lyre cause two wall spells is a good use of concentration but the other instruments kinda fall flat with only a single option that would make carrying it around in combat worth while

So personally i had the option in making my bard (started level 5 and was offered to pick 2 uncommon items) I grabbed winged boots, cause they are broken as well as head band of intellect was my dump stat then allowed me to multiclass into knowledge cleric and be able to do all of the intellect skills as well as the charisma skills and was a true skill monkey

Yeah i really just wanted one for some 1/day non combat spells to save resources for actual combat. Im also not that interested in using broken magic items bc my first campaign our dm handed out magic items willy nilly thay ended up breaking the game and made it not fun. I think the bard instrument is balanced and would just add flavor.