PDA

View Full Version : Does Polymorph and Enlarge Person stack?

Nuavion
2017-10-30, 03:09 AM
If I use a Phylactery of Change to polymorph into a creature of large size, and drink a potion of enlarge person, would I grow into a huge creature? Asking for a friend.

Knaight
2017-10-30, 03:11 AM
You probably want a different Enlarge spell, but otherwise yes.

Psyren
2017-10-30, 03:17 AM
3.5 yes, Pathfinder no.

Mordaedil
2017-10-30, 03:17 AM
Not as per say, really. Changing yourself using Polymorph changes your base creature, so spells like enlarge person no longer works as you are no longer a humanoid. I suppose it could work if you were a gnome wizard turning yourself into a human and then consuming said potion, but otherwise the spell has no effect on giants or most monsters that are larger than medium.

If you could create a spell like enlarge monster, then you'd be golden, but other spells often cite that you can't stack enlarge person with them if they already alter your size, so be ready for a DM to simply make the call that you cannot stack size altering spells.

Nuavion
2017-10-30, 03:21 AM
You probably want a different Enlarge spell, but otherwise yes.
I could get a potion that increases my size that's better than enlarge person?

Not as per say, really. Changing yourself using Polymorph changes your base creature, so spells like enlarge person no longer works as you are no longer a humanoid. I suppose it could work if you were a gnome wizard turning yourself into a human and then consuming said potion, but otherwise the spell has no effect on giants or most monsters that are larger than medium.

If you could create a spell like enlarge monster, then you'd be golden, but other spells often cite that you can't stack enlarge person with them if they already alter your size, so be ready for a DM to simply make the call that you cannot stack size altering spells.
This makes sense. I shall then stock up on enlarge monster potions then.

Knaight
2017-10-30, 05:20 AM
I could get a potion that increases my size that's better than enlarge person?
This makes sense. I shall then stock up on enlarge monster potions then.

That's pretty much it. Polymorph is likely to make Enlarge Person do nothing, so you need a different enlarge spell.

Dimers
2017-10-30, 06:51 AM
Though if you find a Large-sized humanoid and you polymorph into that, yes, they'll stack just fine. Seems unlikely -- those should be "giant", not "humanoid".

So what you want is the psi power expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm). The psi equivalent to potions is tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm). A psionic tattoo of expansion costs the same as a level 1 potion, 50gp.

If you have money to burn, you can get a tattoo of expansion ML3 to have it last longer, or ML7 to grow two sizes, or ML9 for both improvements.

Larsen
2017-10-30, 07:56 AM
Though if you find a Large-sized humanoid and you polymorph into that, yes, they'll stack just fine. Seems unlikely -- those should be "giant", not "humanoid".

But since giants are humanoids in PF, giant form spells should work just fine

Bronk
2017-10-30, 07:56 AM
This doesn't work in 3.5 either, the rule is oddly contained right in the Enlarge Person spell: "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack."

If you polymorphed into something of large size, but were smaller than that before, that's a magical effect that increased your size, and it won't stack with another spell no matter what the other spell is.

Nuavion
2017-10-30, 08:11 AM

So what you want is the psi power. The psi equivalent to potions is tattoos. A psionic tattoo of expansion costs the same as a level 1 potion, 50gp.

If you have money to burn, you can get a tattoo of expansion ML3 to have it last longer, or ML7 to grow two sizes, or ML9 for both improvements.
This might be just what I need. I'll look into this and consult the DM. Thank you kindly.

This doesn't work in 3.5 either, the rule is oddly contained right in the Enlarge Person spell: "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack."

If you polymorphed into something of large size, but were smaller than that before, that's a magical effect that increased your size, and it won't stack with another spell no matter what the other spell is.
This is what I've heard but wasn't sure. Unfortunate.