PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Build Help Warlock vs Dragonfire Adept

Rizban
2017-10-30, 11:35 AM
Alright, I'm looking into a character for an upcoming campaign and am having trouble deciding between the two different but similar builds. Any thoughts, insight, optimization, or suggestions along these themes would be highly appreciated.

The two builds are: Dragonfire Adept/Ur-Priest/Eldritch Disciple
Warlock/Dread Necromancer/Eldritch Theurge
The only feats set in stone other than any PrC prerequisites, due to the character concept I'm going for, are Brand of the Nine Hells and Mark of Malbolge, both from Fiendish Codex 2. Everything else is pretty much open to change.

The Viscount
2017-10-30, 02:53 PM
Dragonfire Adept has a hard time working with Eldritch Disciple. It can certainly qualify, but several gifts of the divine patron can't be used, and you miss out on Eldritch Spellweave entirely. This is a shame, because you can use Eldritch spellweave with Vitriolic Blast on a Flash Frost spell to make spells ignore SR.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-30, 05:09 PM
Dragonfire Adept has a hard time working with Eldritch Disciple. It can certainly qualify, but several gifts of the divine patron can't be used, and you miss out on Eldritch Spellweave entirely. This is a shame, because you can use Eldritch spellweave with Vitriolic Blast on a Flash Frost spell to make spells ignore SR.
You could make it cover DFA stuff easily enough (breath effects are pretty similar to eldritch essences, after all; the Gifts could work like breath effects, and Eldritch Spellweave could be altered to work with area-of-effect spells only), but by RAW you might have trouble, yeah. On the other hand, using Ur-Priest is absolutely going to be stronger than using Dread Necro, so...

I think the bigger question is "what role do you want to fill?" DFA is a much more control-focused class than Warlock, with its best schticks revolving around debuffing wide groups of enemies at once.

TalonOfAnathrax
2017-10-30, 05:26 PM
Warlock is an awesome class that I think beats Dragonfire Adept every time.
And not only because it's cool.

Pick invocations to increase your mobility and survivability, pick The Dead Walk and take Dread Necromancer levels, and you're a tough and effective necromancer. It's great!

Mike Miller
2017-10-31, 08:03 AM
Alright, I'm looking into a character for an upcoming campaign and am having trouble deciding between the two different but similar builds. Any thoughts, insight, optimization, or suggestions along these themes would be highly appreciated.

The two builds are: Dragonfire Adept/Ur-Priest/Eldritch Disciple
Warlock/Dread Necromancer/Eldritch Theurge
The only feats set in stone other than any PrC prerequisites, due to the character concept I'm going for, are Brand of the Nine Hells and Mark of Malbolge, both from Fiendish Codex 2. Everything else is pretty much open to change.

Is Hellfire Warlock off the table? I prefer warlock but both are good classes.

Rerednaw
2017-10-31, 10:02 AM
Did you need to prestige? DFA20 is actually pretty solid.
How high of optimization are you looking for? I'm assuming not Tier 1-2 obviously.

Between the two I am more fond of DFA, but that's a personal bias.
Su ignores spell resistance. This can be a BIG problem at higher levels (Warlock gets acid to bypass)
You can switch energy types easier...especially if you are a reborn dragonborn (I prefer whisper gnomes as the base race for this).
No attack rolls. Granted a touch attack roll is pretty easy to work with. But I prefer just rolling damage.

But if you are set on the prestige...I think warlock edges out DFA because again DFA is better if you don't branch out.

Good luck whichever you decide!