PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapon Problem

kpenguin
2007-08-16, 11:58 PM
I've been DMing a game for some time and my brother just decided he likes DnD again. He wants to play a rogue, or a "rouge" as he calls it for some reason, and has selected a halfling as his race. We've decided on a dagger-throwing type guy, so I've selected feats working towards Master Thrower and the RoW variant with the +1d6 sneak attack for him. However, upon choosing the equipment, a troubling problem is the weaopnry. Because daggers aren't ammunition, you need to enchant them individually. Therefore, getting enchanted weapons isn't practical on a large scale. So, what is the best way to make up for this?

Damionte
2007-08-17, 12:02 AM
You enchant daggers to return, thus you only need 1-2 of them.

RiOrius
2007-08-17, 12:05 AM
One solution would be to use shuriken instead; IIRC, they're treated as ammunition in some respects (crafting, breaking after thrown, etc.), but still have the thrown weapon flavor (as well as STR bonus to damage).

Alternatively, get a +1 Returning dagger, and add whatever other enchantments you like. Thus, you only need to buy one enchanted weapon, but can throw it throughout the encounter.

Drider
2007-08-17, 12:10 AM
or have a bunch of nonmagic ones and use magic ones just against bigger thereats?

Douglas
2007-08-17, 12:14 AM
Don't bother getting magical throwing daggers until you can afford a returning one. Unfortunately, you'll still need multiples to make a full attack because each dagger doesn't return until the next round.

If you have Tome of Battle, four levels in Bloodstorm Blade make your thrown weapons not only return for free but return fast enough to full attack with just one of them.

kpenguin
2007-08-17, 06:02 PM
I'm sticking with 8 daggers, with one made of alchemical silver, one made of cold iron, and the rest standard masterwork. I don't have ToB, unfortunately, and with 4th edition coming out, I'm not planning on buying any more books. The halfling has 10 strength to adding that bonus to damage isn't an issue.

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-18, 09:54 PM
There's a glove that gives the 'returning' property to all weapons thrown from it. Believe it gives the 'throwing' property as well.

Gauntlet of Tarnat the Vigilant or somesuch.