PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me optimize a level 10 Sorlock Bladelock!

LeonBH
2017-10-30, 03:30 PM
Hi guys, I'm starting a level 10 character which I'd like to be a Sorcerer/Warlock. My pre-racial bonus stats are very good: 16 Str 15 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 16 Cha. I'm taking Variant Human. All books and Unearthed Arcana are allowed.

My goal is to specialize in nova damage, but also still serve a function as the group's caster (I will be the only arcane caster in our group, but we'll also have a cleric).

I will be starting with Gauntlets of Ogre Strength.

My idea: +1 Dex, +1 Cha (from Human racial bonus), and +1 Cha from Human Determination feat (UA), for a stat array of 19 Str 16 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha with the item. Ignore the fact that I could have put the 12 in Strength and boosted it with the magic item for now, as neither Int nor Wis will affect my damage anyway, and I want to keep them there for RP purposes.

I'll go Sorc 5/Bladelock 5 with the invocations: Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon. I'll also have the Quickened Spell and Empowered Spell metamagic. This will give me two ASIs, one of which will be a +2 Cha and the other will be Great Weapon Master.

My Bladelock will create a Greataxe as his Pact Weapon.

We'll roll initiative. On turn 1: Quickened Haste (bonus action), attack twice for 1d12+4+1+10 each (weapon dice, Strength modifier, magic weapon bonus from Invocation, GWM), and attack once more with the hasted action. With a 3rd level Eldritch Smite added on top of that, I'll add another 4d8 damage, also knocking the target prone. Assuming all attacks hit, that's an average of 82.5 damage. I've expended 2 Sorcery Points and 2 3rd level spell slots.

Turn 2: Attack thrice (twice from Thirsting Blade, once from Haste) with GWM and 2nd level Eldritch Smite, and then Quicken Empowered Lightning Bolt. That is 111.33 damage on average, if all attacks hit. I've expended another 2 Sorcery Points, one 3rd level spell slot, and one 2nd level spell slot.

I've so far dealt 193.83 damage, and I now have 0 Sorcery Points, 1 3rd level spell slot, 2 2nd level spell slots, and 4 1st level spell slots left. My third round's bonus action will have to be spent converting a 2nd level slot into Sorcery Points while I attack some more.

Is there a better build using the Sorlock constraints, and still using a Variant Human? I'm trying to avoid dealing less damage than a Blastlock while still having the gish feel, but not be too shoehorned into just one style of play. I plan to diversify by picking up spells like Counterspell and Phantasmal Force when pure damage will not cut it.

I also have a choice between Cloak of Flying and Ring of Spell Storing, and I'll be starting with an Amulet of the Planes, which should nicely cover my arcane casting needs, particularly for escape, banishment, and travelling.