PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Check - Rantar, Slavic Raccoon Race

Jendekit
2017-10-30, 05:20 PM
I am working on a homebrew race called Rantar. Take raccoons, make them bipedal with a love of tricks, traps, pranks, and a slavic inspired culture and youi'll be on the right track. Mostly, as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for mechanics feedback on the race abilities to make sure that it isn't too weak or two powerful. Currently I only have the 5e one finished but in another day or two (3rd of November at the latest) should have the Pathfinder variant up for critique.

Rantar Racial Features
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Short lived compared to most other races, Rantar reach adulthood at the age of 9 and few live to reach 60.
Alignment. Rantar are typically Chaotic Neutral. Close knit but mischievous, often to the point of maliciousness with outsiders. For those within their families, they show unmatched loyalty and protectiveness.
Size. Rantar average roughly 2½ feet tall and most weigh around 30 pounds. Your size is Small.
Speed. Fast on your feet, your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Accustomed to the day-long winter nights and shadowy forest undergrowth, you have superior vision in dim and dark conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Underestimated. Your small size and resemblance to small animals makes foes initially underestimate you. Any enemies that attack you during a surprise round before you act have Disadvantage. Note that this does not cancel Sneak Attack damage.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Rantar.
Subrace. Nearly all rantar live either on the open tundra or in boreal forests. This has resulted in two main subraces: boreal rantar and tundra rantar.

Boreal Rantar
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 2.
Crafter. You gain proficiency in the artisan’s tool of your pick: leatherworker’s tools, smith’s tools, or tinker’s tools.
Naturally Stealthy. You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size category larger than you.

Tundra Rantar
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom increases by 2.
Gods’ Blessing. You know one cantrip of your choice from the druid spell list. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it.

Thanks for your feedback.

lagninja
2017-10-31, 01:56 PM
Seems about on par with an Elf, if a little weaker. Small with 30ft speed seems a little off balance, but compared to races with flight, its perfectly fine.

Jendekit
2017-11-03, 04:07 PM
Doing this on my phone so forgive the lack of any formatting.

The pathfinder rantar stats are as follows:
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -4 Str
Humanoid (rantar)
Small
30 ft. base movement
Low-light vision
Bonus feats (Run, Rapid Reload [choose at character creation])
Master Tinker- +1 racial to Disable Device, automatically proficient with any weapon they personally make
Stealthy- Perception and Stealth class skills
Trapmaker- +2 racial to Craft (trapmaking)
Weapon Familiarity (hand crossbow and repeating crossbow [choose heavy or light at character creation])
Languages: Common & Rantar. Bonus- Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan

I feel pretty comfortable with the pathfinder racial stats, but I would still like feedback from the playground